Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mountain Critter
914 Posts
Interesting concept. The foam they picture looks like closed cell foam, somewhat similar (but maybe lighter in construction) to the foam rubber used in sleeping pads. It would not be breathable at all, and I think you would not want to use this clothing while working/hiking hard, because you would end up soaked in sweat and chilled when you stopped. But for sleeping in, or occasions when you had to do a lot of sitting still outside...very interesting.

I, too, would like to hear from anyone who has used products made from these patterns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Make your own foam clothing

I know a lady that makes her own winter foam clothing
It works very well for her family and I want to try it

Here is a good link of a man that spent a week above the artic circle five different times

www.jimsway.com/atjs1.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Foam Clothing Freezer Test

I have had quite a bit of experience with this idea. I worked with the inventor, Jim Phillips, for 3 years.

When used correctly this stuff will allow the user to sit on a stump, inactive, at -20 degrees and maintain a foot temp or 97-98 degrees for hours.

The type of foam you use is a huge factor. It must be open cell, and match certain moisture/vapor transfer rate (around 1200 is ideal).

The follow is a freezer test pitting two users outfitted in different cold weather systems to see which fails first. Failing was measured by which user went into hypothermia. The systems tested were a 1/2" foam clothing outfit and the military's ECWEC's system. The test was 4 hours long at -8 degrees. The foam clothing was handicapped prior to beginning the test by saturating it with 2 liters of water.

http://redhotlogo.com/index_files/Page301.htm

Burlington Coat put close to 2 million dollars into the research. They sent teams to live up at the Arctic Circle for 3-4 weeks straight wearing this stuff in the heart of the Arctic winter. It performed beautifully. Sadly 6 weeks before Burlington was to launch the concept into their clothing line the company was sold and the new owner dropped the project. Upside is that Jim walked away with all the research.

·
Registered
23 Posts
bad link I'm getting a 404 error
It's because he is no longer offering the finished clothing for sale. The economy hit him pretty hard, and his company went under.

Myself and a partner are building the stuff now. We have a site but it's in the beginning stages. Thus far we have the children's 1/2" clothing up.

http://redhotlogo.com/

If you're interested PM me and I can give you prices, etc. for the adult clothing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts