Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 15 gallons of syrup in the pantry and am starting to get ready to make som more in about a month. I decided to try and make a big batch sugar from the two year old syrup.

I started with a half gallon of syrup and ended up with about 3 or 4 pounds of sugar.

Wood Drinkware Gas Helmet Glass

Now I need to figure out what to do with it before I make more.

I never made a batch this big before. I boiled of the syrup until it was 160f. Then dumped it in the stand mixer and let it spin. And nothing happened, I thought I screwed it up. But as it cooled it started to look like peanut butter. Then out of nowhere steam just started pouring out of it. I thought it was smoke and that I burned out the mixer motor, but it was the water leaving the syrup and it going from paste to dry powder in a matter of seconds.

Any suggestions on ways to use the sugar to make the best use of its flavor are welcome.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lucky you! You can use it one to one in place of table sugar in anything maple flavor would taste good in, which is just about anything at all. (y)
That is probably how I will use it. It is just a bit of a waste to use something that takes so much work to replace white sugar that costs 20 cents a pound.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Yumm, I love maple syrup. Turned a batch into sugar one time by letting it go just a teeny bit to long on the fire. We ate all of it. Dh puts syrup in his coffee. I bet that sugar would work well in most foods. Expirement. Homemade cookies might be a good place to start. My guess is you might need a smidge more flour.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
That is probably how I will use it. It is just a bit of a waste to use something that takes so much work to replace white sugar that costs 20 cents a pound.
But it has so much more flavor than white sugar, and so will anything you use it in. That's what makes it worth the work.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am thinking of turning all my syrup into sugar, it should be about 90 pounds worth, and then trying to sell it this spring along with the fresh syrup I will be making in a few months. Looking online, regular real maple sugar is going for $10 to $15 a pound and the fancy stuff(I don't know what makes its fancy other than branding) is going for $20 a pound.

·
Always Loaded
2,816 Posts
I did a very small batch with my daughter a few years back, just for fun. We just tapped a few trees in the yard. I used cut off 5.56 cases as spouts. I think we ended up with about a quart of dark syrup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts