Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
In 3-D
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a new pair of hiking boots and I'm really stumped and disappointed with what I've found out there. I'd prefer something in a mid-size height, with stitched soles, and rubber instead of that shiny black garbage that looks like it would put you on your back-side as soon as you even thought about a slick river rock. I haven't been able to find one pair that meets those 3 criteria, though. Does anybody have recommendations, or suggestions about my preferences (stitched vs. glued soles, etc) preferably in the range of $150 or less?
Thanks.

·
KY Fried Hiker
243 Posts
I've been looking for a new pair of hiking boots and I'm really stumped and disappointed with what I've found out there. I'd prefer something in a mid-size height, with stitched soles, and rubber instead of that shiny black garbage that looks like it would put you on your back-side as soon as you even thought about a slick river rock. I haven't been able to find one pair that meets those 3 criteria, though. Does anybody have recommendations, or suggestions about my preferences (stitched vs. glued soles, etc) preferably in the range of $150 or less?
Thanks.
The best hiking boots I have come across have been the Merrell Gortex hiking boots. I have trouble not wearing them all the time, as they are so comfortable but I bought them for hiking only. They were $125.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The best hiking boots I have come across have been the Merrell Gortex hiking boots. I have trouble not wearing them all the time, as they are so comfortable but I bought them for hiking only. They were $125.
I have the Merrell Gortex Moab boots. I dont wear them anymore though. I agree they are about the most comfortable boots I have ever owned.

But problem is they didnt last. Started having separation of the soles. Very disappointing. But while they were good they were great.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
I have merrell, not sure what model, and its sole (Vibram) is just a slippery garbage!
great shoes, awful soles!!!!
maybe just my luck!?

·
I live this form
12,202 Posts
Its has been tough finding a pair with a decent, goodyear welt sole. I for one don't want to spend $199 every two or three years for a decent pair.

Whatever you buy, I would make sure it is goodyear welt. I have some Matterhorns that are 9 years old, +.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a pair of Asolo. They are great boots. Full leather. Viabrim sole. they will last if you take care of them. Of course, most high end leather boots will last you if you take care of them properly.

·
Keeper of Tomes
1,704 Posts
If i had to choose a boot it would be an Asolo but if you havnt tried a good pair of trail runners your missing out.

·
"Always Be Prepared"
250 Posts
++2 on Danners!
They'll last many many years.
They're very comfortable, waterproof, breathable, vibram soles w/ added gripping substance, handcrafted and stitched.
A little pricier, but worth it, IMHO.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
I like Danners because they're a nice hybrid between comfortable and indestructable. My wife, who gets out less than I and doesn't necessarily require indestructable likes her Montrails. We chose those over the Merrels, because I hear mixed reviews about Merrels. :thumb:

·
Feuer Frei!
1,811 Posts
I have said this in many "what boots do I buy" threads, the fact is that every persons foot is different. It is important to find the boot that fits your foot best. Definitely use the suggestions that others have posted here as a start, but try on many different brands and types before buying. I can not stress this enough.

·
Dyin aint much of a livin
421 Posts
I bought 8" wolverines oiled boots from D-icks sporting. They are insulated enough to wear in winter and not over insulated to wear them in the summer also. I have not slipped on any wet grass or rocks (yet). I did have to buy new insoles for them because I have high arches and I love them. Boots and Insoles I have about $120 into them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts