Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
ex-liberal :)
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now in Texas, we are going through a huge heat wave and drought. One of my pet-peeves is when the bra I am wearing gets all sweaty and grimy. Something simple I thought up is to wear a shirt or camisole under the bra, then wear another shirt on top of the bra. Today I was exploring a dried creek bed with my friend. It was 105 degrees today. I wore a very light long sleeve t-shirt under my bra, then wore a tank top on top of my bra. The layered look is fashionable, while wearing a long sleeve shirt protects from sunburn.

since t-shirts and camisoles are easier to wash than bras, this would also serve well in a survival situation. It saves water and time, while doing the double duty of keeping yourself more comfortable.

·
TEXAS!!!
7,278 Posts
Right now in Texas, we are going through a huge heat wave and drought. One of my pet-peeves is when the bra I am wearing gets all sweaty and grimy. Something simple I thought up is to wear a shirt or camisole under the bra, then wear another shirt on top of the bra. Today I was exploring a dried creek bed with my friend. It was 105 degrees today. I wore a very light long sleeve t-shirt under my bra, then wore a tank top on top of my bra. The layered look is fashionable, while wearing a long sleeve shirt protects from sunburn.

since t-shirts and camisoles are easier to wash than bras, this would also serve well in a survival situation. It saves water and time, while doing the double duty of keeping yourself more comfortable.
Thank you for this tip! I'll pass it along to the females in my hosehold.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
I agree with your thinking. If your even slightly big then you can get rashes etc that come under the breast and itch like crazy and can take special creams to get rid of.

My mother used to use cotton wool strips tucked under the breast.

·
Customized Member
529 Posts
If I know I am going to be outside in the heat, or even just doing hard work that I know will make me sweat a lot, I will put a little diaper rash cream on. Sometimes I will also shake a little cornstarch into my bra cups to help absorb sweat. It really seems to help!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know this isn't exactly the same thing and might sound funny but i've put a small blue ice pack tucked under my vest in my sportsbra on the really hot days. It really helps curve the stream of heat that comes up from under my vest. It's definitely better than the wet paper towels that I've put between the girls in the past, lol.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I hate bras and try not to wear them at all if possible! I wear the sports bras because the underwire of a regular bra causes too much pain and discomfort. Some shirts i have are like 1/2 tanks and I'll wear them instead of a bra if i can get away with it! In the winter, layers or a pretty vest over a blouse or a tanktop under a sweater!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sometimes I will also shake a little cornstarch into my bra cups to help absorb sweat.
Be careful with the cornstarch. A few years ago I used cornstarch on heat rash at the bra line, and it developed into a horrid nightmare. I think that the starch fed yeast and it took months to get rid of it once I figured out why that itchy rash never healed. I never use corn starch now - I use a generic of gold bond powder - the identical composition of the name brand, at a dollar store.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Ditch the bra completely and wear the kind of flowing, breathing clothing Muslim women wear. Anything that fits your body closely will hold in the heat and make you hotter. You want air circulation to cool your body.

I burned my bra back in the 70s and threw away most of my other underwear when I started having hot flashes and began associating with Middle Eastern women.

·
And?
96 Posts
Breast cancer survivor here. I have to wear a bra because of the radiation damage. I have to support the reconstruction. I can have no underwire. I found some wicking sports bras ad I love them. Although they don't look pretty. I like the idea of wearing the light shirt under the bra. I will try that when I have to wear a real bra. Nice idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Make sure you wear a 100% cotton bra. Texas is to darn hot for me to be wearing more than one shirt in the summer. But if i'm going to be outside than I will have on a 100% cotton bra (and it really does help).

Now if there isn't going to be anyone around but me, than the girls are gonna be free for the day because I really hate bras!

·
Registered
843 Posts
For those us with large cup sizes, a sports bra under a regular bra is really good on hot days when your planning on strenuous work. I played sports in high school and college, that was the only way to get enough support and not have the boob sweat issues. My husband always teases me about doubling up when I do yard work, lol.

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
Be careful with the cornstarch. A few years ago I used cornstarch on heat rash at the bra line, and it developed into a horrid nightmare. I think that the starch fed yeast and it took months to get rid of it once I figured out why that itchy rash never healed. I never use corn starch now - I use a generic of gold bond powder - the identical composition of the name brand, at a dollar store.
A lot of times the rash under the girls is a yeast infection and Vagasil will clear it up. You are correct. Corn starch would make it worst.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It gets up to 110 in my neck of the woods. I could never wear a light weight long sleeve shirt on a day that is 105. I end up wearing a swim suit top under my shirt that way I can just peel off the shirt if I need to.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,933 Posts
Due to my fibro I haven't been able to wear one in over 20 years. So, I don't have to worry about it. Thank goodness. :D:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ditch the bra completely and wear the kind of flowing, breathing clothing Muslim women wear. Anything that fits your body closely will hold in the heat and make you hotter. You want air circulation to cool your body.

I burned my bra back in the 70s and threw away most of my other underwear when I started having hot flashes and began associating with Middle Eastern women.
This sounds fabulous. I wish I could. I am far too large to go without a bra (J). It is sweaty and uncomfortable either way. Without the bra they are literally in my way and it is tough to function. I suppose I could go without long enough that I could just tuck them into my pants but lets be honest I don't think that is much of a solution LOL. I may have to try the shirt under to see if it works. I need between and under adsorption.

I wear through bras so fast I have often wondered what I will use when they have all worn out. What did chesty women used do for the past few thousands years? (please don;t say tuck them in their pants :( )

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
This sounds fabulous. I wish I could. I am far too large to go without a bra (J). It is sweaty and uncomfortable either way. Without the bra they are literally in my way and it is tough to function. I suppose I could go without long enough that I could just tuck them into my pants but lets be honest I don't think that is much of a solution LOL. I may have to try the shirt under to see if it works. I need between and under adsorption.

I wear through bras so fast I have often wondered what I will use when they have all worn out. What did chesty women used do for the past few thousands years? (please don;t say tuck them in their pants :( )
I have two looks,bra and bra less.I am so much more comfortable bra-less but feel I need one in social/work situations so my compromise is I wear when when I have to,but as soon as I'm home,I ditch the bra and have the freedom I desire.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts