Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody thought of marketing ready-made bug out bags? Not the silly little ones you can find at Wal-Mart. I am talking about a well made bag with equipment, supplies and tools that is ready for a real bug out situation.

I am thinking of a bag that all you need to do is add a gun and ammo, add some clothes that fit you, and you're ready to go. I am thinking of a bag that would satisfy even the seasoned prepper.

I guess you would have to have climate specific bags such as cold, temperate, and warm and maybe terrain specific such as tropical, desert, forest and may be high mountain. It could possibly be modular so that you can get the different terrain elements and climate elements. So basically, you go in to the store, pick the color of the bag that comes with the basic system and then choose an appropriate climate system and an appropriate terrain system.

What do you think?

Is there anything else out there like that?

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've seen some well stocked bobs on ebay, but don't know what the quality of the stuff in them is like...
That's what I'm talking about. What I don't want to do is put cheap stuff in there. I would put only really good and reputable items. I am talking about the stuff that we would put in our own bug out bags. In the marketing I would certainly list everything in its make and model.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I dont know if there is a market for it or not, but I would like someone to market a medium alice + gear for a bug out bag.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know if there is a market for it or not, but I would like someone to market a medium alice + gear for a bug out bag.
I think ultimately the problem would be the price would be quite high. I know my bug out bag if I bought all that at once would cost me quite a bit. But again for the busy or possibly the lazy prepper, that might be the way to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It would be a good starter for people just getting into it. With us prepper nothing ever seems to be complete. There is always room to add and remove some of the gear list. Also everyone has different needs, so if I was to buy a bob already set up I would probably have to add a few things. But adding a few things is not bad if the main survival gear is mostly all there. It does sound like a good idea.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Has anybody thought of marketing ready-made bug out bags? Not the silly little ones you can find at Wal-Mart. I am talking about a well made bag with equipment, supplies and tools that is ready for a real bug out situation.

I am thinking of a bag that all you need to do is add a gun and ammo, add some clothes that fit you, and you're ready to go. I am thinking of a bag that would satisfy even the seasoned prepper.

I guess you would have to have climate specific bags such as cold, temperate, and warm and maybe terrain specific such as tropical, desert, forest and may be high mountain. It could possibly be modular so that you can get the different terrain elements and climate elements. So basically, you go in to the store, pick the color of the bag that comes with the basic system and then choose an appropriate climate system and an appropriate terrain system.

What do you think?

I own a web development and marketing company and I have thought about the idea. You are going to run into some problems doing so. First you have to buy in bulk to get a good price that you will be able to make money off of. Second everyone likes to add different things in there bags, some go surplus, some go commercial, some like this kind of knife or that kind etc..

Another problem you will encounter is the majority of people LIKE to make it themselves. I know I do. If you buy quality products the price is going to be pretty high, a lot of people will say I could do it better myself. Some may want quality in some areas such as a knife, sleeping bag or something along that line but will cut corners to save money on other items like stoves or clothing. I am not saying this is the right thought I'm just saying.

Then we get to the cost of marketing and building a site that is ready to convert traffic. Ill tell you right now 90% of survival sites suck and the only reason a lot of them have google placement is from the time its been up and the amount of content the site has. If you want to get to the front page of google in a hurry it will cost around $500 a month on average. Everybody has there own prices but that is a medium. The cost of a site that is built well will be around 1000 or more depending on features/functions. So when you look at the overhead and the possible ROI (return on investment) you will find out there are much better places to make money

·
Travel Light
1,532 Posts
If you can keep the price down with good quality stuff there *might* be a market for relatives of true preppers. For a true prepper, a BOB is a pretty personal thing, something that takes a lot of time and thought so when the time comes they know they can depend on the contents. However, these same people might be inclined to pick up these ready-made packs you are thinking about to give as gifts to family in hopes of starting them on the road to prepping.
You might be better off marketing a get-home bag instead of the BOB and then see if there is a market to expand. Perhaps you could design it to work with the Mossberg JIC and see if they would help you move product (if they go for it I want a free bag for the idea :p)

·
Liberty or Death!
679 Posts
I think it's a good idea as well as expensive. You could offer a full bag or perhaps smaller "kits" that can unfold or unzip then be added to an existing pack. Something like different FAK's a small fire kit, different meal kits along with shelter making it customizable and modular. This is just a way I could see myself buying something like that since every B.O.B. tends be a little different. Making it modular would also allow individuals to pick a pack that is more specific to their needs. I think it's a good idea if you could get it all figured out and polished.

·
Frosty
298 Posts
If you put good gear in a good bag, it's gonna cost a lot to sell.

In my opinion, rookies will see the price of the mostly complete BOB for sale and decide to build their own based off of the list of stuff you gave for advertisement. They'll be inspired to tailor their own tastes into a BOB (like we all are) and end up getting high from the thrill of shopping and digging stuff out of their storage spaces to craft their vessel of survival.

To sell pre-made BOB's, you would need to include some cheap stuff to keep the price down. What contents would you cheap out on? We all know BOB's have to contain items that are dependable, from top to bottom. If you cheap out on supplies, you'll only be doing someone a disservice down the road when they need to depend on it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would think that a sight were you could go in and pick this and that would work well. A couple diffrent high quality choices for each item. Kinda like( build a bag) if you use that name i want a cut :cool:

·
reluctant sinner
17,912 Posts
I think that there is so much personal choice involved that the kit becomes Cabela's cataloge. I like my Wave with the extra bit kit but I fix/make things. A non repair person might be better off with extra first aide stuff. At around 40 lbs the choice must be endless. Food allergies anyone? Jees no penuts/wheat. Cammo or gray man?

·
Nadafinga!!
2,996 Posts
I have looked at this myself. The problem is with cost. If you fill, say, a medium ALICE pack with even just halfway decent stuff, it gets really expensive very quickly.

So, I think that the only way to have it come out a winner is to go first class on the pack and all the gear and market it to people with money.

·
Born to prep
3,753 Posts
BOBs are a very personal things. All bags have some similarities but no two will be exactly alike.

It would be possible to build a basic kit that could be tailored by the buyer to fit their needs. You could also sell add-ons in kit form such as fire starting, perimeter defense and shelter.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I don't think anyone is going to buy a good prebuilt BOB.

One its a personal thing and no two are exactly alike that both owners are happy with. Next it would cost over 500 dollars to build a good one and I don't think anyone would want to shell out that much cash at once. Now if you could do it for under 100 dollars than maybe possible.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I have been studying survival/ bob kits items for years. There are many people that I know of who don't have the time to research what sort of gear is good, yet like the idea of having one. The problem that I see is that if you put a kit together that has god quality items, then the price of the final kit will be substantial. Most don't understand that spending $50+ on a knife is essential. A good pack.. $50-150... etc Buy the time you add a quality water filter, fire gear, sleeping essentials, tarp/tent.... I figure that you will be looking at a kit that costs $200-300 easy.

That being said, the serious preppers will have serious respect for the contents and know that the price is worth it.

You could have them with varying degrees of qualities. You can use a simple water filter system, or you could add a Katadyn filter.

It might be worth having a customizing option. Have a web page that allows for choosing the contents. That way people know what they are getting and have and understanding of the value for the individual items. You can tell them that the items are added at retail price and that the assembly is "x" amount of dollars.

When buying content items in bulk, you might be making enough money just selling the kits for the retail values of the items...

I saw a seriously cheap kit, that was selling for $30. It might have had $7 worth of contents. It was a joke, but I guess for people who don't have time to look into things themselves, $30 looks like a great deal.

It really is a great idea and I have thought of it, but never had the working capitol to launch a project like this.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it.

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
All you will do is take the fun out of making your own BOB or GHB! I like starting with a basic bag from EE and adding my own personal touches! Besides, anything I can buy complete from a vendor, I can make cheaper myself!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
I thought about making high quality survival kits. But even that is really hard to do. In order to sell, you have to build to a price point. Exceed that and people will just make their own. Build to it, and you're selling the same crap that everyone else is.

Bug out bags would be even harder, because everyone's needs are so different that there's no way to even get close. They just need too much personalization. Combine that with the factor of having to build to a price point and to me, it just isn't feasible.

Just look at the discussions we have here about shelter for example. Some folks needs are best met with a hammock, while others can use a tarp just fine. I'm in a nice, dry region without extreme temperatures. Yet I can't use either. I have nowhere to tie off a hammock, and a tarp doesn't keep out the rattlesnakes and scorpions that love to sneak in and cuddle to a warm body in the middle of the night. I'm best served by a tent with a floor, even though weather wise, I don't need one.

That's just one of many issues to address. Survival kits are hard enough, because one size doesn't fit all. But there are just too many different possible situations to try and cover with bug out bags. From guys just trying to get home, to those who think they can carry everything on their back that they need to live the rest of their lives in the sticks. And everything in between.

·
Registered
676 Posts

What do you think?

I had thought about it but as I got into mine I thought about how personal a BOB is. They depend so much on experience and knowledge.
Climate and seasons matter also. I have made car bags for some friends but I can give people my bag and alot of the stuff may mean nothing. That is the main reason "Practicing" is so important.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts