Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today my cousin and I drove out to the my property and steaked out the locations of our out buildings (3), our communal (kitchen) area and our garden area..

over the friday evening and saturday we sat down at our kitchen table and orginized a plan for our BOL/weekend getaway, we also agreed that we would not let others know about it just our wives and my folks, not even our children.

we found a company that builds what are called "baby barn" kits, basically a small shed depending on the size you order.. the 12 by 16 kit is available for 1100 bux Canadian

we decided on each ordering one 12' by 16' as bunk houses for each family and another 16' by 16' as a kitchen area .

the kits come complete with shingles walls and and for an extra 200 bux we were able to get insulation for each unit thrown. We could have gotten sideing but we decided that we were going to paint the units with earthtone colours so they blend in better.

next weekend we are going clear out the areas for the buildings and hopefully the following weekend we can make the forms for the floors and maybe pour the concrete.

the area we chose has a small fresh water creek passing thru it and we are basically on the ocean but we are leaving about 20 feet of treeline by the ocean for cover from the wind and from passing boats..

anyhoo thats my weekend

If you have any additional ideas be sure to let me know

our curently plan for this year, as the snow will soon be flying, is to get as far as the clearing and the concrete floors.

If time allows I may till the ground in the garden area for next years garden

·
Registered
452 Posts
If time allows I may till the ground in the garden area for next years garden

If you have time start a leaf compost pile for next nears garden.

If the property is a long drive from your house, make sure on every trip you bring as much stuff as you can. You can store it under a tarp (rugged supplies).

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would highly recommend that you DO use siding on those buildings.. you can get it in earth tone colors.. heck you can get it in pretty much ANY color you want. It will serve as a very important protection layer against the elements! I also, and I cannot stress this enough... you must wrap the building in a product called TYVEK it is from 3M and it is used on 98% of the construction you will see in the US.. it is a thermal wrap product. if you just used tyvek alone and siding over it, then you really wouldnt need to insulate the inner walls... however... I recommend doing both!!

Please do this. I want your retreat to last you and your family for years.. DO NOT SKIMP OUT on this!!

If you just have the bare wood, and paint it.. it WILL NOT LAST!! You will HAVE TO paint it every 2 years minimum. More then likely, you will be doing touch up work on these buildings every 3 to 6 months... moisture will destroy them quickly! that is why it is so very important to wrap the buildings in TYVEK and side them!!

I live in Nebraska, we have very hot and humid summers, and cold winters.. I have seen buildings that you first describe that were built only 5 years ago, and they look like they have been there for 30 years! The people that build these things, wether they are lazy and just dont finish them, or they intentionally left them like that.. the buildings are weathering away in less then half the time they should last...

I sincerely hope you take my advice.. I know the cost will be quite a bit more then you may like to spend... but ultimately the initial costs will be saved in both labor up keep and money...

Good luck

-MadMike

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MadMike

I read your post and your arguement has made alot of sense to me and my cousin, we decided that when the time comes we are going to Tyvek the wals and we also decide to add "ice and water sheild under the shingles..

thanks for the advice guys, it was well recieved

Tugger

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
MadMike is right. My husband and I put up a 10'x12' shed. We painted it and have to paint it every couple of years. It is deteriorating slowly each year. I'll remember the TYVEX for the next shed we errect.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did much the same with three units ..poured footings..laid up 3 courses of block..burried the units after waterproofing...has a wood burning stove in center unit..wood floors...basically only half the front of one unit and the roofs are exposed...I did not do it as a retreat but a falll hunting get away...an earth berm and retaining wall of concrete block and trees bloack the view from the rural road...there was a well there but we never set a new well head...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts