Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was late to the party and only able to get a couple of tubes of wipes last week. The stores have been out for a week now. I'm thinking that using baby wipes which are very plentiful with alcohol poured over them. But I won't use too much alcohol as it may evaporate. Just enuf on the top layers.

If no alcohol or wipes then will start using surgical type gloves which I have a couple boxes of.

Man...as bad as it was before, wouldn't it be nice if we go back to pre-virus days?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I took some flush-able cottonelle wipes I had stored (for 4 years), double bagged them in gallon freezer bags and doused them with a good amount of 91% alcohol. They work great. Make sure the total amount of liquid is at least 60% alcohol.

I found out that I don't really need to zip more than the top zip because I can just fold the bag over.

I don't think the alcohol would evaporate too soon in one of those plastic containers because you can buy the same thing on Amazon. Waiting for mine to arrive today. I guess I bought them just in time.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WP1MFS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
My first wife of long, long ago learned the trick of cutting-up old diapers and keeping them in a widemouth canning jar with alcohol from her mother. That was in the 1970s. Use 'em, return 'em to the jar unless they were too dirty. Frugal woman, was my mother-in-law.

Today I'd cut up old t-shirts. Hard to find cloth diapers anymore. For the jar, use the ones that Smuckers Natural peanutbutter comes in. They reseal so tight that even acetone can't get out.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I was late to the party and only able to get a couple of tubes of wipes last week. The stores have been out for a week now. I'm thinking that using baby wipes which are very plentiful with alcohol poured over them. But I won't use too much alcohol as it may evaporate. Just enuf on the top layers.

If no alcohol or wipes then will start using surgical type gloves which I have a couple boxes of.

Man...as bad as it was before, wouldn't it be nice if we go back to pre-virus days?
Let the wipes dry first. You want at least 60% alcohol, and you can only realistically purchase about 91%,so you can’t afford the dilution From the existing water.

Good wipes are going to had a residual disinfectant, typically a quatinary ammonium compound, so your wipes will be inferior in that sense, so you want to saturate the wipe, and make sure the surface being cleaned is wetted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is one of the most valuable diy wipes
We are quickly seeing panic buys in the stores and it's getting harder to go out of the house and buy up wipes or other supplies.

I took some flush-able cottonelle wipes I had stored (for 4 years), double bagged them in gallon freezer bags and doused them with a good amount of 91% alcohol. They work great. Make sure the total amount of liquid is at least 60% alcohol.

I found out that I don't really need to zip more than the top zip because I can just fold the bag over.

I don't think the alcohol would evaporate too soon in one of those plastic containers because you can buy the same thing on Amazon. Waiting for mine to arrive today. I guess I bought them just in time.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WP1MFS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't have any baby wipes or alcohol you can pick up a few wipes at the store that they offer for cart cleaning. Get some going in and out and put in a little plastic bag. If anyone would say something, which is unlikely unless you are a hog, tell them they are for cleaning your hands in the store and for cleaning the products you buy that have been handled by other people.

Some stores, customer service, libraries and public buildings offer squirt hand sanitizer on their counter.

I only have 2 cans of germ wipes. And I was lucky enough to buy them after the run on preps. I didn't have any in storage up to that point. I never cared about germs, so never prepped for them.

I went to a number of stores yesterday and all shelves were empty. One store did have a couple of cans of disinfectant wipes for the home, but it said not for personal use. With the way things are going I can't afford to use my wipes daily as I will be out in no time. Only 40 wipes per can. I was using a wipe twice if it was short term like 10 - 5 minutes and it did not dry out much. But still, I can only nurse the wipes so much.

I do have 4 small hand sanitizers, but never use them....inconvenient. I like the wipes. I bought the hand sanitizer with the 2 cans of wipes. When I went back the next morning it was too late to get more wipes or sanitizer.

...again if you do grab some freebie wipes at the store...don't hog them and ruin for everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts