Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have noticed many people talk about needing to make extra money to cover preps or just to help to provide help to their families in these tough times. I did a thread a while back on my son's creative way of making money by putting on licence plates for people at the DMV so I thought I would show you another "Out-of-the-Box-thinker" that I know!

Meet my good friend and neighbor Keaton!

He wanted to make extra money after he retired some 30 years ago, that's right he is 91 years young. He noticed that people would drive by his house on the way to a State Park about 15 miles away and he thought they might want a nice custom, hand made walking stick.

He sells about 25-30 sticks a week from $10 to his supreme sticks for $75. He'll even custom one to fit your hand just right for a few extra dollars. He gathers his sticks around his farm and a few other neighbors for free and coats them with what he calls "Polly". He works 6 days a week and never works on "The Lords Day" (Sunday). He sits out front of his house and carves all day and meets people and hopefully sells them a good walking stick.

Some of his ready to GO inventory

Sticks under "Production"

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/CinciJeff09/DSC_0107.jpg?t=1272472052

I am NOT suggesting you go back in the woods and start selling walking sticks. I am suggesting to be inspired by a 91 year old man who thinks out of the box and makes a nice living making and selling a service and a product to fill a need.

Keaton say's he works in a partnership. He says the Lord makes the product and he puts ribbon on it!

·
Limpin to safety.
7,637 Posts
That does it, I'm moving.

Reactions: OhioMan

·
Super Duper Moderator. I'm helping!
9,779 Posts
He's proof that money actually does grow on trees.

#8K
:D: Yes, he is ... and congrats!! :thumb:

I have been dog-sitting for a friend. I did a little research and if I can pick up 5 dogs (who would pay the going rate) I would be making as much as I was when I was working ... and not have the expense of driving to work, eating lunch out or dressing like I make a million bucks (silk stocking law firms, enough said) every day. Just scoop a little poop daily and hand out a treat or two. Who would of thunk it??

My neighbor runs an in home day care (for people kids). She was in the back yard the other day with a half a dozen kids screaming and yelling while she was referring a squabble. The dogs and I were out in my yard. The dogs were sunning quietly and I was drinking a beer, enjoying the sunshine as well. She is thinking about changing careers! LOL

·
Potential Roux-Ga-Roux
1,447 Posts
I'd like to shake Keaton's hand and buy a one of his creations.

Reactions: OhioMan

·
Super Duper Moderator. I'm helping!
9,779 Posts
I know a guy around here who quit his job to walk and or sit dogs. He makes more now than he did working full time. I would do it but he did it first, and i would have to move to another neighbourhood...
My dad had a pharmecutical rep who worked for Pfizer while her kids were in school and then take sabbatical and mow lawns in the summer while they were home. Single mom ... she finally quit Pfizer her third year after starting her lawn mowing business. Said she made enough money in the summer to live through the winter without the second income. (And this was a long time before lawn care services were considered a "necessity".)

As a kid, I remember thinking that was pretty cool. As a grown up I think she was amazing ... :thumb:

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I've seen guys who make walking sticks earn a small fortune at festivals. I own a couple of them myself. They can be pricey, especially if they have any carvings, but when you consider the amount of work that goes into them, it's quite a bargain.

I can see how dog sitting would be a money maker. I know in the bigger cities, dog walkers also make a goodly chunk. I had an online friend who used to do that and she would make several hundred dollars a day. She sent me a pic once. Wow, did she ever walk a pack of dogs! It was almost comical to see.

·
Keeping it Simple
1,074 Posts
:D:
My neighbor runs an in home day care (for people kids). She was in the back yard the other day with a half a dozen kids screaming and yelling while she was referring a squabble. The dogs and I were out in my yard. The dogs were sunning quietly and I was drinking a beer, enjoying the sunshine as well. She is thinking about changing careers! LOL
Recycle those beer cans and you will be double dipping!

·
Registered
34,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man I keep coming back to this thread to look at his product. This guy is talented. Are some of them actually twisted or is it carved into the wood?
He finds them twisted like that, if your in an area that has lots of wild vines growing in a woods that wrap themselves around tree branches and cause that effect.

There not hard to find once you know what your looking for. One of his "specialties" is do do carvings on the handle. Mostly like faces of men with long beards etc., I have only seen a few of them that he's done so I don't know what he gets for them.

His nitch is that his house is along the way to a State Park where people hike, so they see the sticks and pick one up for a few dollars. We've bought 3or four from him and have them leaning against the fireplace, they look nice there and people always comment on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.