Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
OO look Pretty Lights!!!!
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get maps with more detailed then just the roads of all the states and will it cost a lot?

·
USMC Veteran 84 - 01
2,163 Posts
Have you tried Google Earth. I have used it to look at properties. Especially for hunting. It will show an aerial view. Bends in creeks, Choke points etc.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
For your local area, you can get fair (not great) maps from the county court house.

Usually the property appraisers office, but varies.

Another place, to try, is the state Department of Transportation office, in your area.

·
Registered
402 Posts
DeLorme sells atlas books for each state . They show roads, trails, trailheads, topo, and much more. See for yourself here.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
DeLorme sells atlas books for each state . They show roads, trails, trailheads, topo, and much more. See for yourself here.
Those are the best Ive seen and used. Well worth the money especially if your just doing a few states.

·
Dances with Salmon
290 Posts
When I am interested in an area I get two maps.
One from the BLM office. This shows what is private land and what is owned by me - the taxpayer.
The second is a USGS map of the same area. These guys keep really good records of roads and landmarks.
With those two used together I have found a lot of incredible stuff.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I've used a lot of usgs/topo maps . Many were older than I am (59).
Had to use them once we leave the coast and head up rivers such as the Yukon River.
In many cases the river course had changed over the years, elevations of hills and mountains remain constant.
Was working a job in Turnagain Arm, on the south side of Anchorage. Where I was anchored in 60 ft. of water, The map/plotter said I was on dry ground.
Local knowledge is the best............Dennis.....Alaskan

·
BM2 Hollywood
667 Posts
Wal-Mart generally will have them for the geographical area that the store is in. If not, talk to the Dept mgr for Sporting goods to see if they stock them or if any of the other stores in that area have them.

·
American fearmaker
14,243 Posts
All levels of government have maps available for a small fee. You can generally get copies at city halls, courthouses and by mail from the state government. You can also purchase plat maps that list every farm, by owner's name, in your county by contacting your local farm bureau or farmers' cooperative.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts