Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Nice work there. Most people (my firends & family who garden included) just do not get how important composting is... the size of the tomatoes growing the background of your first video shows what a good garden can produce.

I mulch leaves & grass clippings together with the lawnmower like you do, but I don't stir in all that dirt. I take that mulch & spread it a couple inches thick around all my plants in all rows. It keeps the ground moist which drastically cuts down on the amount of water needed. Then in the fall I till in the mulch that is left which makes the soil much healthier.

One thing you mentioned that I question is using old tomato plants in your mulch. I've read many times before not to do that because it reintroduces the virus, insect eggs, etc. from the previous year. Something you might check up on.

Again, good job.

·
"Through a glass, darkly"
1,948 Posts
Boy! That was a lot of work! Nice video record.
Since I haven't built my composting bins like I used to have, I do what I call "sheet composting". In the fall, I take a lot of the materials you used and layer them over the garden plot, then till them in. The material decomposes all winter, until being tilled up in the spring again.
My favorite composting system is with three bins. More correctly, they are "stalls". The first bin is for raw materials, layered brown-green-dirt, brown-green-dirt. That bin is turned and watered until it's broken down a bit, then transfered to the next bin, and the next batch is started in the first bin. The second bin is watered and aerated until it's nearly done. Then it's transfered into the third bin, where it's screened with a shaker frame and ready to use. Ideally, I have two "works in progress" and take my finished compost out of the third bin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
very interesting!

my first time composting... besides what you have put together, can i throw in paper products,egg shells, old veggie leaves, outdated bread, things of that nature? or is it just leaves and grass. just curious.

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
my first time composting... besides what you have put together, can i throw in paper products,egg shells, old veggie leaves, outdated bread, things of that nature? or is it just leaves and grass. just curious.

paper products - yes as long as they aren't magazines with that glossy ink.

eggs shells- no they take too long to break down and are left over when you come to use th compost.

veggie leaves- yes

bread- ive heard people who do it with no problems, but if you are going to do it keep an eye out for rats. keep it well away from the house if you are putting cooked products in it.

meat, fish, cooked veggies, lemon and other citrus, sticks over a half inch in diameter - i wouldn't put any of these in as they don't rot, attract rats and/or make the compost too acidic.

also don't put in any thorny bush cuttings as they will not rot and will hurt when you come to spreading the compost.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
66 Posts
ok this may be along the lines of the citrus stuff - but i am getting ready to start my first composting experiment - and i have tons of pine needles in my front yard. The trees/needles have basically killed all the grass around them - so i am just going to put a bunch of mulch out there - can i use the pine needles in composting or will that make it useless? I also have a TON of those dutch elm weeds (that grow into trees) that i am constantly having to dig up/pull up - can that go in as well or would i be risking making them into steroid laden dutch elms when they came out :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts