Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone owns Marble's axes or knives?

I assume they have been around for a while, I just never stumbled on their products in my local tool shops. They seem to be handforged in El Salvador and get great reviews on Ytube, and they are priced relatively affordable priced that's all I was able find out sofar:

I am particularly interested in their little choppers that I see at SMKW:

Bolo comes with sheath and sharpening stone $15+S&H:

Camp Axe $25+S&H
·Hand forged 1045 carbon steel head
·American hickory handle

By the way, what is the purpose of the GROOVES on the bolo?

I also see the grooves on this Condor chopper described as "blood grooves" $60 +S&H

·
Banned
10,726 Posts
My Dad has a large collection of them. They are easy to find at gun shows. I like the old collectable ones with stag handles and cowhide sheaths.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
I own many of them. Pretty much all the machetes etc and a LOT of their knives as well. I like them. Have yet to be disappointed in any of them. I'm using a Marbles full stainless military style scout knife as we speak to cut some cardboard boxes up.

The fullers are for blade stiffness. No blood groove about it. Those three shallow ones are more of a Marbles trademark than a fuller, though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am sure most people are aware but the old Marbles knives have little to do with the ones made today, other than name.

Those great old knives were proudly made right here in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Unfortunately the name was sold a few years back and most of the designs were farmed out over seas. There are some good things still made under that name, most of the stuff I have seen has been junk. I have seen both a set of throwing knives and a safety axe made in Pakistan, both mediocre at best.

The original knives and tools are still highly collectible and valued though.

A fuller in those blades cannot make a blade more stiff, compared to not having them. They are machined in after and would reduce the weight and material. Not having them would make the blade more stiff. That rule may work with hand forged blades given a set weight but not with production knives like this.

·
Banned
10,726 Posts
Eric,
I still have a great Olsen hunting knife from Michigan that my Dad gave me in about 1964. Are they still around?

·
Thread killer
1,237 Posts
I love my hess knives! That part of the country sure has/had some great knife companies. I'd like to find some of the older marbles but they are a bit spendy and the new ones aren't on my radar at all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd have to look into Olsen but Hess is definitely turning out some nice blades and the value is great.

Bark River is the biggest maker up here and the owner had some ties to Marbles.

Pete Winkler was making blades up here too but has moved down to Ohio.

Northwoods knives were also made up here but since the passing of the owner the brand has been sold but they still have US based production under that name.

·
Hillbilly By***!
1,144 Posts
I have a Marbles machete that I bought for $11 at SMKW and I have beaten the snot out of it and it still holds a razor edge and chops like a banshee.
I have a Condor 18" machete that I paid $50 for and the Marbles is just as good as it.
I have cleared tons of brush with it. It has some patina on the blade, I wipe the blade and spray some WD40 or PB Blaster on it when I am done and hit it with a stone real quick so it's ready for the next time. Seriously, it's the best $11 I have ever spent on something sharp, it even came with a sheath for that price.
Buy one, you wont regret it..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I own many of them. Pretty much all the machetes etc and a LOT of their knives as well. I like them. Have yet to be disappointed in any of them. I'm using a Marbles full stainless military style scout knife as we speak to cut some cardboard boxes up.

The fullers are for blade stiffness. No blood groove about it. Those three shallow ones are more of a Marbles trademark than a fuller, though.
I saw your unboxing threads, cool stuff. Do you still have the small orange Bolo machete? If yes how is it holding up after a year or 3?

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
Still have it. Bought a second, in fact, when the nephew "borrowed" the first. This one, I use to cut my pizzas and watermelons. I'd buy it again in a second if this one got lost. My best outside one is the large, upswept monster one. I used that one just this past week cutting bamboo canes again. I use that one dozens of times a year. Cut the sheath in half twice on that one. Those Marbles machetes are South American made, though....they're top quality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a couple Marbles machetes. I love them. Cheap and tough. I have cleared an awful lot of brush with them. Not familiar with knives or axes though.

·
Banned
10,726 Posts
I found a new old stock Marble's knife at a gun show and bought it for my Dad, still in the box. Stag handle, leather washers, and the brass hilt.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Today's Marbles hand tools are made by Condor/Imacasa. They're excellent. Don't hesitate to get one if you have your eye on it.

As for the bottom knife, that's the Matt Graham(dual survival tv show) knife. The knife he uses is a Condor Jungle Bowie with the tip ground off, basically making a short machete/smatchet. Since it became popular Condor began producing it with this mod as the "Primitive Bush Knife". I like it, but I've got enough large knives that do similar things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
here are a couple of mine. The first I think is called a scout machete, 14" blade and came with black cord wrap. I like it better withcord and camo removed.

<a

modified jungle bowie, carbon steel, rehandled in oak

I really like em. Sharp out of the box, and easy to keep that way.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
They went to hell when they left Gladstone. I do actually have one of the newer ones in my truck because my son bought it for me, but it's made in Pakistan and feels like it. I'll stick to my older ones for hunting and processing.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Anyone owns Marble's axes or knives?

I assume they have been around for a while, I just never stumbled on their products in my local tool shops. They seem to be handforged in El Salvador and get great reviews on Ytube, and they are priced relatively affordable priced that's all I was able find out sofar:

I am particularly interested in their little choppers that I see at SMKW:

Bolo comes with sheath and sharpening stone $15+S&H:

Camp Axe $25+S&H
·Hand forged 1045 carbon steel head
·American hickory handle

By the way, what is the purpose of the GROOVES on the bolo?

I also see the grooves on this Condor chopper described as "blood grooves" $60 +S&H
I have a Marbles knife in my collection:

The one on the bottom. At one time, they were a top notch maker of knives. I think they went "China" in more recent years but I haven't kept up with them lately.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts