Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,
i recently purchased a used gas generator. thing works great, easy to start, but i'm unsure of when the last time general maintenance was performed on it. it's a 20 amp 5000 watt generac. old enough that generac no olnger lists it on their website so i can't get ahold of a manual. i'm assuming i need to change air filter, oil fliter, oil, spark plug, fuel filter. anyone here who can shed some light on this, including the best place to get parts?

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
I have a Generac at when it works it is sweet, but it is picky about maint. Here goes (when I get out to my BOL I will get the manual for you for exacts)

you need to change the oil, now not later.

You need to inspect clean and/or replace the air filter

Check and replace the plug if needed (also check the gap, will get you specs)

if its an OHV engine, check the rocker play with a feeler gauge (will get specs)

Its gas, so replace all fuel lines, clean the carb, and adjust if possible (or needed) My carb went out after about 400 hours, replaced with no problems since

Clean the gas tank after every season, drain, let dry, inspect.

If the generator has maint. ports check them for buildup and condition

Use compressed air to "clean" the actual generator air ports.

Check compression with a known good gauge.

Check spark with a spark tester.

Check the plug wire for dry rot and cracked insulation.

Remove the motor cover (front of engine) and check the flywheel and fins for corrosion/rust blow out the dirt and webs, remove rust etc.

Check all wiring (while NOT running) no frying, dry rot etc.

Once this is done you can generally rest assured that it is in tip top shape, and ready to store or use.

Dont forget that most generators like a little higher octane than a lawnmower, I like to mix 50% regular and middle grade, then treat all fuel with stabil even if I use it.

Also a good place to take it for any parts or service is a standard lawnmower dealer or shop, they generally have higher prices, but much better connections to get odd parts.

Hope that helps a little, and as always YMMV

·
Registered
525 Posts
Additional sources for information

Check your local library, they may have the specific generator repair manual you are looking for in their collection, or can get one through their library exchange program. I typically find the (generic, and specific manufacturers) generator shop manuals in the section with the automotive manuals. It would be useful to make a copy of the section specific to your model just in case, or if nothing else a generic shop manual might help with a cross reference. If all else fails send an email to Generac's customer service department, they might just email you the service parts list. A small engine repair shop may also have a set of manuals, it might be worth paying a buck a sheet to have them copy the plug/filter and service replacement part numbers. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts