Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marines at DUI Roadblocks

http://www.duiblog.com/2008/12/16/here-come-the-feds-contd-marines-at-dui-roadblocks/

Here Come the Feds (cont’d): Marines at DUI Roadblocks
Posted by Lawrence Taylor on December 16th, 2008
I’ve posted in the past about the increasing federalization of drunk driving laws and law enforcement procedures. See Here Come the Feds and The Future of DUI. But even I wasn’t ready for the latest development…

The U.S. Marines have landed…and are apparently manning "sobriety checkpoints" in San Bernardino County in California. Yes, Marines. Yes, civilian DUI roadblocks.

From an official December 10th California Highway Patrol public relations release:

CHP to Conduct Sobriety/Driver’s License Checkpoint

The Morongo office of the California Highway Patrol (CHP) in conjunction with the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department and the USMC military police will conduct a joint sobriety/driver license checkpoint on Friday, December 12, 2008, somewhere in the unincorporated/incorporated area of San Bernardino County.

As an American citizen, not to mention a former Marine, I find this troubling — particularly in view of the clear wording of the Posse Comitatus act of 1878, described in Wikipedia:

The Posse Comitatus Act is a United States federal law (18 U.S.C. § 1385) passed on June 16, 1878, after the end of Reconstruction. The Act prohibits most members of the federal uniformed services (the Army, Air Force and State national Guard forces (when such are called into federal service) from exercising nominally state law enforcement, police or peace officer powers that maintain "law and order" on non-federal property (states and their counties and municipal divisions) in the former Confederate states.

The statute generally prohibits federal military personnel and units of the National Guard under federal authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within the United States, except where expressly authorized by the Constitution or Congress. The Coast Guard is exempt from the Act.

A follow-up call to a Marine Corps public affairs sergeant resulted in assurances that the Marines would be there "as observers". Hmmmm…..military observers. Isn’t that how it all starts?

Thanks to Branson Hunter and Andre.

·
You're no daisy
1,309 Posts
This story leaves out some important facts.

San Bernadino County is home to Twenty Nine Palms Marine Air Ground Combat Center with probably 10,000 Marines stationed there.

If you were a Marine then you know Marine's party hard especially during time of war because they know it could be there last chance to do so.

The Sheriff's office was probably tired of so many Marines being arrested for DUI/DWI that they invited the MP's to observe the checkpoints and process any servicemen right away rather than have to take them into custody and haul them back to the sheriff's office. It would also serve as a greater deterrent to the Marines stationed there if they know MP's will be at the checkpoints where there will be little tolerance and quick action. Rest assured the MP's weren't there to deal with civilians.

They are getting tough on Marines who drive while intoxicated. Drunk driving is a big problem around military bases... just like universities alot of time it is the first time these young people have been away from home.

·
Vote 3rd party!
900 Posts
Sorry, that's a bad answer. Once again, the government breaks a law "for the good of the people"

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
This story leaves out some important facts...

They are getting tough on Marines who drive while intoxicated. Drunk driving is a big problem around military bases... just like universities alot of time it is the first time these young people have been away from home.
I really enjoyed the first part of your post. But, you just HAD to ruin it at the end.

Maybe things have gotten WORSE with the tighter restrictions, but I currently doubt it.

Drunk driving was never a BIG problem, because there was always a MUCH BIGGER SCARE TACTIC (a bitter harsh reality) employed.

GI's always get drunk. Those little bottles of liquid bliss tend to make things different then they were earlier that day, that week, that moment.

Everyone I have known, had always also known enough when blitzooed to play within the rules.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
if you're not drinking and driving who cares? Drunk drivers are right up there with illegal aliens.

·
You're no daisy
1,309 Posts
Yeah yeah, everyone's a critic! :D:

Skud,

Believe me I have a healthy mistrust of the goverment as much as the next guy... but I dont see the violation of Posse Comitatus. They are there as guests of the sheriff's office to observe. Not uncommon around military bases for MP, SP, PMO, NIS, CID etc to have contact with local law enforcement to handle problems with military personel who get in trouble off post. I admit it is a little strange to have them at sobriety checkpoints, but I do not see this instance as some slippery slope to tyranny.

If they were the ones stopping and approaching the vehicles, asking the questions, conducting sobriety tests, investigating criminal activity and making arrests then I would be in agreement with you.

When I think of modern violations of posse comitatus incidents like ruby ridge and waco come to mind.

Sprig,

Sorry that last paragraph ruined it for ya, can't please everyone though. ;)

You are right, most guys toe the line when it comes to hoofing it, taking cabs, calling a buddy or sleeping it off. There are still plenty that decide to roll the dice and scoot under the radar though. You make a good point about tighter restrictions, there is less tolerance for dui/dwi than there once was in both civilian and military enforcement.

·
96 Posts
if you're not drinking and driving who cares? Drunk drivers are right up there with illegal aliens.
OK so in that same sense of "logic"- Is it OK if my employer sits at road blocks?

The Marines are a fine institution that has done many great things for our country. But in this case they are an employer, and have no business monitoring their employees out of working hours, especially during the holidays.

I have said it before on another thread:

If the local sheriff/Chief of police cannot keep a lid on drunk driving then FIRE his A$$, and elect/appoint someone who can.

We should not fool ourselves (unless you are trolling) . This is on the slope. Here is a possible scenario with a few steps taken out and a short time line since I do not feel like typing more than I have, but you get the idea.

Year 1: Military catches drunk drivers close to military base on X-mas

Year 2: Worked so well... maybe we should have the military catch drunk drivers all over the city on X-mas.

Year 3: It is working so well... Maybe we should have them protect us all through the holiday season Thanksgiving-> X-mas

Year 4: Why should we only be protected during he holidays.. it s so safe... lets have it year round.

Year 5: Since they are working so well together, it sure seems inefficient to have the police and the army doing the same job. Maybe we should try merging the police into the army. Since it will be more efficient. For the children.

Year 6: We don't need locally elected sheriffs anymore and no longer have police that live in, or are from, the community. They live on the military base. Much more efficient. Just like Belfast in the 1980s when the English used to beat the sh*t out of the Irish on a daily basis. (first hand knowledge on this one)

Again... If the local sheriff/Chief of police cannot keep a lid on drunk driving then FIRE his A$$, and elect/appoint someone who can.

Reactions: rridgeoutlaw

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
OK so in that same sense of "logic"- Is it OK if my employer sits at road blocks?

The Marines ... have no business monitoring their employees out of working hours, especially during the holidays.
A part of me hopes this is a way of putting things in a way out in PC land into some sense of perspective.

Mr. Marine gets stopped, found out to be a little on the "illegal side" of a number, but is driving more safely then the masses. Is this a way to deal within the system, doing the right thing, on the grey side outside the PC part of the law?

That new 0.02 difference might be making good guys into criminals.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts

The Marines are a fine institution that has done many great things for our country. But in this case they are an employer, and have no business monitoring their employees out of working hours, especially during the holidays.

I have said it before on another thread:
Is it OK for your employer to randomly drug test you?

·
96 Posts
Is it OK for your employer to randomly drug test you?
There is not drug testing in the UK, and when I lived in the states I was ever drug tested. Besides, what does that have to do with the road blocks? Or are you reaching... again?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts