Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my colleagues makes his own diesel for his car from vegetable oil and a bunch of chemicals.

If anyone is interested I'll get his recipe and post it.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a complicated process and uses some fairly dangerous ingredients. :D:

I spoke to him yesterday about it and he wrote down a bit for me, I'll get him to email me the full recipe and I'll post it here.

A word of warning though, all measurements are likely to be in litres!

·
V
21,713 Posts
YB i know this is raking up a lil history but the way the anals in charge run things I doubt much if anything has changed.....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2312521.stm
Police in west Wales have taken action against five drivers in one day for using vehicles run on cooking oil as part of a clampdown on the illegal practice.
The motorists were stopped under new legislation which makes it an offence to use the oil as an alternative fuel without paying a fuel tax levy.

All cars on public roads must pay a tax on the fuel they use

Bill O'Leary, Customs and Excise

It has been reported that a growing number of motorists are using the ordinary frying pan oil in their diesel engines to cut costs.

But such drivers face having their vehicles impounded if they do not pay a fine of £500 and persistent offenders face up to seven years in jail.

The legal problem is, that by using 32p-a-litre cooking oil instead of costing around 73p a litre, they are not paying fuel tax.

But they are committing an offence because all cars on public roads must pay fuel tax - and cooking oil is not taxed.

Officers have launched a crackdown in areas and it is reported that six drivers were arrested and questioned at Burry Port.

The Automobile Association (AA) has warned that cost-conscious motorists could be storing up trouble for themselves.

Oil fumes

"It could severely damage your vehicle if you do not follow the manufacturers instructions about which fuel to use," a spokesman said.

Traffic police - dubbed "frying squad" officers - are sniffing out the tax dodgers because the fumes smell like chips cooking.

One driver, who did not want to be named, said: "I've halved my motoring costs since I started running my diesel Subaru on cooking oil. The car runs just as well and even smells a lot better than diesel."

The motorist was one of dozens who have had their cars impounded in the crackdown.

Anyone seen attempting to wipe out our stock with bulk purchases would be stopped

Asda spokeswoman

He said: "I was stopped by an unmarked car which had blue lights flashing. The officer went to the fuel tank, dipped it, and found cooking oil.

"I put my hands up to the offence and the car was towed away. They said Customs would be notified."

Legal powers given to the Customs and Excise mean that drivers are being forced to hand over £650 to get their vehicles back.

They can be fined £500 for using illegal fuel and charged a £150 towing fee.

More sold

A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesman denied earlier reports that six drivers had been arrested in the crackdown.

"It is part of our spot stop-and-check fuel strategy to catch offenders dodging fuel taxes."

One supermarket in Llanelli confirmed it sold more cooking oil than any other branch in the country.

Asda spokeswoman Rachel Fellows said: "We have to admit we do sell a lot of cooking oil at our Llanelli store, but anyone seen attempting to wipe out our stock with bulk purchases would be stopped."

Customs and Excise spokesman Bill O'Leary said: "All cars on public roads must pay a tax on the fuel they use.

"Evasion is a criminal offence and carries a maximum seven-year jail term."

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
WE HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM HERE IN THE STATES. HERE IN PA, THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE IN RURAL AREAS WHO WERE USING HOME HEATING OIL, BETTER KNOWN AS RED/PINK DESIEL, TO RUN THEIR CARS AND FARM EQUIPMENT..... THERE ARE HUGE FINES FOR DOING SO AS WELL:mad:, IE: IF I PAY FOR IT ANY WAY WHY DO HAVE TO PAY TWICE?

·
fallschirmjäger
78 Posts
Well that is load of crap. How much is the tax on it? Anyway would still love to see that recipe please?
In some European countries the tax on gas is higher then the original price of gas :eek: I know, I have been driving there for a while :xeye:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Checking the tanks without probable cause or consent doesn't sound like it would be a legal search, at least in my neck of the woods...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts