Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My next review is going to be on some Malkoff products. Mainly the Malkoff MD2, switching ring, and M60/M30 P60 drop-ins.

The Malkoff MD2 can be bought either as a host or it can be bought as a ready to use flashlight. The MD2 comes in 5 different coatings. HAIII natural, HAIII Black, HAII Black, and Camo. It is meant to be used with either an M60 module or an M30 Module. The MD2 is a 2 piece design. The switch is part of the body and this means that you just remove the head to replace the batteries.

The MD2 is a single output light but can be coverted to a multi-mode through the use of the hi/lo switching ring. This ring just replaces the stock module retaining ring in the head. The switching ring works on both type of module. Once it is installed you fully tighten the head for high, or if you just barely loosen it that will activate the low mode. The bezel rings are easily changed with a very small screw driver or with a bent paper clip.

Now for the drop-ins! These drop-ins are P60 sized drop-ins which means they will fit your MD2, your Surefire C series lights (6P, C2, G2, 9P, M2, etc...) or your Solarforce L2. The M60 has an input voltage of 3.8-9 volts that means you can run 2-3 cells. The M30 has an input voltage 1-5.5 volts which means you should only use 1 cell with it, like an 18650. With the M30 you can also use 2AA's if you can find a suitable host. The modules come in a bunch of different versions. Here is a quick guide...
F = Flood
L = Low
LL = Low Low
W = Warm (warmer tint LED, these give better color rendition but less output)
MC-E = extremely high output LED but is almost all flood, not a good spotlight.

Build your own here starting at $84.60!

One of the best things about Malkoff products is the warranty and the customer service! If you ever call or email Gene or Cathy Malkoff will almost always talk to you personally. They are awesome people and very helpful! Here is a Quote from Gene from over on CPF
"If you experience a failure of a M60 for any reason. (Even if you accidentally tape some C4 to it.) Just contact me and I will replace it. Some of the team training members at Magpul Dynamics have over 100,000 rounds on their M60's with no failure. I stand behind my stuff.

Thanks, Gene Malkoff "
Like I said, awesome warranty and awesome people!

Novatac 120P, Malkoff MD2, Surefire 6PL, Olight M20

Almost forgot! All this stuff and a lot more is available at www.malkoffdevices.com

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the review. Gene's stuff is absolutely A+, I have many of his products. Here is Malkoff M60 in Surefire 6P clone (FiveMega)

Advantage: You can use Surefire tailcaps.
Disadvantage: No low mode.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the review. Gene's stuff is absolutely A+, I have many of his products. Here is Malkoff M60 in Surefire 6P clone (FiveMega)

Advantage: You can use Surefire tailcaps.
Disadvantage: No low mode.
Nice! Is that a fivemega body (Oops NVM just re-read your post lol)? I do enjoy a 2nd mode but my work light is a good ole' Surefire 6P with a M30 and AW17670. You can always go for one of the two stage tailcaps that the Sandwhich Shoppe offers (not sure if they still have them actually)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Correct, FiveMega. I wanted to get a Leef but he apparently completely dropped out of the business. I see Leef bodies in that config from time to time but they run about $100 tokens. :eek: Nothing wrong with FiveMega, beautifully made.

I thought about the 2 stage tailcap but decided against it, as it introduces complexity into the system, there is a reason why Surefire stuff is called *Sure*fire. Plus, I heard that it has a constant drain on the cells, not sure if true.

The body is well made, the Z41 tailcap is bullet proof,the module itself is impossible to kill other than reversing the cells. No polarity protection. I once dropped the 9P clone from the roof, other than cosmetic damage all worked. The lense was fine, impressive.

I might just try some 2 mode TC, some day, if I get brave...

The MD2 and for that matter MD3 and MD4 all look really cool. I am worried about inability to take standard SF tailcap like Z41... I don't like clickies. Twistie just always works, never breaks. And doesn't come on accidently in your pocket.

I solve the problem of 1 mode by carrying extra cells.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I loooove the Wildcat head! If I had the money I would buy one for sure. Wish Gene would send me one on the house but I dont know if I could get enough people to buy them for him to recoop his looses lol. The MD3/MD4 bodies are C-series compatible at the tail end so that means you can use the Z41. Heres a quote from the Malkoff MD4/MD3...

"The body is compatable with SureFire tailcaps which fit the 6P, C2, etc."

And extra batteries are a must! Ive always got a few sets for whatever lights and tools im carrying on me at the time. I need to buy some more AW ICR123's! I had 4 but lost 1. I need about 7 more though. I hate primarys. I have them strictly for backup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well that is good news then. Z41 rules.

The price is kind of high.. nice lite but ... but.

I love my M60** modules. I have M60, M60LL and M30. Might also get M60L at some point.

Wait a year, should probably find the MD* at half price, esp as economy turns even worse. It's just not a necessity (for me anyway)

The other concern is MD4 has 15 degree beam, I like 8 degree. does look impressive on the pics, nice if you like flood.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that is good news then. Z41 rules.

The price is kind of high.. nice lite but ... but.

I love my M60** modules. I have M60, M60LL and M30. Might also get M60L at some point.

Wait a year, should probably find the MD* at half price, esp as economy turns even worse. It's just not a necessity (for me anyway)

The other concern is MD4 has 15 degree beam, I like 8 degree. does look impressive on the pics, nice if you like flood.
I hear that. Ive got an M30 and M60LL right now. I really want to get 2 M60''s before too long. I have a spare 6P and C2 that could use an upgrade.

The MD4 and MD3 were actually $200 for 3 days last week because Gene opened a new shop :juggle: :D:

I havent gotten to play with a wildcat yet but I hear they are decent throwers. If you like a tight beam you should check out 4sevens new Turbo! I just got mine in today and I have a review up on here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I heard... even 200 tokens was a bit too much IMO.
It's nice but there is a wide selection in this price range.

I am really pleased with my M60-12V module. I talked to Gene and I specifically requested the specs to take 4x123 Cells or 2x18650s. The standard M60 can only go up to 9V, which didn't make sense to me. This one takes from 5V to 12V. So it wont run well on 2 primaries.

So to the best of my knowledge, that Leef 2x18650 has one of a kind module nobody else in the world has.
Given I run it on Panasonic 2900 cells and/or AW's 2600 mAh cells, I am pretty sure nobody else has this configuration --- very bright and impressive runtime. You get 4.2V * 2 * 2900 mAh = 24.3 Watt-hours.

BTW, 2x18650 is easy to pocket in jeans. Not sure MD4 would be just as easy to pocket with the bigger head.

Seems like MD4 series would be neat in buildings, where you don't need throw but need flood. My Mag with Malkoff would be useless inside -- very bright pencil type beam that *only* works outside.

P.S. You might want to hold on with your purchase, I expect Gene M. to come up with redesigned modules, with the new LED available. He just redid Mag 2D module, up to 260 lumens. Not sure how bright mine is, I had the older version. Probably not enough to detect with eyes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts