Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
That is awesome....Years ago, I sold my aunts house in New York and it had a bomb shelter (built by my grandfather in the early 1900's), but it was nothing like this..

·
Outdoorsman and Hunter
1,177 Posts
Not very smart. Now they know and they might even make him remove it or up his taxes. Not cool.
I agree. Moron. The last people on earth to know if I had found it would be the damn government! Nobody would know it was down there if I had found it and I would have done my best to cleverly re-hide the hatch and quietly start fixing it up and stowing supplies down there.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Metal detectors do work over here, but in an urban area they are next to useless due to the underground pipes, 3,000 years of human habitation etc.

All over this country they built underground secret shelters from 1939 to 1941 for the stay behind parties, they remained secret for many years and some are still unknown. My old house was taken over by the RAF in 1940 as billets for aircrew based at Kenley fighter airbase. When I went to terrace the sloping garden in 1983 we discovered an underground air raid shelter built into the slope. Reinforced ferro concrete is a real PIG to get up!! Pneumatic hammers just chattered and bounced off it! I blunted cold steel chisels, broke sledge hammer handles and finally used a suitable charge of thermite and 50 gallons of water to shatter the base. It was spectacular, but surprisingly quiet.

·
Cranky Old Guy
433 Posts
If I had found that, I would have told no one, and immediately built a small storage shed over the entrance to hide the entrance. Then I would start stocking the bunker with supplies.

Wonder how long it would take for the neighbors to realize the small shed would not hold all the tons of crap I was carrying in there!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts