Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Outdoorsman
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some How-To's or further reading on how to make alcohol once we get to TEOTWAWKI. I am mostly interested in spirits or wines because I think beer generally has more ingredients (but I would like to see any good ideas on brewing beer after TSHTF).

I think that alcohol will be a resource that will be in high demand and will probably be consumed quickly. I would like to be able to make some moonshine, at the very least, for my own consumption as well as to trade with others (not to mention to use as fuel). Any ideas on supplies, ingredients or processes that will be needed to do this?

·
+ULFBER+T
784 Posts
I've never distilled anything (illegal) but have brewed a lot personally and a little professionally. By far the most simple means to produce alcohol is making wine... grape juice (or other) and yeast. Combine at the right temperature and wait. The hard part is getting the right yeast.

As far as distilling or making beer, the best thing to do is use the web... there are tons of sites with great information on how to do both. Just way too much information to even attempt to post here.

I agree it's a great skill set to have... crisis or not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wine is what I would pick. Wine can be done indoors and does not require a flame for cooking. You can make wine out of anything. Dandelions, grapes, apples, perscimmons.

You would have to have the right yeast. And sometimes yeast goes bad after storing for a period of time. I made about 200 bottles homeade Blackberry and Grape wine this year, and have become pretty good at the process.

The process is fairly simple, but time consuming. Bugs are a main factor when wine is being made. Wine flys have to be kept from ruining the wine and turning it to vinegar. It has got to be set in warm temperature for the wine to work and make alcohol. My Grandpa always said, "if there are no Wine Flys then the wine will not be good."

Beer is easier to make than wine and whiskey. I also made 72, 24 oz bottles of beer this year. It has to be cooked on a flame then stored in a large vessel to let the beer work and make alcohol. It also requires yeast.

Beer would be harder to make off the land in a SHTFS. Wine would be the simplest and would be the best to keep hidden from people. Whiskey is a little more dangerous to make and requires a still. It may be harder to keep hidden.

The worst thing, is letting people know you are making any of the three. People will always be bugging you for some and in SHTFS maybe even sabotage your operation.

In SHTFS, there is no way I could go without my old hooch. So an alcohol operation would have to be functional. It could also be bartered and traded. But I would make sure to keep the operation hidden.

·
Registered
954 Posts
And if you can get hold of the honey .... there is always Mead :)
Vikings couldn't get enough of the stuff. When the vikings raided a community and were chasing down people to kill the locals knew how to say their occupation in Danish so they would be spared and taken as a slave. Brewers and blacksmiths were high demand by the vikings so they would be spared. Viking slaves did not have that bad of life among the vikings. They could own money and buy their freedom. They were also protected by the same laws that the vikings lived by and were allowed to sue people in court.

There are some SCA (Society for Creative Anarchanism) have some good how to articles for mead making.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Don't worry about the alcahol. I live in KY now and grew up in TN/NC. We will have enough production going to ship down the river to you within two or three months.

We will be shipping it in plastic barrels and floating it down the river to St Louis and New Orleans on rafts and flatboats just like in the old days. It will also be going down to the east coast the same way, keeping the more populated areas in the best of moods.

Without governmant intervention there will be unlimited supply.

You guys on the west coast are SOL, we can't float that far.

·
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke
2,679 Posts
How to Make Pruno

Pruno, or prison wine, is a wine made in prison by inmates who are bored.

Ingredients

Baker's yeast
Fruit (example: 6 oranges)
Fruit cocktail
Sugar
Flavored candy and water.

1 Smash the fruit(oranges) in the ziplock bag with a hammer of just your fists. (leave the pulp in the bag too.)
2 Add sugar and yeast to a small cup to mix and then add that into the smashed fruit.
3 Add in the can of fruit cocktail and half a cup of water.
4 Put the whole ziplock bag into the bowl and fill the bowl with warm water to facilitate fermentation.
5 Change the warm water every day to get optimum results.
6 After fermenting for 7-8 days depending on the amount of sugar, pour the mixture through the strainer into the bottle.
7 Chill before serving.

How To Make Homwmade Wine

·
Registered
790 Posts
wine or beer should be a good thing if your water is questionable and you no longer have a means to purify it.

also, you can make a batch of brandied fruit and keep it going by adding new fruit to it from time to time.

I make cherry Bounce from time to time by adding 2 cups sugar and a fifth of cheap bourbon to 2 quarts of pitted cherries. Use tart cherries, not sweet. While the sweet is drinkable, the taste is just too much.

·
+ULFBER+T
784 Posts
Beer is easier to make than wine and whiskey.
I'm glad you mentioned SHTF because making real beer (not kit or DME/LME beer) is much more involved and much more difficult than making wine.

Real beer:

1. Harvesting barley
2. Malting barley (partially germinating the grains and then drying)
3. Crushing the malted grains
4. Mashing (extracting sugars with temperature controlled reaction in water)
5. Extracting the sugar liquid (wort)
6. Boiling the wort, adding hops (or other bittering agent)
7. Pitching yeast and allowing fermentation to produce alcohol

Your easy beer that you made basically starts at step 6... boiling. I think in another thread someone mentioned stockpiling malt extract. I think that might fall into the "unusual prep" category but I like the way they think.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
Making high quality alcohol for fuel is a lot more involved than making spirits. Heck, I was making peach brandy when I was 12-13 years old using an improvised still made from a pressure cooker and small diameter copper water line. It's not that hard to do. But refining it pure enough for use as a motor fuel takes a completely different type of still, or multiple passes through a regular one, if that will even make it pure enough.

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
I would have thought hard apple cider would be good to make in the middle of shtf. It's fairly easy to make---from what I've read--- and doesn't require a lot of equipment. From what I read you use white wine yeast.

I wonder about that yeast, though. Where do you get more once you run out of it? Does anyone know how to produce your own yeast, assuming you've got a piece of land you're using to grow food?

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,116 Posts
I am looking for some How-To's or further reading on how to make alcohol once we get to TEOTWAWKI.
Then get started.

... I am mostly interested in spirits or wines because I think beer generally has more ingredients (but I would like to see any good ideas on brewing beer after TSHTF).
Beer balances balrey and hops, two engredients.

Wine is simply fruit juice by itself.

Spirits? Can be made from sugar, or any veggie that has sugars and starches, potatoes, grains.

... I think that alcohol will be a resource that will be in high demand and will probably be consumed quickly
I agree.

... I would like to be able to make some moonshine, at the very least, for my own consumption as well as to trade with others (not to mention to use as fuel). Any ideas on supplies, ingredients or processes that will be needed to do this?
This has been discussed many times on this forum. :)

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
wine is easy. 2 gallons grapes 2.5 gallons of spring water 2 packs of yeast 2 5lb bags sugar. smash grapes add water. then sugar. take the yeast in cup of warm water stired up good and add. stir the mix. in clean 5 gallon bucket. put lid on lose stir everyday for 15 days . then remove floating grapes. let sit 15 days. no stiring. then your done.strain bottle

1 - 20 of 56 Posts