Survivalist Forum banner

Making your own bags/packs/pouches

16K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  Muphasta 
#1 ·
Anyone a master tailor and makes your own gear? I am novice threadhead and have done a few altercations to packs in the past but I am looking to chat with a few people who know the in's and out's of making a pack/bag/pouch from scratch.

Feel free to discuss fabrics, thread types, and machines!

#3 ·
I would be interested in this as well. I've made a number of bandoleers, ammo pouches, and bags but they are pretty primitive. I don't sew so I use water proof fabric glue and bolts. Usually the fabric store will have left over canvas material for sale for a few dollars for a yard x 60 in remnant.

Here is an example of a shotgun bag I made.

Here are some ammo pouches

#4 ·
Sewing is pretty easy i got my first machine in July and have been going crazy ever since. I never thought I could hem jeans but it really wasn't that hard. Now to packs and such I know it is a tad more difficult so I am hoping we can get a few people who know what they are doing to guide us peons through the process..:)

Here was my first project, adding a MOLLE system to a civi pack so I could add a TAD OP1 pouch

Also did the same on the inside for more attachment possibilities

Final product of it mounted, I love the way it looks!

#7 ·
Thanks for all the links guys, but I was hoping to have more of a community here. While the links are useful I do not like the diytactical forums, I like these forums :)

So if we could stay closer to the topic and post personal experience about making bags and such

:)

#8 ·
Most of the stuff I have done has not been so elabrate as what I think you are looking for but one thing I used in a few projects that I think help is stuff called TRYCO. pronounced tree-ko. Look inside a ballcap at that white stuff in the front that makes it kinda stiff. Thats it. Had a local hat factory close by and got it from them. It works great for helping keep side panels ridged in packs and things like that. I bet you can find it at any GOOD fabric store.

#16 ·
I haven't made any bags from scratch, but I have customized my hiking bag by adding extra straps etc. I bought myself and old treddle Singer Boot Patcher

Beautiful machine. Unfortunately, as I am in a temporary place right now, the machine is in storage. I am reminded that I still need to purchase a few replacement parts for it. The bobbins wear after a while and it makes the unit skip stitches.

Totally non electric - beautiful.

My mom has an really old treadle sewing machine that she brought from Germany 35 years ago. Still works great.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, gear wise, but here is a site with some plans for gear.
http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html
The links are at the left side of the page. The page set-up is a bit different, but there's some good stuff here.
Here's an example bag for which they have plans.

#20 ·
I haven't made any bags from scratch, but I have customized my hiking bag by adding extra straps etc. I bought myself and old treddle Singer Boot Patcher

Beautiful machine. Unfortunately, as I am in a temporary place right now, the machine is in storage. I am reminded that I still need to purchase a few replacement parts for it. The bobbins wear after a while and it makes the unit skip stitches.

Totally non electric - beautiful.

My mom has an really old treadle sewing machine that she brought from Germany 35 years ago. Still works great.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, gear wise, but here is a site with some plans for gear.
http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html
The links are at the left side of the page. The page set-up is a bit different, but there's some good stuff here.
Here's an example bag for which they have plans.

Awesome link! I think I may have to try one of those for an upcoming trip!

#17 ·
I've been experimenting, making my own mag pouches for concealed carry applications. I'm using automotive seat belts that the local towing company lets me cut out of the wrecks in their yard. Kind of designed off of a folding pocket knife case that fits on a belt only parallel with the belt rather than perpendicular.

#18 ·
Old Treadle sewing machines are real strong can sew several thicknesses of material. They are a real favorite with quilt makers because they stop sewing right in the corners of a patch. Don't have the over run like a electric machine does. Treadle sewing machines can be hand cranked as well for real slow operation. Many of these old machines can handle the real big thick needles and can sew leather too. But they are not like a boot maker sewing machine, most have flat tables verses free arm so they can't make shirt cuffs very well. F.G.

#19 ·
I should have mentioned you can get a used complete operational Treadle sewing machine for as little as $75. Sewing machine heads can be had for as little $10.00, but unless you plan to crank it by hand you will need a base.

Don't try to do any heavy material sewing with any new plastic sewing machine. Find an older metal sewing machine at a thrift shop. You can not go wrong with old Singers or Singer knock offs they are all metal, mechanical, and you can get parts for them. . . the singers anyway.

If you want more than just a straight stitch look at some metal sewing machines that were made in the 60's Phaff, JC Penneys, Wards, Kenmore, and more. They are all electric, but could be cranked by hand in a pinch.

You want a machine that is old school mechanical with no micro chips and plastic like all the new stuff. Sewing with a machine is not hard and they sell books on how to sew too. Oh as a note the owners manual for your sewing machine also show you how to sew sort of too. F.G.

#21 ·
Not entirely sure who this post is directed towards but thank you for the info!

As for my I currently have a Singer 403a (only have the Zig Zag cam)

Here she is, Ol' Bessy herself!

I am currently on the hunt for an older (all metal no micro chip) free arm electric. My mother has a singer treadle machine that she has promised to give me :)

#22 ·
I seen a Singer just like your old Zig Zag at a thrift shop for $35.00 Hmm is your sewing machine broken, it should also do the straight stitch. Many of the machines from the 50's & 60's were able to do both straight and Zig Zag stitches in these non chip mechanical machines.

To sew your own bags, pouches, what have you then get a couple books or a course on sewing. Get your self a flexible cloth tape and measure a bag you would like to copy. Transfer the design to newspaper, meat wrapping paper, brown paper bag, or light cardboard. Buy lots of smallish safety pins, straight pins, a stitch riper or two, heavy thread, and some good light.

Give yourself an extra 1/4" - 1/2" space all around to sew at or on. To give a good hem on edges a 1/2" extra material is sort of a minimum. To start fold a 1/4" of the material and iron flat with a steam iron, then fold another 1/4" and iron down. Sew the material down and the edge is now protected from coming unraveled and strong. Oh don't forget safety pins are used to hold the hem as you work it down and sew it, just go slow sewing and remove the safety pins before they reach the pressure foot. F.G.

#23 ·
I like the idea of using old seat-belt material as webbing, you could even make a web utility belt too. You can make ruck sacks from old jean material or canvas drop cloths from Harbor Freight. A sewing crafts / fabric shop as was mentioned before a great place for short ends of fabric bolts. Sewing is no longer just woman's work. F.G.

#27 ·
In the Marines, we used to take our old camo trousers, cut the legs off at the knee, roll up the knee about an inch and sew in and out across the seam. The bottoms of the trousers had a draw string. Turn upside down, pull chord and we had a simple bag for storing things in our packs or duffle bags.

#28 ·
I have gotten pretty good at a straight stick on a machine. I have done a tiny bit of basic leather work, but I am far from a master. I am hoping that what I have done will transfer a bit if I need it too, but have not had a chance to really try sewing much that is useful. I hadn't even considered sewing up something like this, but now you have me intrigued.

#33 ·
Step one is buying a sewing machine, if you look in the thrift stores, yard sales or trash you can some times get them cheep. I repair sewing machines and I tell everyone that I know if you see one in the trash no mater what condition it is in get it for me or at least tell ASAP where it is so I can get it. If you buy a sewing machine make sure that it has an external motor so it can be powered by other means later.

The thrift store has patterns cheep, I have hit their bag sale before and got a sack full for $3.00, they also sell material, If you go to a clothing bag sale you can buy clothing and strip them for zippers and buttons.

I have 2 popcorn tins and a Rubbermaid tote full of zippers a lot of them are new and I have 6 smaller tins full of buttons sorted buy color. I hade a lot more material then I have now since sold off over a 100 yards of it for 3X the money. I also strip old back packs that I find in the trash and I have 5 Gal buckets full of clips, buckles and webbing. If you are going to take-up sewing it will do you little good to buy everything at retail it will end up casting you more then if you had just gone out and buy what you want from the store.

You also need to start studying how things are constructed. If you go to the library they should have some books on learning how to sew and they should be of at least so help to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.