Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No more than a two stage jack on a rail generating ten tons of pressure, I consider these an essential labor saver, and much safer than a splitting maul. My current one has been the workhorse in the wood lot for the past three years (no complaints), Nor do they require fuel, or electricity, and are transportable. Just toss it in the back of the truck and go.

They also make it easy to split starters...

·
Registered
250 Posts
No more than a two stage jack on a rail generating ten tons of pressure, I consider these an essential labor saver, and much safer than a splitting maul. My current one has been the workhorse in the wood lot for the past three years (no complaints), Nor do they require fuel, or electricity, and are transportable. Just toss it in the back of the truck and go.

They also make it easy to split starters...

My husband and I have been talking about buying something.

Where did you get that? Do you have a price? A link?

Kathy

·
Closed for the Season.
15,812 Posts
My husband and I have been talking about buying something.

Where did you get that? Do you have a price? A link?

Kathy
You can get it at Harbor Freight. I have had mine for about 2 years now. It is a handy wood splitter but not terribly fast. You want to watch HF price so that you get it for under $100 when on special or with percent off coupons. It is not for those people needing a lot of wood split quickly.

Read the reviews on it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
We got ours from Harbor Freight too...great splitter!! However if you are able to "toss" it into the truck, you must be superman!:D: That thing is very heavy! We just keep ours on a little trailer on back of the 4 wheeler so we can head to the woods with it. Very sturdy and reliable piece of equipment, I would also highly recommend it.

With 2 people it goes even faster. My husband would load the wood onto the splitter, I would split it, he would remove the pieces and reload, I split and repeat process! :thumb:

·
Banned
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I split 8 - 10 cords a year with this splitter with little effort. An hour or two every evening starting in the spring, and ending in the fall, and I'm set...kinda nice in the cool of the evening listening to tunes while you work....

Now, to back up the chain saw, use a one man cross cut saw...good for logs 6 to 8 inches in diameter....here's a link

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003092/226/One-Man-Crosscut-Saw.aspx

add a saw buck, and a timberjack, and you're good to go, as well as no longer dependant on gasoline, and 50:1 mix.....

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
My neighbor gave me one a year ago cause he found it too slow and more work than the axe. Me too. I gave it to a friend and he welded on a couple of plates and made it into a press. Makes a good little bearing press...

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I split 8 - 10 cords a year with this splitter with little effort. An hour or two every evening starting in the spring, and ending in the fall, and I'm set...kinda nice in the cool of the evening listening to tunes while you work....

Now, to back up the chain saw, use a one man cross cut saw...good for logs 6 to 8 inches in diameter....here's a link

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003092/226/One-Man-Crosscut-Saw.aspx

add a saw buck, and a timberjack, and you're good to go, as well as no longer dependant on gasoline, and 50:1 mix.....
8-10 cords a year with that thing I would rather pick up wet crab bare handed....I burn 8-12 cords a year if your pulling that off with that equiment my hats off to you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I burn 10 cords a year and I've never used anything but an 8lb. maul. I'll beat any gas log splitter. If you had to cut with a cross-cut saw and split with that thing, 10 cords would take all of your time. By the time you threw the wood in the stove, you'd probably have 5 minutes or more with every piece. Not a wise use of time.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I also burn wood exclusively for heat. I split with a 8lb maul. Sometimes you get really knotty pieces but over time you learn how to split them by looking at the grains and where to hit. Aim for the side with out the knot and take corners off with the maul. Eventually you will have a chunk thats all knots. Put that aside for what I call an 'all nighter'

You will just be wasting your time with a manual splitter. Waste of time, money and energy.

What does concern me is how would one burn wood post SHTF? No gasoline = no chain saw to buck logs. Using an axe or saw to cut up wood would be very time consuming and a full time job within it self. Would also need to get a couple mules to drag logs to the house.

To me... Its impossible to plan for permanent SHTF. My only real strat around this one is to always have wood on hand before such a situation. Stack it in the spring, burn it next winter. Stocking wood for longer then 1 season is pointless, it drys out too much and burns too fast.

This last season I went to pre-split. I spent so much time, gas, energy last winter that it wasnt even worth it to get log length and split it myself. I got better stuff to do then waste all my time bucking, splitting, stacking, carrying wood up to the house.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Interesting piece of equipment, I'll have to look into it. I don't mind hand splitting it's the gnarly, twisted grained and knotty stuff that will get you. Doing a lot of hand splitting with an ax or maul is tough on the shoulder joints from the constant shock.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.