Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you out there who do not buy army rations or civilian versions what do you take as food when you camp?

I usually take:
1x small pack of oatmeal with honey
1x can of food per day
1x small pack of oat crackers per day
1x pack of dry noodles per day
1x dry pasta meal packet per day
1x small penut butter or marmite packet per day
1x bar of chocclate per day

This usually weights little over 1 kg for a whole days food.

·
Survivorman
199 Posts
Depending on your body weight you need around 2000 calories a day to do basic functions example heart beat, driving a car etc. Depending on how much work you do you probley want to increase that number. Like if your going hiking all day you would probley need more than 2000 calories. In the military mre's there are about 1200 calories a meal. If your in the woods you want to make sure your eating enough, I have done some tests before on this. I went 3 days without any food and I was very weak. You want to eat the right ammount so you dont get weak and work twice as hard.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I went 3 days without any food and I was very weak.
I also went 3 days without any food, and my result was the same. That's why it bugs me to hear people say food is not as important as water. Those people have apparently never been without food. Sure, you might still be alive without food, but without the strength and energy to do what needs to be done you won't be alive much longer.

·
Survivorman
199 Posts
I also went 3 days without any food, and my result was the same. That's why it bugs me to hear people say food is not as important as water. Those people have apparently never been without food. Sure, you might still be alive without food, but without the strength and energy to do what needs to be done you won't be alive much longer.
I agree, sure most people can go 40 days without food but they probley have never gone a day without food. Thats why its good to have a knowledge of the area and edible plants there. The only reason they say water is more important is because you can go 3-4 days without it and then you die. Plus if you are in a survival situation and you have not had a drink all day and no way to purify water its better to not drink water. If you are in the wild and get sick from water you will have a lot of pain in the stomach and lots of diareah, If you have diareah you will get even more dehydrated and probably end up dieing.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Items may vary, but usually:
COFFEE
Packet(s) of cheese grits
Beef jerky, soft, Lots, opened and put in big zip lock bag.
Box(s) of Uncle Ben's (dry mix) rice/ bean soup emptied into zip lock bag.
Bag(s) of dried bananas and or apples in zip lock bags.
Zip lock bag w/dry roasted peanuts.
Sometimes, if I feel extravagant, tin(s) of smoked oysters, but, usually Hormel roast beef (small cans).
Kev's protein/food bars/vitamins/minerals.
I cut up some of the beef jerky and add it to the grits and rice & bean soup.
If no water source, except what I carry, is available, I change this up, somewhat, but I don't like dry camping/hiking.
I have also made and used my version of Pinoli.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Many countries besides the USA use commercial items in their MREs (IMP "Individual Meal Package" in Canada) that have the same label as you will find in the stores.

My BOB is stocked with Mountain House just add water meals (Expire in 2014) and similar bags of trail mix and fruit. But before I could get Mountain House meals I made my own similar to above but put together as meals.

If we can live for 30 days without food then on that 30th day we are going to be in a pretty poor condition. So at some point before 30 days are up we will stop living off of extra body fat and start the dying process.

So I always carry food and water is easy to find if you carry a container and tablets. I carry water too, however, I can carry 3-7 days of food but can not carry 3-7 days of water.

We need food so we can think properly and have the energy to get us out of the emergency situation. If nothing else, buy energy bars (not protein bars) that have more carbs than protein. Don't eat them unless you have a source of water as your body must have water in order to digest food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts