Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey'ya Guys:). I was wondering if any of you have expirience out there with the "Marbles Outdoors" knives. I am -really- wanting to ask for one for christmas from my parents. I was wondering if any of you out there could tell me what stock grind theese come with, so I may also buy the propper sharpening equiptment. The two models I was looking at are the "Woodcraft" and the "Plainsman."

Thanks in advance! :thumb:
-Giguere

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Very nice knives, but sorry mate, I don't know a thing about them.

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
marbles knives are made in china,the knives not marked ''china'' are chinese parts assembled here in the USA....marbles is gone, only the name remains.....i just purchased a sunfish pattern knife before i new it was chinese........ http://www.marblesoutdoors.com/pocketknives/sunfish.html

i will see how good a knife it is...if it's a good one i will still keep it but the china mark is annoying......if your going to buy one make sure it is assembled here without the mark............

·
Off-roadie
895 Posts
marbles knives are made in china,the knives not marked ''china'' are chinese parts assembled here in the USA....marbles is gone, only the name remains.....i just purchased a sunfish pattern knife before i new it was chinese........ http://www.marblesoutdoors.com/pocketknives/sunfish.html

i will see how good a knife it is...if it's a good one i will still keep it but the china mark is annoying......if your going to buy one make sure it is assembled here without the mark............
Phuck man, every time i see a quality american product sold out to china i want to cry.. WEAK.

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
I was lucky with my marbles axe it was 5 year old back stock being sold off.

but lets face it guys soon there will be no American knife companies left and it will be down to the small custom knife makers to keep the flag flying,but you will have to pay the price.

Ive got a Schrade old timer made in the US and im getting a casemoose,still made in the US.

Giguere get a casemoose and add it to your Nessmuk trinity:thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts

but lets face it guys soon there will be no American knife companies left and it will be down to the small custom knife makers to keep the flag flying,but you will have to pay the price.

Ive got a Schrade old timer made in the US and im getting a casemoose,still made in the US.
http://www.knifeworks.com/casemoose.aspx

the problem is few people want to pay $49-$80 american for a pocket or hunting knife, most folks believe a good knife should not be more than $20 or $30...and frankly the chinese are producing good quality knives shipping them over here at 1970's era prices...making it very difficult to compete...this whole thing reminds me of the japanese products around when i was growing up,japanese goods at that time were considered cheap junk...however that is certainly not the case now is it?

i remember someone who came from over sea's to shop here complaining saying they came for the american made products but were disapointed because most of what they saw was the same stuff they could get at home.........thats free trade i guess.............

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Hey'ya Guys:). I was wondering if any of you have expirience out there with the "Marbles Outdoors" knives. I am -really- wanting to ask for one for christmas from my parents. I was wondering if any of you out there could tell me what stock grind theese come with, so I may also buy the propper sharpening equiptment. The two models I was looking at are the "Woodcraft" and the "Plainsman."

Thanks in advance! :thumb:
-Giguere
Huh...it's funny that you should ask dude. I just got one in the mail today. I'm a little angry that I ordered it with the Curly Oak handle and they sent one with the bone handle. It's still very nice but this is the second time that KnifeWorks.com has messed up an order. I won't use them anymore. I had also ordered a Case knife for Sticks and they waited until I get my knife to inform me that the Case has been discontinued. I was able to get it elsewhere. Anyway, here's the knife I got today:

Marbles Wookcraft Hunting Knife w/Bone handle and a 0170-6 Chrome/Vanadium blade. The steel is made in America but I believe the knife is now made in China. Marbles made sure they hid the "Made in" label.

Reactions: AncientBrit

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Huh...it's funny that you should ask dude. I just got one in the mail today. I'm a little angry that I ordered it with the Curly Oak handle and they sent one with the bone handle. It's still very nice but this is the second time that KnifeWorks.com has messed up an order. I won't use them anymore. I had also ordered a Case knife for Sticks and they waited until I get my knife to inform me that the Case has been discontinued. I was able to get it elsewhere. Anyway, here's the knife I got today:

Marbles Wookcraft Hunting Knife w/Bone handle and a 0170-6 Chrome/Vanadium blade. The steel is made in America but I believe the knife is now made in China. Marbles made sure they hid the "Made in" label.
AJ ive taken there link out of my post.:thumb:

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Heh. I'm a big fan of case (Current EDC is from case, and it weighs 0.9 ozs...), don't got the money right now to buy myself a decent case. I'm usin' a buck trio right now, its a good little knife. I now try to buy from the US, or an allied country, but I don't really have problems buying a product from china if its quality (And i've got this knife to shaving sharp after a good strop.) I've been thinking of replacing the stockman with a "Fallkniven U-2" (I've got one on my christmas list... :p) I'm just looking for a older style fixedblade for the field. (I'm still deciding between a Rat-7 and Kabar for my BoB though... Got a Fairbairn Sykes comin' too most likely... :D:)

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Heh. I'm a big fan of case (Current EDC is from case, and it weighs 0.9 ozs...), don't got the money right now to buy myself a decent case. I'm usin' a buck trio right now, its a good little knife. I now try to buy from the US, or an allied country, but I don't really have problems buying a product from china if its quality (And i've got this knife to shaving sharp after a good strop.) I've been thinking of replacing the stockman with a "Fallkniven U-2" (I've got one on my christmas list... :p) I'm just looking for a older style fixedblade for the field. (I'm still deciding between a Rat-7 and Kabar for my BoB though... Got a Fairbairn Sykes comin' too most likely... :D:)
The Rat might be a pretty good choice. I don't own one but I will. I just took my K-Bar off of my Bug Out Belt and put my new Tops in its place:

You want a bad knife...this is it!! It's very strong. Here's the description:

Make/Model: TOPS Mission Team 21
Blade Material: 1095 High Carbon Alloy, Black Traction Coating. 6.75" Spearpoint Blade
Handle Material: Green-Black Micarta Semi Gloss
Overall Length: 11.75" Made in the USA

You also can't go wrong with this Bark River with Fire Steel:

Here's the description:

Bark River "Bravo 1" with Fire Steel and new Leather Sheath. D2 High Carbon Tool Steel and a G10 composite handle. USA made.

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Rat might be a pretty good choice. I don't own one but I will. I just took my K-Bar off of my Bug Out Belt and put my new Tops in its place:

You want a bad knife...this is it!! It's very strong. Here's the description:

Make/Model: TOPS Mission Team 21
Blade Material: 1095 High Carbon Alloy, Black Traction Coating. 6.75" Spearpoint Blade
Handle Material: Green-Black Micarta Semi Gloss
Overall Length: 11.75" Made in the USA

You also can't go wrong with this Bark River with Fire Steel:

Here's the description:

Bark River "Bravo 1" with Fire Steel and new Leather Sheath. D2 High Carbon Tool Steel and a G10 composite handle. USA made.
Tops looks to be a good company. My dad wants my mom ta' buy him this one for christmas;
http://www.topsknives.com/product_i...d=137&osCsid=a7d266cc66564e42ce10be991dfe5bd7
(Non-serrated of course. :p)

Partial to this one myself;
http://www.topsknives.com/product_i...id=96&osCsid=a7d266cc66564e42ce10be991dfe5bd7
(Don't got the money at my age to spend that much on a knife, Probably get that in two years when I can enter the marines however.)

As for bark river...
I've been looking at this knife for a while, and am considering asking for one as a "Passing grade" present at the beginning of the upcoming summer, not sure how A2 preforms, so I'd like to test it during the summer first. Scales that I like, Seventh row down, third across "Emerald elder burl, Mosaic"
http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/skinning_caping/wolfriver/index.html#

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Bark River. A2 is a high carbon, tool steel. The bevel on these is just like the ones on the Marbles. The reason being is that the founder and owner of Bark River was high up in the Marbles company. They had a falling out. Marbles has now gone to China while the owner of Bark River has vowed to stay in the USA. I own two Bark Rivers now and love them. This is my other one:

By the way, did you ever get that Grohmann of Canada knife you were looking at? That's a great knife too.

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can't go wrong with a Bark River. A2 is a high carbon, tool steel. The bevel on these is just like the ones on the Marbles. The reason being is that the founder and owner of Bark River was high up in the Marbles company. They had a falling out. Marbles has now gone to China while the owner of Bark River has vowed to stay in the USA. I own two Bark Rivers now and love them. This is my other one:

By the way, did you ever get that Grohmann of Canada knife you were looking at? That's a great knife too.
I was looking at the survival model, but am not really fond of stainless (for a main field knife)

You've sold me on bark river BTW... :p

Heres the two I'm looking at;
http://www.crystalfallstradingcompany.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35_125&products_id=442
I -LOVE- the look of the sheath, and the knife.
http://www.crystalfallstradingcompany.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_84
This little guy would sit around my neck, I'd use him for EDC, Small whittling, and smaller tasks in the field. He'd be in a neck configuration. I'm ordering the Mikro-canadian sheath with it. Kydex is not bad in my opinion, but for ease of removal, and quietness, I prefer leather.

I'll most likely have the upland on the right side of my belt (Food prep, skinning, that junk) and a Mora Classic red handle'd #2 behind it (Whittling, and whatnot) and the PSK around my neck (Such a variety of uses, from EDC, to woods purposes.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts