Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got myself a MAK recently. I love AK's and i especially love well built AK's. What i love even more is that i only paid $125 for it!!! That is a steal. I felt bad taking it off the guys hands, okay not really. LOL. I really want to get rid of that "dragunov" style stock. It frickin sucks. I have seen the strikeforce stock set (i believe it is called) its a six position side folder and a pistol grip, that would be awesome. Does anyone have experience with these? I have found them in tan and black. I personally want it in OD, i guess it is nothing a little spray paint cant fix. It has a metal trigger in it, is that standard? The vibration is horrible. I do think i will be upgrading to a tapco trigger. Is it also standard that it will not accept 30 rd mags? I have heard this. I do believe good ol clinton wanted to make these" hunting" rifles. That is why it has a longer barrel and a flash suppressor. Is this true?

Either way my MAK has a long barrel, a flash suppressor, and it will accept 30 rounders. :thumb: i was told that they only take low capacity or drum mags. I guess i found the exception? I personally feel that MAKs are some of the best made AKs around. My favorite AK's are polytechs. I have also heard that poly made MAKs. That would be awesome. I have never even thought about seeing one. If i do, it will be mine.

What do you guys and girls think about MAKs? And what mods would yall recommend? As you can tell i got it so cheap i have a little room to trick it out. I dont want to spend much money, cuz i am uber-poor, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good deal on the MAK. I personally have a WASR 10/63, and it's one of the few "good" ones from Century. As far as the other items you have asked about: MAK's can accept 30rnd mags as standard, generally have a muzzle brake, all the trigger setups are metal, look for G2 on the side of the trigger, and I personally wouldnt bother with the Strike Force stocks. The sidefolding butt stock folds over the the charging handle and doesnt allow proper function. I have also heard that they are not too durable on the hinge. Mako makes some pretty good fore ends, and I would just use a standard butt stock, plastic or wood. Its entirely up to you want you see fit for other mods or accessories. Personally, Keep It Simple Stupid, less to go wrong. Hope it helps, enjoy and good shooting.

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the KISS method has always worked for me in the past. Why is it that information on MAKs is so hard to find? Everything wants to refer me back to the type 56. I guess it is similar without all the "clintoning" done to it.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I have several MAKs. . Get a Tapco G2 trigger and install it. Also you can install either a Tapco stock and pistol grip ( you'll need the long screw for the grip also) or one from K-VAR. If you want wood furniture you can get authentic looking wood from Ironwood designs or you can get a used romanian stock cheap from several sites and refinish it. Most stocks for ak's will need the sides sanded down some where they slide in due to the chinese guns having thicker metal recievers ( 1.5 mm vs 1mm). I like MAKs due to their heavier barrels and recievers compared to your standard akm type stamped ak's. The only drawback to them is that being blued instead of parkerized you need to keep them oiled as they will rust easier when out in inclimate weather. Edited to add: all MAK's take standard ak magazines. They were just imported with 5 rounders.
Some MAKs of mine:

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@larryp: wow that last pic looks sweet! I think i may go that route.

I also have a 10/63, but "technically" its my wifes. I just had to get myself a MAK because like mentioned previously they have thicker metal. I can compensate for the weight, it isnt too much of a problem. IMO AK's are the only way to go, just in case anyone has missed any of my previous postings. I like real mans weaponry as opposed to plastic junk. ;) LOL. Thanks for sharing everyone so far. Maybe we will get some more people to share their knowledge of this topic. Guns are fun! Maybe that is why they are just one letter different. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If it is an old model MAK then it was made by Norinco and imported by China Sports in the 1990s by one of five importers. Some of the MAKS have a cut in the lower rear receiver similar to the Draganov this can give you some problems with stock changes. If the rear receiver has a straight cut up and down changing is not a problem other than compliance with BATF regs. If you have a long barrel the gun is most likely a squad weapon type that originally had a bipod attached to the barrel. You will note a ring near the front site.

PolyTech did not make the MAK. Poly made far fewer guns for US sale and most were easily noted by the underfolding bayonet attached to the gun. If you change the trigger, the hammer and the complete stock set you will be pretty close to compliance with BATF rules. Don't give them a reason to come after you.

If the gun will take a drum it is not a WASR type. WASRs were made to accept the thin 10 round single stack mags only. Later they wells were cut out to accept standard mags. Your gun should be just fine.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If you get rid of the thumbhole stock, be sure you do all the other .922 compliance parts at the same time. Many of the aftermarket AK stocks do not work on the MAK.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
If you get rid of the thumbhole stock, be sure you do all the other .922 compliance parts at the same time. Many of the aftermarket AK stocks do not work on the MAK.
They'll work you just have to take a file and shave the sides down on the area where it goes into the rear trunnion. Even the angle cut rear recievers can be fitted the same way. All they did was take the regular recievers and cut an angle at the rear thinking it would make them harder to convert back. Actually all it does is leave a gap that has no effect on function as all the recoil forces are supported by the rear trunnion/ stock match up inside the reciever. If you look closely at ak stocks the reciever doesn't actually touch the little lip where the stock goes in. If you notice the second pic of mine it has a stock off a romanian STG-2000 put on an angle cut reciever It doesn't affect it's use at all. I just took a coarse file to the sides and top where it fit into the trunnion. Also you have to re drill the tang hole because it's slightly off from standard akm stocks.

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I do believe i will be going back to a wood stock like larryp had in the third pic. That just looks really nice. Imo, it looks like an ak is supposed to. :thumb:

@grinnen: i never said that poly made the MAK, i was saying that poly at one time made a MAK. I have never seen one but i do know that they made them at one time. Type in Polytech MAK 90 into google images and you will see some. :thumb:

What stock would yall recommend that i get for a straight cut stamped receiver? Please keep in mind i want it in wood like a real ak. Thanks

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks larryp :thumb: That is the way i am going. You the man or atleast the MAK man, lol.
thanks everyone for the good info. Isnt it funny how it started with strikeforce and ended with turning it back original? You just cant beat a standard ak, no matter how much "garbage" you put on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts