Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Likes tactical stuff
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AK 47 for SHTF apocalyptic terror and mayhem and what not.

While I served with the mighty AR and love it, I am going to change my primary to an AK.

1. It's just cheaper to train with. Ammo is half the cost (and I reload)
2. It's heartier in the field. I am disciplined with field cleaning daily, so my ARa never have issues but, the ak is just more resilient
3. Ballistics rock for the ak and based on my AO, it is a good fit with the distance I could be engaged in.

I think I am going to give this a 12 month dedicated trial run as I evaluate my skills and ability to really make the platform work for me. The AR is still patiently waiting if need be.

Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I'm always intrigued with "ammo is half the cost". I own and love both platforms but the statements people use to "validate" their decisions is hilarious to me. Please go to gunbot or wherever and show me where similar .223 ammo is twice as expensive as 7.62x39....I see wolf steel cased in both calibers being almost identical. If you're reloading, I fail to see any difference as well. Please elaborate.

·
Incognito Woodsman
237 Posts
Sounds like you've already made the decision. Hope you report back your findings. I am sure youre not the only one who has thought that way.

I don't see where 7.62 is half the price of 5.56 but I don't reload either. Go with what works for you.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
AK 47 for SHTF apocalyptic terror and mayhem and what not.

While I served with the mighty AR and love it, I am going to change my primary to an AK.

1. It's just cheaper to train with. Ammo is half the cost (and I reload)
2. It's heartier in the field. I am disciplined with field cleaning daily, so my ARa never have issues but, the ak is just more resilient
3. Ballistics rock for the ak and based on my AO, it is a good fit with the distance I could be engaged in.

I think I am going to give this a 12 month dedicated trial run as I evaluate my skills and ability to really make the platform work for me. The AR is still patiently waiting if need be.

Anyone else do this?
I considered it, bought a decent AK (Arsenal), but never liked it. Sure, they are accurate enough, and most are reliable enough, but it did absolutely nothing the AR didn't, and it failed to do plenty that the AR did.

·
Native Cracker Cowhunter
1,897 Posts
I agree with several here already. I just joined another forum yesterday made up of AK and AR owners with the purpose of learning from them if in fact one is truly better than the other. I doubt I'll figure it out in my life time but it will be interesting to try. For the time being I'll stock up on popcorn and watch. I feel like a traitor even looking at a AK. YMMV

·
Likes tactical stuff
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm always intrigued with "ammo is half the cost". I own and love both platforms but the statements people use to "validate" their decisions is hilarious to me. Please go to gunbot or wherever and show me where similar .223 ammo is twice as expensive as 7.62x39....I see wolf steel cased in both calibers being almost identical. If you're reloading, I fail to see any difference as well. Please elaborate.
Wow awesome, since it was hilarious I am sure you are all chuckles, You are right, it's not literally 50% less. The ammo cost was not my only reason for changing, not "validation". I keep steel .223 for shtf for the most part. I prefer to run brass in my ARs.

I want to know I can run drills, perform. Etc at the same level I can with my AR, that's the validation I am going to do for the next year. I've used both platforms for years based on my age, but served with and trained the most on the AR.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The 7.62x39 has long been the poor man's Deer caliber in the Southeast. The AKM comes about as close to being a general purpose rifle around here as it gets.

You'll find the AK a bit different at first, but after a while it'll get simple. I prefer it to any other weapon of it's type(and I've carried a few different weapons overseas).

Have fun and congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I agree with several here already. I just joined another forum yesterday made up of AK and AR owners with the purpose of learning from them if in fact one is truly better than the other. I doubt I'll figure it out in my life time but it will be interesting to try. For the time being I'll stock up on popcorn and watch. I feel like a traitor even looking at a AK. YMMV
One is not really better than the other. Both have design features that render them quite effective; everything else is preference from experience. 90% of the people making this argument have never employed one in a situation that mattered either...so who cares.

Additionally...we're fortunate enough to live in a place where we can get both if so desired. Play with both. Find out what fits you the best and screw the rest of the opinions.

·
Hovercraft Pilot, Retired
2,012 Posts
I have over 30 years experience with ARs, and about 10 with AKs.
The ARs are more refined & user friendly.
The AKs are less refined, and have an over abundance of sharp edges.
Both work just fine.

I keep one of each on hand, just in case my M14s can't do the job.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
I was always a [email protected] / FN fan, just recently got back into the AR series, ( when i was issued a armalite, they didn't even have fwd assist way back then) Got back into it for the buildability. had a few SKS, Ak 47s, just never were as comfortable to me.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts

Anyone else do this?
Yes.

When I was in the Corps I ran and trained with an AR.
Then when I got out I had a hard choice to make. I could continue to build upon the classes and rounds I had expended... (which many people do, and i understand why) Or I could sit down and look rationally at "what was best" and start from square one.

I had all the common models:
AK, AR, FAL, M1A, M1, HK...

While I would of perfered one of the .308's I decided ammo costs and the practicality of "when can I legally justify a 300+ yard shot" made it impractical.

While I still have and remain failure with all the models above... An AK I built lives in the truck and another by my bed.

·
Likes tactical stuff
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes.

When I was in the Corps I ran and trained with an AR.
Then when I got out I had a hard choice to make. I could continue to build upon the classes and rounds I had expended... (which many people do, and i understand why) Or I could sit down and look rationally at "what was best" and start from square one.

I had all the common models:
AK, AR, FAL, M1A, M1, HK...

While I would of perfered one of the .308's I decided ammo costs and the practicality of "when can I legally justify a 300+ yard shot" made it impractical.

While I still have and remain failure with all the models above... An AK I built lives in the truck and another by my bed.
Hoo ahh man. US Army here. Same issue hence my post friend

·
The Celtic Prepper
927 Posts
Every single time I want an AR, I just have to shoot one, and then I don't want one anymore.

AK47/74 for me. - That said, the AR's ability to swap components without heavy equipment is very nice. Don't expect to rebarrel an AK on the fly like that.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Wow awesome, since it was hilarious I am sure you are all chuckles, You are right, it's not literally 50% less. The ammo cost was not my only reason for changing, not "validation". I keep steel .223 for shtf for the most part. I prefer to run brass in my ARs.

I want to know I can run drills, perform. Etc at the same level I can with my AR, that's the validation I am going to do for the next year. I've used both platforms for years based on my age, but served with and trained the most on the AR.
I read about a guy who did that. He struggled his ass off to compete in 3-gun at the same level with an AK as he did with an AR. After a year, he had almost made it, then he tried the AR again and forgot about the AK. I wish I remembered the article, I'd link it.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Keep an AR add AKs.
I find AR's are dime a dozen guns. If I needed cash for something in a hurry it's easiest to sell off an AR.

I've had stretches where I didn't have an AR but always found that I still wanted one around.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
If you have family members who do not have a lot of time to train with the AK, I would stick with the AR-15.

Awhile back a buddy of mine and I were shooting with his teenage daughter. We did a side-by-side comparison with her between the AR and the AK. The extra recoil of the AK was an instant turn off for her.

She sent several rounds downrange with the AR, then she was given an AK-47. After just a couple of rounds she wanted the AR back.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
One thing that can't be argued is that Russian SoF are trying hard every day to make their AK's handle like AR's. Here is where we are, currently:

Where people fail is trying to run an AK like an AR. (like you did)
Adding an eotech no more makes it like an AR than having trigger makes an AR a copy of an AK.
:rolleyes:

Wen I run a .308 people point out how much slower my mean time between shots are.

I point out .30

No one ever debates the stopping power of a .308....

1 - 20 of 201 Posts