Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Canuck
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'd like to think I know a thing or two about keeping my self alive in the wilderness (S.A.R. experience, as well as wilderness first responder and multiple other things)

But I know nothing about keeping a girl going; and I've read a multitude of these threads, but i was wondering if it was possible to get a concise idea of what kind of equipment I would need to keep my girlfriend, SAFE, healthy and alive for an extended period of time with out resupply (initial BOB and then making due kind of situation).

Basically asking if I can get input from the lady survivalists, or male survivalists who know something about taking care of their girl.

(And I don't mean to be sexist, but girls tend to have less of an interest in this stuff so ANY insight is helpful)

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think your "girl" needs to take care of herself....any extra supplies, she should know what she needs. Ask her.
Maybe he's asking here because he doesn't feel he can ask her??

But then... if you can't ask her... my response was that you're with the wrong girl. ;)

Seriously though, chicks need the same things you do, except maybe some feminine hygiene products. My husband and I have pretty much the same stuff in our packs. Saws, shovels, water, food, light sticks, flashlights, portable radios. He's even got tampons in his pack (you know, I'm almost certain they were originally created or at some point in their history used specifically to treat gunshot wounds).

Do you have some idea of what you think she'll need that you don't, or vice versa?

·
veritas aequitas
2,253 Posts
Alright, I'd like to think I know a thing or two about keeping my self alive in the wilderness (S.A.R. experience, as well as wilderness first responder and multiple other things)

But I know nothing about keeping a girl going; and I've read a multitude of these threads, but i was wondering if it was possible to get a concise idea of what kind of equipment I would need to keep my girlfriend, SAFE, healthy and alive for an extended period of time with out resupply (initial BOB and then making due kind of situation).

Basically asking if I can get input from the lady survivalists, or male survivalists who know something about taking care of their girl.

(And I don't mean to be sexist, but girls tend to have less of an interest in this stuff so ANY insight is helpful)

Thank you very much in advance.
There's an interesting thread in this forum about "menstrual cups" which might be a good alternative to tampons and pads (it's reusable). You might want to get a couple different kinds or sizes :D:

Other than that, maybe some ibuprophen, and some form of birth control--that's what *I* would be worried about.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else that a gal needs in general (that's different from what a guy would need). Maybe a book with info she might find helpful that's along the lines of what she might find interesting (gardening, farming, etc.).

·
Watch it buster!
290 Posts
There's an interesting thread in this forum about "menstrual cups" which might be a good alternative to tampons and pads (it's reusable). You might want to get a couple different kinds or sizes :D:

Other than that, maybe some ibuprophen, and some form of birth control--that's what *I* would be worried about.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else that a gal needs in general (that's different from what a guy would need). Maybe a book with info she might find helpful that's along the lines of what she might find interesting (gardening, farming, etc.).

What does your girlfriend do? I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY that a pregnancy shortly after shtf would not be a great thing so BIRTH CONTROL!
I also agree with Ibuprofen. It's a life saver when mother nature decides to make you feel like your guts are on fire.
The other thing I would bring for the both of you is a really good sunscreen. Sun burns can be anything from annoying to debilitating, especially if your fair skinned.
The last thing you need on top of a fight to stay alive is a fever and a blistering sun burn.
If your savvy with a gun, encourage her to practice.

I wanted to add that the menstrual cup is a good plan. While this may be too much information (is there such a thing?) In the days following shtf, it is very likely that there will be not only wild animals to deal with, but more dangerously, wild domesticated dog packs. Animals have a great sense of smell and a cup would help to eliminate the scent.

·
veritas aequitas
2,253 Posts
What does your girlfriend do? I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY that a pregnancy shortly after shtf would not be a great thing so BIRTH CONTROL!
Well, I don't have a girlfriend, but I *do* have a husband :) (I know--the username doesn't give that kind of info!)

I also agree with Ibuprofen. It's a life saver when mother nature decides to make you feel like your guts are on fire.
The other thing I would bring for the both of you is a really good sunscreen. Sun burns can be anything from annoying to debilitating, especially if your fair skinned.
The last thing you need on top of a fight to stay alive is a fever and a blistering sun burn.
If your savvy with a gun, encourage her to practice.
The sunscreen is an excellent idea, especially for this pasty white Scot-Irish chick...

I wanted to add that the menstrual cup is a good plan. While this may be too much information (is there such a thing?) In the days following shtf, it is very likely that there will be not only wild animals to deal with, but more dangerously, wild domesticated dog packs. Animals have a great sense of smell and a cup would help to eliminate the scent.
I never knew about menstrual cups til I read the thread on it! And you're definitely right about the scent (I saw "Pitch Black"!)

·
Canuck
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol

Its not that i cant ask her because i have, shes just....inept when it comes to the whole thing. and yes i have asked, i was just asking for more input. thank you though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
What they all said, plus extra toilet paper. Don't forget, we women use it up at an alarming speed! I read on a blog about a guy who spent winters in Alaska as a trapper and he brought something like 4 rolls of toilet paper to last the entire Alaskan winter. No WAY would that last a woman an entire winter. Maybe a week or three depending on the size of the roll and conservation methods.

Baby wipes for personal hygiene wouldn't hurt either.

·
Bug out ready
23 Posts
Just a joke Kahuna, thinking that all girls need their cell phone, chocolate and a good girly movie even when out in the wild is just a joke.

·
some strange Nordic man
1,103 Posts
Ask to do the shopping from now on, and whatever you either feel extremely uncomfortable buying, or, are entirely clueless about you'll probably need.

Kind of like the time I was sent to buy tampons. Lady friend of mine was busy, I offered to help and I see that dreaded word on the list. Apparently they come in different sizes and styles so I bought one of each. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts