Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Life, Liberty,& Happiness
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered a Mantis Pit Boss off of Amazon.com based on the glowing reviews both there and a few YouTube videos.

Then I run across a thread on BladeForums with several people trashing Mantis, and something to do with lying about their knife steels.

So the knife I ordered is supposed to be 440V, or basically S60V, how do I get to the bottom of this? Is it actually the high quality steel they specify?

Does anyone here own a Mantis or have any actual first hand experience with their products?

On the plus side I have heard the costumer service is absolutely astounding and that the owner Jared West will personally respond and correct any issues.

The knife will be here on the 10th at which point I will be able to see first hand the knife quality but I will not be able to determine the steel validity.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
2 of there Karambits, I would have to go to there web site and look them up to tell you the exact models. They lock up really tight with out any problems, the only reason I quit carrying them is because they are hard to open and get into a defensive grip, I EDC a CS AK-47 because of the wave feature. I put a zip tie on the Mantis knives and it works, I sometimes carry them but I think a regular blade knife is a better choice for utility, after carrying the Karambits for a while.

·
Registered
860 Posts
After reading the FAQ on the website about the steels they use, I would have to say they are using high quality steel and they even go a step farther and will use specific steels if you request it. They are NOT using 440C and they are not braggin about using old leaf springs or old tools so you are safe from that monkey crap. Let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Personally I wouldn't buy one. It's a company that has been known to spam forums, and put out reviews by people who work at the company.

Also, I called to inquire about steel used, as it's a rare steel they are claiming in the pitboss, but they never contacted me back like they said they would.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading the FAQ on the website about the steels they use, I would have to say they are using high quality steel and they even go a step farther and will use specific steels if you request it. They are NOT using 440C and they are not braggin about using old leaf springs or old tools so you are safe from that monkey crap. Let us know how it works for you.
It will be here Friday or Saturday, I'll have pics in my album and after a few days of pocket carry I will post my initial thoughts. Hopefully it is really 440v steel because for $50 that is a hell of a deal. Probably put it through some serious cut test and determine the edge retention ability and see if it is at least up to par with my s30v knife.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally I wouldn't buy one. It's a company that has been known to spam forums, and put out reviews by people who work at the company.

Also, I called to inquire about steel used, as it's a rare steel they are claiming in the pitboss, but they never contacted me back like they said they would.
I already bought it on a whim, didn't find out about the other crap until after purchase. If you hear back from Mantis please spread the info they give you.

·
Registered
149 Posts

I am a member of a forum they spammed.It was ridiculous.
Seems they also use other companies patents and copyrights also.
No way I would own one.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Recieved my Pit Boss today, my first impression is extremely good. Its stout, excellent fit and finish, and has an extremely satisfying lock-up.

I will be carrying it as part of my EDC for the next few weeks to put it through the paces but as far as I can tell this knife will continue to impress.

I have a couple pics of it posted in my album market "some of my gear".

I will update my thoughts on this blade in a week or so.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts

You mean the CPM-440V that is posted right next to the knife picture in the description box:
SPECIFICATIONS
Overall Length 5.750"
Blade Length 2.375"
Blade Material CPM-440V
Blade Style Modified Sheepsfoot
Handle Material Machined G-10
Lock Style Liner Locking Mechanism
Carry System Ambidextrous Pocket Clip
Weight 5.00 oz.
Special Features Blade is nearly a quarter inch thick.
I am a member of a forum they spammed.It was ridiculous.
Seems they also use other companies patents and copyrights also.
No way I would own one.
Oh, you mean like Cold Steel.

They are a relatively young company that have some great designers working for them...I've handled them at a couple of shows and they seemed to be worth what they're charging--Good solid knife for the money.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You mean the CPM-440V that is posted right next to the knife picture in the description box:

Oh, you mean like Cold Steel.

They are a relatively young company that have some great designers working for them...I've handled them at a couple of shows and they seemed to be worth what they're charging--Good solid knife for the money.
As to the obvious posting of Mantis saying they are using 440v, I knew that before purchasing, and some of why I made the purchase was due to the high quality steel being used, it was after I ordered the knife that I ran across a few articles that were talking about how Mantis was lying about the steels they were using.

At the price I paid, it is hard to imagine Mantis putting out this thick piece of quality steel, and quality of craftsmanship for any profit at all. Seems like they would be in the negative.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You misunderstood my comment. I know what steel they claim to use, but wanted to know the stock they received from. CPM-440V is s60v, nothing new, but very rare. I had doubts as to if it was in fact the steel they claimed which was why I called them. Many on other forums felt it was not as advertised.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't think they are still making 440v,99% sure so I really doubt they are using it.
Even if they bought a large amount of left over stock it is very hard to machine and would not be in a real low cost knife.The lowest cost knife I have ever seen it used in was the Spyderco Native and at 60.00 most of the cost of that knife is in the blade steel.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think they are still making 440v,99% sure so I really doubt they are using it.
Even if they bought a large amount of left over stock it is very hard to machine and would not be in a real low cost knife.The lowest cost knife I have ever seen it used in was the Spyderco Native and at 60.00 most of the cost of that knife is in the blade steel.
Whatever kind of steel it is has been amazing so far, super sharp and hasn't needed a touch up yet.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update for the Mantis Pit Boss...

This has been perhaps the best folding knife investment that I have ever made. This knife has cut drywall, carpet, rope, cardboard, tent stakes, and just about anything you could imagine cutting. I am 100% satisfied with the Pit Boss, i have no cons to list for this knife.

As a side note, I decided to order the Mantis Chaos 2 Fixed Blade, 3 1/2 Plow Point Tanto, made from darn near a 1/4" thick chuck of 154 cm steel, with G-10 handle scales. I will let everyone know my 1st thoughts when it arrives later this week, and I will post again my updated thoughts after some extreme field use.

·
Not Totally Clueless
591 Posts
I now own 5 Mantis knives...all of them are great blades that hold an edge during my everyday useage. Jared has answered every e-mail I have sent and if I have a problem they have solved it ASAP...just last week I emailed an asked about a battery cover for the Nesessikey I own and within 2 hours had a response. 50 cents later (paypal) and 2 cover were on their way to me (just enough to cover postage) and were in my hand within 3 days. I am on several forums and have never seen their spam (not saying they don't just no personal experience). I have an Isocoles in my pocket now...AUS 8 steel...takes a scary sharp edge and holds ok but not as long as some of my other knives. Cool look though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts