wood for frame $15.50 (total wood cost)
frence pole $6.50 each
Hinges $2.70 each
barrel bolt $4.75 each

Total cost was a little less than $50

·
Registered
195 Posts
Excellent video! Thanks for sharing this idea ... I was a bit lost at first, but this looks sweet!

Any thoughts on variations? Perhaps using a 55-gal drum instead? Maybe too much weight in that tho ...

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent video! Thanks for sharing this idea ... I was a bit lost at first, but this looks sweet!

Any thoughts on variations? Perhaps using a 55-gal drum instead? Maybe too much weight in that tho ...
That was a 55 gallon barrel. I found these plans on the internet somewhere. Of course they were not the exact plans, I am sort of the type of person to see something, memorize the important points and theory and then build as needed.

I think my improvements on the plans make it pretty strong. I stood on the base and I weigh about 210lbs.

Keep in mind that you are not filling up the entire drum with plants. You have to leave space to allow the grass and dirt to mix itself when you tumble it.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Good job. Probably should have some air holes added right? not sure what size, but it will need air to keep it from rotting - assuming you start putting a lot of stuff in it - grass will just become a slimy mess if it doesn't get enough air

Doesn't look like a 55 gal. barrel to me? those blue barrels that are part of your water collection system look like 55, but not those black barrels.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good job. Probably should have some air holes added right? not sure what size, but it will need air to keep it from rotting - assuming you start putting a lot of stuff in it - grass will just become a slimy mess if it doesn't get enough air

Doesn't look like a 55 gal. barrel to me? those blue barrels that are part of your water collection system look like 55, but not those black barrels.
Well I am trying it out for the first time right now. They are saying to turn it once a day and I think that is the key. I thought about putting air holes in it just in case.

The blue barrels are on a 1.5 foot platform so that the water can be gravity fed to the garden. That is why the blue barrels appear larger than the black. Both however, are the same height.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
My composter is square & sits on the ground - I have problems with grass getting slimy even though that thing is riddled with holes. The barrel with easy daily turning looks like a great answer.

thx again for the video

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went out and drilled a bunch of holes in the barrel. About 80 of them. I tried to space them out in order to insure the integrity of the barrel. These are like a quarter inch holes so that is why I put so many.

I can already see that it is draining better. Some leftover water started draining out of the holes. Also if I looked really close I could see some smoke coming out of the barrel holes after we had rotated it a couple of times. Which is a good sign. Cool

·
Barefoot Hillbilly
378 Posts
I saw the same thing Josiah and i'm planning on having the composter similar to yours and I'm going to probably do the same thing you have done with your rain barrels. Hopefully with this next pay check, I'll be able to get much of it done.

Question: Would cow manure be something I wouldnt want to put in a composter? I have a cow field in my back yard and I wanted to see if it would help or hurt my compost. I plan on mixing grass, leaves and table scraps with it as well.

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
where's ya get the barrel for $16 bucks at! I need A BUNCH of those! Everywhere seems to sell the blue ones for a ridiculous $80.

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
I saw the same thing Josiah and i'm planning on having the composter similar to yours and I'm going to probably do the same thing you have done with your rain barrels. Hopefully with this next pay check, I'll be able to get much of it done.

Question: Would cow manure be something I wouldnt want to put in a composter? I have a cow field in my back yard and I wanted to see if it would help or hurt my compost. I plan on mixing grass, leaves and table scraps with it as well.
You can compost anything! even nuclear waste. So long as your process is thorough that is!

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
where's ya get the barrel for $16 bucks at! I need A BUNCH of those! Everywhere seems to sell the blue ones for a ridiculous $80.
$80? Ouch!

This was at a farmer's co-op in a nearby town here in southeast AL. It HAD them but last time I was there they had sold out. When I bought mine they had about 25 on hand and now they are gone. Makes you think a little huh?

·
ozarks hillbilly
749 Posts
nice work
im thinking of making one out of a steel drum but I believe I will just drill my holes with an sks :D makes short work outta it and is more fun too. this may be an option for everyone here, I dont know if my local range allows shooting barrels but I can also use private property so Im not worried.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I really liked your video on building a composting bin. The instructions were explicit and easy to follow. Thank you so much. My friends and I will make good use of this bin design.

·
The West Coast Kid
164 Posts
Great video Josiah922! My uncle has a device similar to this on his farm but he built a slightly different frame. He really does enjoy over-engineering even simple projects if it gives him a chance to use an oxyacetylene torch :D His frame was inch wide tube steel, but he built it so that the bottom of the barrel was about a foot higher than the top of his wheelbarrow. He also added a bicycle cog to the barrel's central pole and had the chain come down to a hand crank.

I regret not having a picture, but I may be able to get some in May.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts