Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a BOL a couple years ago, I now have a second one that is in the throws of being completed and am selling the first one, however selling the first one is proving difficult in this housing market.

I am beginning to wonder if I should be marketing it as a BOL rather than an "up north getaway" ? There is obviously a big market for all things survival, why not a market as a BOL?

·
It's Survival Of
1,977 Posts
I think marketing it as a BOL will drive away all of your market. People looking for a get away for vacations would pass by because they don't know what a BOL is or dont feel its necessary. Also they may think your crazy (so many people still dont have a clue!) and be turned off from your property simply because they dont want to deal with you.

On the other hand, people actually looking for a bug out location may have an issue with you advertising it as such and attracting a lot of attention to their new hideaway.

It's a catch22 and so there really isn't a good way to market a BOL as a BOL...

You could probably do it on a forum like this but it would probably still be difficult. I get nervous ordering stuff online because of the way the mail lady and the ups guy look at me... that's why I love amazon, unmarked boxes that they deliver everywhere. I just look like that guy who does a lot of online shopping. I'm paranoid though :rolleyes:

I would love for a selling section on these forums for us to trade on, (I actually haven't looked hard to see if there was one or not...) But I know I could easily do some bartering with locals. I have connections to various things at wholesale costs and I would love to work with other people with wholesale connections else where. I am also currently in search of owning a secondary BOL. It would be awesome to see if people had stuff for sale specifically for that purpose :)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Post some pictures on this forum.
When listing it on line, use some key words that will pick up on google.
Survival, BOL, retreat, SHTF, off-grid, etc.
List on craigslist in a bunch of locations, e-bay and others.
You might be able to get it sold here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Some well thought out wording should remove the lack of reason from the knee jerkers. For instance, driving safety kit. Or car trouble kit. Many more ideas available.
But yes, the idea to those unprepared and or unwilling to prepare for troubles will not be a valid market for your product(s).

Good luck,
Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Use the words.. Secluded, peaceful, off the beaten path, etc. That will draw folks like "us" and make city folk think of it as a retreat from the daily grind.

·
Hunter and Prepper
350 Posts
Do you have pics? Or a link? If so, please private message me. Im in the market for one and would really like to see it.

·
Hurray For Me & **** You
1,709 Posts
Northern Getaway - old fashioned amenities:root cellar, pantry, well, cistern, windmill, etc. Market as a starter hobby farm, suburbanites are always wanting that dream. My advice is to NOT market specifically to preppers. Anyone that's looking for a BOL is searching for certain qualities that you could mention in your listing. Ponds, solar, standing wood, etc.

My .02

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So much for opsec if I bought it! You know where it is and you know I'm a prepper!

It's a trap!:D:
You got me, figured this was the cheapest way to get my BOL stocked :)

kidding, I have another location now and all preps have been moved there already :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Market it as a recreational property or self sufficient hunting cabin. I don't know what all improvements you've made or how big the property is but those types of properties still sell well if fairly priced. I wouldn't market it as a BOL because that might turn some people away both preppers and non-preppers. Preppers could see it as the ultimate OPSEC breakdown and might not like the fact that their future BOL to be advertised all over the area and internet as such. Non-preppers might be a little freaked out because they don't understand what a BOL really is and/or think they're buying from "one of those survivalist nutjobs".

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
try posting it in BOTH area's...
in the survival area and also in the real-estate worlds...
you just never know..
good luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts