Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got the 3M 7502 medium size half mask ordered online and 2091 P100 replacement cartridges 12 pair also online.

I got lucky today it turns out in my area that the mask and replacement cartridges are hit pretty hard between going to 4 different big box stores I did manage to get lottery lucky and get two packages so 4 pairs of 3M 2097 P100 replacement filters. That is absolutely the only thing that was on the shelf between 4 big box stores. I say lucky because I lady was directly behind me walking right where I was when I picked up the cartridges and she immediately turned around and walked the other way I am pretty sure she was after the same thing.

This whole situation is sad and I feel bad for painting contractors. Needless to say I am also buying for my parents as well as my girlfriend that we have a 5 year old kid by. I think I am good on the amount of cartridges for a while from what I read I should have about a year supply since you can wear the things for a month at a time or 40 hours which ever comes first.

·
Sam Adams was right....
9,069 Posts
Biggest help was saving money with the use of swimming googles HUGE thanks I was able to get the half mask ordered no problem and ordered 3M medium

On to respirator buying and again thank you a ton very grateful for your replying and ignoring the negativity

Glad I could help....

I remember how helpless I felt about respirators (less than a month ago!) until I started self-educating...

If you really wanna deep dive on respirator/PAPR/gasmask tech youtube has a couple channels with fellas who are very literate on the topic....

BTW, PAPR stands for "Purified Air Powered Respirator"

their handles on YT:

Weaponsandstuff93

DukeNougat3d

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
Ebay is selling MSA Ultra twin masks (these are real pure air masks)
Get two filters (one for each side) most are expired, but do not worry, for this they will work just fine.
While you on Ebay get two pre filter caps. I got 4 for $10 bucks.
Then head over to Amazon and get MSA pre filters. You are set.

Screw the filters into the mask, put the pre files and caps on top of the filters and you can now walk around without a care in the world.
All of MSAs pre filters are N95 or P95 rated (N not oil resistant, P are). Plus the filter is P100.
About 100 bucks and you will not have a care in the world. You ass is worth a 100 bucks, right.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Given that the PRIMARY purpose of masks is to contain YOUR coughs, almost anything will work to some extent. Paper towels, multiple layers of knit t-shirt material, und-und-und.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The virus is spread through respiratory droplets that are emitted when someone coughs or sneezes usually. If a droplet is inhaled through the nose or mouth, or gets into your eye, you can get the virus. The filters don't have to stop the virus, only the respiratory droplet that transports the virus, so the idea that it only stops you from giving it to someone else doesn't make much sense. If that were true, why would medicos and decon teams be wearing masks and eye protection?
The droplets disperse after a cough or sneeze in a pattern that roughly parallels the inverse square law, meaning that the further you are from someone who's emitting droplets, the lower the concentration of droplets that you will be subject to. So when you hear someone sneeze or cough, move in the opposite direction. Double the distance and the concentration of droplets decreases by a factor of four.
Like many pathogens that affect humans, it has evolved to flourish in the human respiratory tract, so we're talking warm and wet. Take away the warm and wet, or seriously alter the chemistry of the environment and with enough time the bug should be ineffective.
Gloves and masks are the first step, but don't forget to protect your eyes. I use safety glasses that seal well around my eyes and don't make me look like a bank robber.
Just my opinion to take or leave.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I’m making back up face masks. I’m using 2-3 layers of cotton plus a layer of zorb heavy duty dimpled fabric between the cotton layers. The zorb fabric has a tangled weave. This was recommended by Wazoodle.com as a good alternative but they make no guarantees. It’s more breathable than pul which was my first choice. It cost me $27 per yard.

I tried to find the n95 but it’s made in China. Layers are approximately 11 by 7 inches and pleated at the sides. The front cotton layer opens at the top forming a pocket for n95 inserts when they become available. There is twill running inside at the top and bottom and measures 28 inches each. These can be tied around the ears and adjustable depending on the person.

The mask is washable with a little bleach. I can make Superman or Spider-Man for small and big kids. The mask fits almost to the ears and unpleats enough to cover all the face. Safety glasses will help seal along the nose. These are an alternative to purchased masks. I don’t believe they can make masks fast enough for all of us

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,264 Posts
I’m making back up face masks. I’m using 2-3 layers of cotton plus a layer of zorb heavy duty dimpled fabric between the cotton layers. The zorb fabric has a tangled weave. This was recommended by Wazoodle.com as a good alternative but they make no guarantees. It’s more breathable than pul which was my first choice. It cost me $27 per yard.

I tried to find the n95 but it’s made in China. Layers are approximately 11 by 7 inches and pleated at the sides. The front cotton layer opens at the top forming a pocket for n95 inserts when they become available. There is twill running inside at the top and bottom and measures 28 inches each. These can be tied around the ears and adjustable depending on the person.

The mask is washable with a little bleach. I can make Superman or Spider-Man for small and big kids. The mask fits almost to the ears and unpleats enough to cover all the face. Safety glasses will help seal along the nose. These are an alternative to purchased masks. I don’t believe they can make masks fast enough for all of us.
You mentioned washable with a little bleach...

If anyone gets the silver impregnated fabric, be aware they caution not to use bleach or even the oxy-kind of non-bleach.

https://www.wazoodle.com/zorb-silver.html

https://www.wazoodle.com/pre-activated-zorb-3d-cotton-dimple-silver.html

·
Master Mason
2,692 Posts
Okay, I made a couple. I picked up a box of #4 Cone Coffee filters. I had the rubber bands, paper clips and tape. It worked great. Nice and snug. I could put my reading glasses and sunglasses on them no problem. Like the OP said, it’s better than nothing. Cheap alternative for yard work too.

Now I know I can make them as a last resort. Even for just flu season.

If there’s a run on masks, this was a good idea.

:thumb:

·
Retired kafir
17,240 Posts
After getting several requests I did this video for my youtube channel. Before the flaming starts, yes, its not a N95 but it sure beats having nothing at all.:eek::
Great idea. :thumb:

Don't forget to decorate it with your sharpie. :D:

Heck, decorate your real ones too.

Attachments

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
13,411 Posts
I saw this really clever innovative and inexpensive (10 cents) temporary respirator. It may easily improve your defenses, or be an added defense to a typical mask or whatever you have or use.

It uses a kitchen sized trash bag with draw strings. Since these will temporarily hold water and are water resistant, they should offer fairly good viral defense if sealed well.

So if you don't have a box of trash bags, go get some on your next trip or order some online!

https://youtu.be/2H24vTTKzHY

·
Retired kafir
17,240 Posts
As long as we are joking around. ..

At least this one has eye holes.

hmmm..

In case the popo tries tear gas on you.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
Yes. Both will filter out the droplets that the virus is carried by.

But they are only as effective as their seals, and only if you don't do something like rub your nose with your contaminated hands right after you take off your mask.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
The best mask is the one you have, and will reduce risk, nothing will eliminate it.

Even the most effective mask if 100% effective would still leave you at risk if you touch your mouth WHILE you remove your mask with your dirty stinkin' hands ;)

If you have options in social settings I believe an N95 will provide sufficient protection. This as others will note, is not the best at filtering out lipid proteins, which corona is. However, in social settings, a reduction in viral load will reduce the chance you will be exposed to the required ID50 to "catch it". Where you feel viral loads will be elevated, p100 would best suit those higher risk areas.

There will be limited resupply of masks for the public, so what you have is what you have.

These are "single use" items, however, I would suggest you figure out ways to keep the inside of that mask free of any conaminants and consider airing them out for a week so any virus left on it is innactive.

·
Only politics *****.
5,414 Posts
Masks work best for protecting others when you're sick to keep your germs and virusses on yourself. They don't help too much if someone coughs at you and you take your mask off when you get home or where you need to go.

121 - 140 of 215 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.