Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
free fuel after the apocalypse (and before) using pyrolysis

this process has enough scope or latitude in it to work under many conditions

process dry biomass (wood,leaves,agricultural waste,tumbleweeds,etc) that would rot anyway

result is biogas that you can use in bbq, vehicle, generator, gas refrigerator, etc

here is a link to diagrams and explanations:
http://www.ecoalgebra.com/biogas.php

you shouldn't do this in your living room, better to do it far outside

don't be a danger to yourself and others

will need some experimentation to make it more optimal

safety first, live to gas yourself another day

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,540 Posts
how about bio diesel
We were running WVO and biodiesel but had to stop.

WVO is now legally labeled a bio-hazard. Only Hazmat licensed companies can take it from restaurants. We saw a local guy arrested for collecting WVO without an EPA license.

When a restaurant puts used oil out back, it is still their property, if you touch it your stealing.

The company contracted to take it, pays the restaurant for it.

So if you get caught taking WVO, you are charged with stealing and violation of environment EPA laws.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Using hemp produces some of the best results. 1 acre can prduce about 900 gallons of gasoline type fuel from hemp. I imagine other fuel types can be produced as well.

But not sure about the viability of a small scale home refining process. It may be possible. I would have to look into it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Using hemp produces some of the best results. 1 acre can prduce about 900 gallons of gasoline type fuel from hemp. I imagine other fuel types can be produced as well.

But not sure about the viability of a small scale home refining process. It may be possible. I would have to look into it.
That's why we're focusing on batch pyrolysis to produce methane, simpler process and equipment for small scale uses WTSHTF.

For example, the reflux valve may be a simple as unplugging a hose when you see the water start to backflow (as the cooker cools). :thumb:

·
Registered
801 Posts
A few thoughts on domestic fuel production.

For the most part "survival" and THRIVAL (I coined it) are two different things.... "Survival" IMO is a short term situation, eventually LONG TERM considerations regarding fuel must be consider hence "Thrival"

WVO, Biofuels etc that require materials you cannot produce yourself or chemicals you do not have permanant free access to aquire are unrealistic.

Very simply you all should consider what most of the world uses for fuel (third world poverty stricken countries). Burning dung, wood and turning grains into alcohol are examples. Fuel for travel is totally a luxury and where are you planning to go anyway.

I will not likely live long enough to experience America turning the clock back 200 years in terms of energy but all we need to do thrive is return to the fuels used by our ancestors fo thousands of years.

TEOTWAWKI means no liquid fuel for your hot rod, get over it and forget you ever watched the Road Warrior..

·
Registered
914 Posts
yes liquid fuels later maybe, but pressured gas is simpler to make and get the water out of

wet biodiesel rots and does all kinds of bad things - needs a better refinery
1. Grow canola.
2. Press into oil
3. process into bio-diesel

The processing it into bio-diesel is rather simple. Heat it, add a chemical (I think it is lye, but to be honest, I'd have to go look it up) and wait about an hour. Also, it will last quite a while as just plain canola seed and the pressed oil will last a year easy. Plus you can regrow it every year. Oh and your cattle/horses can eat the remaining seed.

·
Bushcrafter
1,420 Posts
1. Grow canola.
2. Press into oil

The processing it into bio-diesel is rather simple. Heat it, add a chemical (I think it is lye, but to be honest, I'd have to go look it up) and wait about an hour. Also, it will last quite a while as just plain canola seed and the pressed oil will last a year easy. Plus you can regrow it every year. Oh and your cattle/horses can eat the remaining seed.
You need to mix sodium or potassium hydroxide with methanol to create a methoxide nucleophile, to add to the vegetable oil to carry out the biodiesel reaction.This is what breaks up the vegetable or animal triglycerides and produces the diesel methyl esters, that you can burn in an engine.You have to wash the biodiesel with water to get rid of any soap that has formed from reacting with the lye before pouring it in your fuel tank. The glycerol co product is also useful in making some other chemicals.....

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,540 Posts
1. Grow canola.
2. Press into oil

A team of horses, a 10 acres of pasture for the horses, another 40 acres of land for the canola, ... you are going to work full time all year round to produce a few gallons of car fuel?

Really?

·
Registered
913 Posts
WVO is a hazard in that it, when heated to near boiling temperature and spilled on unprotected skin, causes burns that can result in infection and in some instances death if the whole body is involved. Also small humans can drown when immersed in a container containing WVO. Don't mess with WVO. It will kill you given the proper circumstances.

WVO also burns if heated well enough above boiling temperature. Then again it doesn't burn as fast as a newspaper. Thus I'm just waiting for the newspapers to become hazardous materials.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
1. Grow canola.
2. Press into oil

It takes lye and methanol, but both are recoverable if you set it up that way to start with. And if you're an advanced tinkerer, both can be made relatively simply.

It's also not too hard to convert most diesels to run straight vegetable oil. You start it on biodiesel and run till it's hot, then switch to SVO. You shut it down on biodiesel again to make sure all the SVO is out of the lines.

There's a lot of great oil crops out there. Sunflowers are one of the easiest to grow and press. They also yield well. I have planted castor around the perimeter of my land for the same reason. Soybeans are another choice for areas where beans grow easily.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.