Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm that maple syrup & honey will last at least 10 years in storage ? How about peanut butter ?

Thanks !!

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
The oils in the peanut butter go rancid after a few years.

Honey stores forever - the good quality honey will crystallize if stored for a long period of time. Just heat the honey and it will turn back to a liquid.

Maple syrup, I do not know

·
Finish the game
1,861 Posts
Not sure about off the shelf peanut butter or maple syrup, but honey will last a long long long time (like centuries) if stored correctly.

·
camps in trees
2,068 Posts
Natural honey never spoils if put up and kept correctly. It might crystalize but heating it up gets it back normal.

Not sure about syrups.

Peanut butter the oil comes out of it and can go rancid.

·
Registered
38 Posts
From what I've read, maple syrup (if pure) doesn't go bad. If it gets mold on it, scrape it off and bring it to a slow boil unless you want syrup on everything. Then just put it in a jar or bottle and it should be fine.

·
reluctant sinner
17,913 Posts
I have had both maple and honey last that long. Don't expect the cheap stuff that has karo or other additives to last that long. I had peanut butter canned in 1944 that was still "good" in 1976 issued c rats.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,419 Posts
Honey will last indefinately.

With peanut butter it depends on the kind. Natural peanut butter doesn't last well. But the commercial crap is mostly crisco, which is hydrogenated shortening. That stuff lasts for a few years, especially if kept cool and in a dark place.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
From what I've read, maple syrup (if pure) doesn't go bad. If it gets mold on it, scrape it off and bring it to a slow boil unless you want syrup on everything. Then just put it in a jar or bottle and it should be fine.

if it was cooked down proper and canned it should last indefinitely sealed, after it's open refrigerate, if it molds poor through cheese cloth and bring to a boil re-bottle. This comes from a neighbor who makes 100+ gallons of syrup

·
angel waiting
4,071 Posts
I agree honey lasts forever they have actually found some in the tombs of Eygpt that was still good. Real maple syrup will last a real long time too but only if it is frozen. We just got done going to a syrup weekend near us because we are going to tap our own trees next year. The owner said if the syrup is kept in the fridge and it gets mold on it just scrape the mold off and bring to a boil. By the way tried Maple cream for the first time in my life and I have to tell you " I AM IN LOVE" lol. Thank god the stuff doesn't have too many calories.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm a beekeeper and am in the process of storing up a bunch of honey. What a perfect survival food. It's a good sweetner and lasts forever.

Where would you find a good high quality syrup that lasts indefinitely?

It's too bad peanut butter didn't last longer because it would be a great survival food as well.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,419 Posts
if it was cooked down proper and canned it should last indefinitely sealed, after it's open refrigerate, if it molds poor through cheese cloth and bring to a boil re-bottle. This comes from a neighbor who makes 100+ gallons of syrup
Mold is the problem. If there's no way to refrigerate it, it's going to mold up after opening. I don't think it's boiled down to the point of having as high of sugar concentration as honey has. I think I'd store maple sugar instead, and make a small amount of syrup with it as needed.

·
never tell me the odds
725 Posts
i make maple syrup. i produce enough to last the entire year and i keep it in re-purposed spaghetti sauce jars in the fridge. the syrup lasts the entire year until the next batch is ready. i have never canned it for long term because i just make more each winter.

so in response to your question... it keeps just fine for a year or a little past a year in an opened jar in the fridge so i'm sure if properly canned it may have a decent shelf life.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Can anyone confirm that maple syrup & honey will last at least 10 years in storage

Thanks !!
Natural Maple Syrup will last for more than 25yrs. We had a maple tree in Newtown CT and I remember my mother use to can it and store it . We still have some of it and it has been about 20yrs. Remember it has to be Natural not the store bought in the plastic bottles. It must be stored in a Glass Jar!

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
I've got some regular old store bought maple syrup (in the plastic bottle) never opened. Stored on a shelf in my pantry for a bit over 5 years now and its still good.

I bought them as two packs. Its brother (aka same purchase lot) is in use right now. Tastes fine..

·
Prepared
527 Posts
I've stocked up on Mapleine imitation maple flavor. One 2 oz. bottle will makes 24 pints of syrup. It's been around for ages and has an indefinite shelf life. Bring to a boil 1 cup water, 2 cups sugar and 1/2 teaspoon Mapleine. I had to stock something for all those wheat pancakes!! :D:

·
Registered
1 Posts
While we're on the food storage thing, does anyone have a way to store eggs long term without refridgeration? I've heard that coating them with mineral oil works, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried it.

·
Living To Ride
2,030 Posts
I agree honey lasts forever they have actually found some in the tombs of Egypt that was still good.
True that and says all we need to know about honey storage. One of natures true miracle foods and topical antibiotics. Love it when it gets all gooey and chewy just before the crystalline stage. Wonder if peanuts store better than peanut butter? Than just whip up a batch when you need some?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Want to have peanut butter forever?
Get peanuts
Dehydrate them until dust, or dehydrate them and grind them up.
Store in a bag or can. Done.
to make peanut butter add sugar, water and a little butter or other oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I saw a Yahoo news article a coupe months ago on food items that don't go bad. Honey, maple syrup and white rice doesn't go bad if stored correctly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts