Survivalist Forum banner

Marlin 336 30-30 coming back

768 Views 27 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Magilla
Stumbling around the youtubes this afternoon, and one of my favorite writers happens to be at the shot show . . .

I don't know why, but I've never owned a 30-30, and back when I first heard Ruger was buying Marlin, I decided to wait until that new item showed up on the shelves. I'm definitely looking forward to it.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
4,032 Posts
That was the rifle they should have released first. At least before the 45-70. I am happy to see it. I know they will have rifling that is not Micro-Groove. I'm glad about that. Standard rifling is much better for lead bullets and the 30-30 is a great lead bullet round.

The price will likely be high. I hope they make enough to fill the demand. I am interested. I do wish they would get rid of the checkered stocks. I like smooth much better.

· Registered
4,032 Posts
I'm patiently waiting for the 1894 to be made in .327,I have a Henry .327 love the cartridge but the henry is heavy,clunky action and not very accurate,I much prefer the Marlins to Henrys.
I had a Marlin in 32 mag with the octagon barrel and tube loading and it didn't impress me with its accuracy. It was also heavier than my Marlins in 357 and 44 mag. I was not impressed with the accuracy either. I sold it for 3 times what I paid for it. The 357 on the other hand has been an excellent gun. As I have stated before its my overall most favorite gun.

Maybe adding the 30-30 will inspire Ruger to finally get busy and start offering other models of Marlins. Maybe next a 35 Remington or a 358 Winchester. Or even a 30-35. A 30-30 case necked up to 35 caliber. At least you could find cases for it. Here is a good read on a 30-35.

And last I hope they bring back the 444 Marlin. Its fun to wish. But I don't hold out much hope.

· Bear Fighter
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe adding the 30-30 will inspire Ruger to finally get busy and start offering other models or Marlins. Maybe next a 35 Remington or a 358 Winchester.
35 Remington is supposed to come out this year alongside the 30-30

Model 336

MODEL 336
The Model 336 is fast handling and is an icon of the deer woods. This lever-action rifle is chambered in .30-30 Win. and .35 Rem.
Early 2023

And last I hope they bring back the 444 Marlin. Its fun to wish. But I don't hold out much hope.
I ended up with my dad's 444 after he passed. It's my go-to truck gun/atv gun/brush gun. I wish more ammo was available for it -- right now, only Remington and Hornady (maybe only Hornady at this point) make factory ammo -- but I roll my own.

· Live Secret, Live Happy
18,483 Posts
I was impressed with the Marlin chambered in in 356 Win. It shoots a 200g FN bullet as fast as a 30-30 shoots a 150g. Unfortunately, I was too late to buy one, Marlin had discontinued this chambering by 1987.

So I bought a Winchester 94 in 356 Win instead. It is not nearly as well made as a Marlin 336, but it clobbers the target very well.

I have no clue why they would offer a 35 Rem instead.

· Registered
4,032 Posts
I heard some buzz on Marlin Owners that no one is currently making 35 Remington ammo.
I don’t know if that’s true or not.
You can pretty well count on it not being made. And brass is impossible to find for reloading. There was an old guy on the castboolits forum that would lathe out 308 brass to 35 Rem brass. It was supposed to be really good brass as it was just a little thicker. You had to reduce the charge a little but thats no big deal.

Maybe if a gun was offered someone would start making ammo. Maybe Remington.

Edit to add...You can find factory ammo. Right on Gunbroker. Thats what happens when I think I know what I'm talking about.

Only $6 per round.

• Wow
Reactions: Potawatomi II

· Premium Member
18,331 Posts
I heard some buzz on Marlin Owners that no one is currently making 35 Remington ammo.
I don’t know if that’s true or not.
If the Remington 360 Buckhammer gets off the ground....commercial .35 Rem may be gone except in short runs every year or two, like how CCI or Winchester does 22 WRF. Or not at all as Hick Industries suggests.

Funny thing...since the 360 is based on the 30-30 case, the bolt and chambering would have been easy for Ruger to do.

I know .35 Remington is a traditional thing...but there are several reasons the 360 may have been the better move. One being, Henry is going to clean up on it if no one else gets in the game. The other being the straight wall cartridge huntig laws in some states.

Of course, Ruger may not have been aware of it early enough in development to go that way. But I bet it comes, soon enough.

· Jackpine Savage
8,474 Posts
You can pretty well count on it not being made. And brass is impossible to find for reloading. There was an old guy on the castboolits forum that would lathe out 308 brass to 35 Rem brass. It was supposed to be really good brass as it was just a little thicker. You had to reduce the charge a little but thats no big deal.

Maybe if a gun was offered someone would start making ammo. Maybe Remington.

Edit to add...You can find factory ammo. Right on Gunbroker. Thats what happens when I think I know what I'm talking about.

Only $6 per round.
Holy smokes!!! Even I'd sell a few of my boxes at that price.

· Registered
4,032 Posts
The 360 Buckhammer sounds good to me. Matter of fact it sounds perfect. Straight wall cases will last for many reloadings compared to bottle neck cases. But the specs say 50,000 psi and I thought the 336 action was supposed to top out at around 40,000 psi allowed pressure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts