Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever make their own? Was searching for dried egg/dairy products today (I need to figure out my eggs & butter solution...) and I'm came across this.

http://www.ehow.com/video_7847017_make-own-powdered-eggs.html

What do you all think? I'd make some minor modification, larger quantity of eggs, and using a cookie sheet or dehydrator, but the concept seems sound.

I've seen different products with with shelf life ranging from 5-10 years (Honeyville) to MH and their 25 years. I wonder how long a home solution would last using mylar & OA?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Summer,

I must of used the wrong search phrase...But I did find other sources out there on the web where both pro's & cons were discussed, the con being short shelf life unless refrigerated.

·
Still here...
1,153 Posts
No worries. The search can be a little tricky. I'm sure someone will help you figure out the self life.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,548 Posts
Dehydrated scrambled eggs aren't really the same as powdered eggs and they won't work the same in many recipes. So it's best to experiment with them ahead of time to make sure that's what you want. For me, I only want actual powdered eggs.

·
Frozen Patriot
664 Posts
My research some years ago = pain in the arse, just go ahead and buy a few cases of #10 cans and be done with it.

Or......get some chickens.

DS

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Dehydrated scrambled eggs aren't really the same as powdered eggs and they won't work the same in many recipes. So it's best to experiment with them ahead of time to make sure that's what you want. For me, I only want actual powdered eggs.
Yes. This. You wouldn't end up with dehydrated eggs. You'd end up with dehydrated COOKED eggs. Might be great for camping or something. They're not going to act like eggs in lots of recipes.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I just did several dozen eggs (a lot of research) and am not happy with the taste. I did more research and some sites said to use them as an additive to omelets, salads, etc. I am really rather disappointed as I thought they would replace the real powdered eggs. I have several cases of whole eggs in #10 cans. So, I am assuming I need to use these for breakfast and use mine for filler. Live and learn.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, good comments.

I probably should of been a little more specific. I already have some scrambled eggs in #10 cans put aside, but I've been thinking more along the lines of cooking / baking (comfort foods) & that's why my thoughts have been along the lines of eggs & butter.

With that said, I think I'll make a batch of homemade dehydrated eggs this weekend, and then find a simple recipe that calls for eggs & milk, (rice pudding, oatmeal cookies or chocolate cake comes to mind) use powdered milk & eggs, and see what happens. I'll report back with the results!

Now to dig a little deeper for butter, don't know if I want/need clarified or powdered. But from the little I've been reading, it seems like there could be a place for both. Powdered for baking and clarified for cooking. If so, clarified could be used in both cases, but not sure if powdered could be used in place of clarified.

David

·
Registered
762 Posts
I dehydrated my own eggs. Yuck! Easy enough but they never did really dehydrate and tasted awful. In small quantities, you can buy meringue powder which is dehydrated egg whites in the cake decorating department. If I have to bug out, I have a dog crate reserved for my hens-they are going with me. I want fresh eggs wherever I am.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Thanks all, good comments.

I probably should of been a little more specific. I already have some scrambled eggs in #10 cans put aside, but I've been thinking more along the lines of cooking / baking (comfort foods) & that's why my thoughts have been along the lines of eggs & butter.

With that said, I think I'll make a batch of homemade dehydrated eggs this weekend, and then find a simple recipe that calls for eggs & milk, (rice pudding, oatmeal cookies or chocolate cake comes to mind) use powdered milk & eggs, and see what happens. I'll report back with the results!

Now to dig a little deeper for butter, don't know if I want/need clarified or powdered. But from the little I've been reading, it seems like there could be a place for both. Powdered for baking and clarified for cooking. If so, clarified could be used in both cases, but not sure if powdered could be used in place of clarified.

David
David, I would go ahead and buy powdered butter. You can get the powdered margarine also. I made some GHEE and am real happy with the outcome. But, I just use it around the kitchen. For your long-term storage get the powders I mentioned. You will not regret this. The best of luck to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts