Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am going through the gear, I realize how useless non-rechargeable batteries are. The batteries I can charge, I am using an energizer 15 minute charger to do so.

Temps tonight are supposed to be in the middle 30's, maybe right around freezing.

I can not find my knife sharpening stone, its around somewhere.

My main concern is my kids staying warm on the trip. Instead of tents, we are bringing 6X8 tarps to build shelters out of. We are going to use rain ponchos as ground clothes to put our sleeping bags on.

We are going to be camping along a creek, about 1/8 mile from where the last camping trip was at.

·
Registered
25 Posts
well good luck kev have a good trip i wish i could camp in march but right now we are haveing(southwestern ontario canada)a massive snow storm so im stuck in side today but i hope u will post it an youtube looking forward so watching it my self and another thing i just bought a 6'-8' tarp maybe you could make a vid on how to make a selter from that well any way hope u have a great trip and be safe from (campingenthusiast)-my youtube account.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My daughters pack was too small, so she gets a large ALICE pack. We are about to head out and will be back tomorrow.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We got back around 11 am yesterday - man oh man what a trip.

My son has been asking me to teach him to read a compass, so he got a crash course in night time navigation.

Both the kids learned how to make cord from regular string. The hammocks did not come with cord to tie them to a tree, so we had to improvise.

I learned that the 40 degree comfort rating on my sleeping bag was a LIE!

Those MRE packages with no markings are tootsie rolls.

On the way to the camping spot, we got stuck in 2 wheel drive. Where we turn off the dirt road and onto an old logging road, it was washed out from a heavy rain 2 days before. So I locked the 4 wheel drive in, backed up and plowed through the soft spots. The kids thought that was cool to see mud flying everywhere.

We go the truck parked, loaded up our gear and headed out. The camping spot we picked out was along a creek - and about 100 yards from the truck. Between our camp and the truck was some very dense brush and a pine thicket.

As sun was setting, the cold air set in. My son did not realize how cold it was going to get, so we headed back to the truck to get a jacket. Looking at the time and the sun, I knew it would be dark before we got back to the camp site. So I grabbed my GPS, my sons compass, my compass, got a position fix, saved the camp as a way point and took off to the truck.

I let the kids lead the way back to the truck - and wouldnt you know it we got turned around. Aint I so mean. I was the only one to bring a flashlight as well. Here we are, in the middle of a dense new growth pine thicket, its almost dark, you can not see 20 feet in front of you, and we are lost. I loved it. We stop, out comes the GPS, get a position fix - then I ask korey to set his compass to something like 232 degrees. Korey says "I dont know how to do that" - at least he was honest. Korey learned how to set and read his compass when he needed to, not when he wanted to. We used the compass to get us back to the truck.

Then when we left the truck the sun had set and we were almost in total dark. There was no moon, the only light was coming from the stars. The three of us used one flashlight and a compass to find our way back to the camp spot.

My daughter to to get the camp fire going.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts