Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
that's like, your opinion
17,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at a gun show here in VA last weekend and saw a marlin lever in 44 MAG for $569 (new)... i have about every practical action a gun can come in with the exception of a lever, and was thinking of this to round it out. The show is coming back in late november so i have another opportunity.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a 44 mag carbine that could either talk me into or out of one... it would be a nice companion for my S&W 629 classic.

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
I love my Marlin .44 magnum lever action. It shoots a big bore bullet that is easy to obtain at most gun stores. The .44 magnum bullet packs a good punch and is the ideal shoulder-mounted firearm for controlling things all around you for a 100 yards in any direction. You can't beat it. Mount a scope on it and you have a very accurate saddle carbine that can drop deer, feral pigs and bad guys with no trouble. I'd say go for it.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I have the Marlin and it's a sweet shooter. The .44 mag makes for a great brush gun. I've always like handgun/rifle combos that share the same cartridge and it makes a perfect companion to my Redhawk.

But shooting pistol bullets, it's going to be a relatively short range gun. If you the ability to shoot at longer distances, this is not the gun for it. Even though the heavy slugs retain quite a bit of momentum at longer ranges.

·
17,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got one, but I haven't shot it yet. As others have mentioned, it would make a great woods gun coupled with something like this Ruger Redhawk. I actually prefer the 450 Marlin.

do you mind if i inquire as to what price you paid for it???? the marlin that is, not the redhawk

·
Registered
900 Posts
Great gun!!! However, the rifling (MicroGroove, 1:35 twist) decreases your bullet selection. That being said, this is one fun gun to shoot with an adequate zone of control carrying the right ammo....unless you live on the prairie. If you can find one with Ballard rifling in a faster twist you'll really wring the potential out of it, IMO.

·
17,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WHY IS THIS IN THE "MILITARY WEAPONS FORUM" ????????????????

:confused::confused::confused:
ya got me... excellent question... i suppose the answer is that i normally come to the military weapons forum and forget about the general firearms discussion section...

if a mod sees this please move...

jungleboy - 1, funky - still 0

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
WHY IS THIS IN THE "MILITARY WEAPONS FORUM" ????????????????

:confused::confused::confused:
Marlin was state of the art homeland defense weapon back in the late 1800's. Only in the weak blackpowder big-bore cartridge 44/40 'n such. Load on Sunday, shoot all week.... Back when men were men and took the time to place their bullets where they wanted them. :rolleyes:

Seriously- the 44 mag is a great lever-gun. I had a Marlin. Sold it. Kicked myself in the a$$ and got a Winchester '94 trapper 44m. Not as good a rifle. Loved the pistol grip swell. Loved the side eject/flat top for mounting scope and best of all, with a screwdriver, take off the lever, slip out the bolt 'n field strip that Marlin down.... Winchester recomends what? Take to a competent gunsmith. Yeah, seriously.

Having the ability to shoot the same ammo out of my revolver, excellent. Carry 1 round type. S/A Blackhawks are cheaper/lighter than the DA Redhawk and a 44spl snub is a great backup, and 44spl is still powerful out of the carbine, just alot quieter- but thats not the issue. 357 mag is another great caliber choice. Drops deer, hog, etc. If youre not in elk, big bear, moose country, consider that route. I believe its more accurate out at 100-125yds than the 44mag. Rossi '92 I had was a tack-driver.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The marlin 336 44mag is my go to gun,light kickin 100 yrd whitetail deer killin machine. Cost me 300 bucks many years ago.Lately the price of ammo is gettin a bit much,so I don't plink much.If I was you I'd for go the 44 mag and look for the 357 if you have a hand gun in that flavor. It kills deer just as dead inside 100yrds and half the price to shoot.If money don't matter then go for it.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Great gun, but if you're already covered in a hundred yard or so caliber like a 30-30, it may be redundant. Backing it up with a 44 mag handgun would be my only justification.
(I'd still like to have it though!) Dam practicality...............gets me every time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.