Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for an inexpensive, fixed power scope for a Marlin 60 .22 rifle?

It's a squirrel/target gun, so I'm looking to zero at 50 yards.

I've reached the age where my eyes are changing, and not for the better.

(may have to scope my nagant 91/30, but that's another thread...)

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
Any suggestions for an inexpensive, fixed power scope for a Marlin 60 .22 rifle?

It's a squirrel/target gun, so I'm looking to zero at 50 yards.

I've reached the age where my eyes are changing, and not for the better.

(may have to scope my nagant 91/30, but that's another thread...)
Iv'e been lookin for one for my marlin 60 too. Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Bushnell

Bushnell 4x32mm Rimfire. I used this link because it was the fastest I had access to that would give you a picture. If you're shopping online, MidwayUSA, Natchez and Cheaper Than Dirt would also be places to price check (remember they add shipping, so add that into the final cost from them).

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-4x32-rimfire.html

Here is Bushnell's page :

http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_22rimfire.cfm?section=Hunting

More expensive would be Burris, Nikon, Leupold - ones I've seen suggested over on Rimfire Central.

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
I ended up gettin the BSA 4x32 scope, and a set of Leopold See Thru rings, that way I can still use the iron sights if the scope gets knocked off zero. I going to sight it in the wekend after christmas.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
My marlin 925 is what I shoot the most rounds out of. Therefore, in my opinion it sould have the best scope. I have a burris fullfield II on mine. Cost me $200 bucks but it was a package with a gps combo. It's a long range rifle scope, but I am not having paralax problems when using them on squirrel in the 25-75 yards range. My scope does cost more than my gun, but it was worth it. 22's seem to get bumped around more than your favorite deer rifle.

I've heard BSA is pretty good. and overall, cabela's brand scope have had decent reviews. Some bushnells aren't bad but that about the 100+ mark.

·
woo pig sooie
55 Posts
To be perfectly if it were me I wouldnt put a scope on it. I would go out and get a magnafier sorta like what ppl use on high quality pistols, and sometimes on shotguns. It looks like a part out of a video game, but all it does is magnify the image like 2 times out, it also has a red dot on the glass that seems to be three dimensional and floats on target.
Or if you were just adamant about a scope, go to Wally World, and pick up a little tasco air rifle scope. At 50 yards, thats all you really need, unless of course you cant see a thing, then by all means get something bigger. just my opinion.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Marlin/Glenfield model 60. This one is like the AK47 of the small game world. Pretty hard to mess them up unless you fall on the load tube.

I have had them topped in the cheapie tasco 4X and a nice redfield 6X. Was thinking about picking up another one as they come cheap in the pawns. Either of those scopes was fine, but the 6x was a little overkill as most small game can be taken up close. The skull of the deer should not be attempted at more than 30 yards and nose down toward you, or through the eye at a 45 degree angle to the rear. Though the .22 is illegal for deer in most all of the 50 states.

CCI stingers are tops , but don't feed in every 60. Rem hollow points are good as well.

The cheap tasco has the advantage in that if you break it you can afford one on the shelf to replace it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I bought a model 60 years ago that came with a real cheap 4x ( i think ) Tasco scope. Once sighted in I had to take it off, it was too good!!! No sport left; what I put the crosshairs on is where the bullet hit. I just saw that same cheap scope for like 11 bucks at the store where everyone should speak chinese and which shall not be named.

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
I ended up gettin the BSA 4x32 scope, and a set of Leopold See Thru rings, that way I can still use the iron sights if the scope gets knocked off zero. I going to sight it in the wekend after christmas.
I got the Leopold see thru scope mounts and mounted the scope on my marlin/glenfield model 60, and i was able to hit a beer can the first shot even before adjusting windage and elevation. I couldn't believe it. I dialed it in to hit a quarter at about 50 yards, it works great.
The iron sights seem to be a little off to the left, is there a way to adjust them?
Also had a lot of stovepipe jams with the federal 550 box. 1 out of 5 shots.
Tried the blazers and had a few less jams but still about 1 or 2 per 18 rds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
centerpoint

Go for a center point they are cheap reliabe and easy to zero i currently own two a 3-9x 32mm and a 4-16x 40mm magnification on my marlin model 60 i plink at about 75 yards average

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
I have an old Bushnell 3 x 9 x 40 on my Marlin,most non 22 rimfire scopes are parallaxed to 100 yds. vs. the 22 or 22 mag. scopes that are set for 50 yds. but I've never had a problem with it.

I zero my 22 scopes to 50 yds. do some extensive testing with my ammo of choice to see how it shoots at 25,75 and 100 yds. to see what the bullet placement will be. At 100 yds. I can pick off empty 12 ga. hulls aiming about 1" over the top all day long with cheap federal HP ammo.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
2 - 7x and 1.75 - 6x are ideal to magnification at the ranges you'll be shooting, 3 - 9x or 3.5 - 10x if you need to identify at that range but you're also losing field of view as you get higher and vibrations are far more noticeable.

Burris and Leopold both had BDC reticles calibrated for .22 LR.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,164 Posts
I have a compact NCStar 6x-32 rifle scope on my SKS that I really like. Takes a beating and keeps it's zero. Comes with a p4 milling reticle which would be very handy when adjusting for 22lr bullet drop. Product Code NC-RS-SC632B

It's $27 at Optics Planet right now. LINK: http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-compact-rifle-scope-6x32-scope-blue-sc632b.html

Won't add much weight to the rifle and it is fixed focus.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts