Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Jack of many trades
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd share progress so far.

Found an old, long, chipped file at a barn sale a while back, and was looking for an excuse to do something with it.

Father's day appeared on the horizon, so I figured that my dad deserved a good knife, one that he can use (and maybe show off a bit).

I annealed the file in a backyard camp fire first, then cut and did a basic knife grind. I left on the term "mill ba$tard" from the file, and kept some of the file grooves to give it some character.

I took a little time and refined the profile, and hardened using a combination of my propane cajun cooker and an acetaleyne (sp?) torch, making sure it got to non-magnetic. I quenched in old motor oil, which smoked like crazy and stunk to high heaven. Fortunately I was smart enough to do it outside, so I'm still married :)

After cleaning off the carbon and such with oven cleaner, I hit the back of the knife with a torch to temper the spine. and dropped it into some water to stop any further tempering (steel darkened more in the water, we'll see how it turns out, but the edge is still nice and hard, a normal file still skips across the blade).

Decided that the handle had to be special. Used a brass finger guard, and laminated some mahogany and black walnut together before another brass spacer, and then a deer antler crown. The finger guard got soldered on, and the rest assembled with a tight fit and some devcon epoxy.

Right now, it's still drying so I'll finish up my blade polishing and sharpening, and finish shaping the handle before finishing with some nice oil on the wood, and wax on the antler. I'll post pics of the finished knife.

Only problem is that I'm going to feel bad letting it go!

Attachments

·
Jack of many trades
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finished shaping the handle, put a coat of oil on it and touched up the blade a little. Need more work on the blade, but it's taking shape even better than I had it in my head.

Has anyone worked with deer antler before? I am putting a thin coat of linseed on it, but am not sure if it needs any other special treatments.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts