Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
This bit was of interest: "An immediate question is whether this slowdown presages a second Maunder Minimum, a 70-year period with virtually no sunspots during 1645-1715."

This would have been during the Elizabethan period, during the "mini ice age". Elizabethan clothing had layers and layers, because they were outside more than we are and their homes were not as warm. The layers of clothing was to keep them warm.Also, grain in some areas was no longer a reliable crop, and so people grew more potatos and turnips.

Countries that resisted growing more root crops had more trouble than those countries, like England, that grew more roots.

40 years ago when I was in school, a new Ice Age was predicted and folk were really keen on cleaning up our air to prevent it. Now it is global warming and people are really keen on cleaning up the planet to prevent it. Well, Clean air and a cleaner planet are nothing to scoff at! But I find it hard to get terribly worried about melting ice caps, ice ages, or whatever. I do not think that the science exists to accurately predict either.

A period of fewer sunspots means worse weather. Usually. But I am not going to get terribly worried about it. I can eat as many potatos and carrots as the Elizabethans did! Fried potatos, YUM!

People adapted.

·
Soon
1,444 Posts
Ice Age

If the beginning of COLD times started soon, how would your prepping change? Some say this could take time to happen, others like myself know things can happen suddenly, just look at the 'year without a summer' and then another year on top of that, could happen very quickly. Food shortages would be massive as growing seasons would be all out of a whack.:eek:

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
NO MASSIVE SOLAR ERUPTIONS ----- NO CMEs ----- NO EMP

Nuts I was lookin forward ta tha stoneage

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Ill take colder weather, it was 98 with a heat index of 105 here today, and its ONLY JUNE! Plus half the damn state is on fire, smoke everywhere, yeah, bring on some cooler temps.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Actually we're in a period of climactic minimum (Landscheidt minimum) similar to the Dalton minimum of 1812. Expect cool weather until about 2030. There won't be very many sunspots for a while and expect an increase in volcanic eruptions which may actually be the cause of the cool weather. See: http://landscheidt.wordpress.com/

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
If the beginning of COLD times started soon, how would your prepping change? Some say this could take time to happen, others like myself know things can happen suddenly, just look at the 'year without a summer' and then another year on top of that, could happen very quickly. Food shortages would be massive as growing seasons would be all out of a whack.:eek:
There would be some fine points that would change. Living under WARM times, I could pretty much grow something year round here in NC. I could get an earlier start on a lot of vegetables. With global cooling, it would like compress my growing schedule. And I'd need to give more careful thought to vegetable storage to get me through the winter months. i.e. pumpkins & winter squash would become more of a staple.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts