Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the advantages to having windowed magpul pmag magazines over the non-windowed version? I can get non-windowed pmags for $15, and windowed pmags for $25. Is it worth it to spend the extra cash?:confused:

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
I spend the extra $3 and get windows.

Option 1-Without windows: Remove magazine, look down into magazine and see if any bullets inside, then shake the magazine to "feel" how many rounds are left using your experience of how a full/empty/half empty mag weighs. Okay, should I replace this magazine b/c I think its around 1/3 full? Where is my dump pouch so I can put this low but useable one in it?

Or With window: raise your cheek off the stock (without moving sights off the target) to see how many rounds you got. Then keep shooting.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I go windowless for opsec. The spotter for an enemy sniper can view your round count from a distance and relay the information. To keep track of my round count, I've trained myself to detect the difference in weight each round makes. So I can just hold my rifle and know. For the sake of fair disclosure, I just made all that up. I buy windowless and just practice fast reloads. I guess I'd keep track of rounds in my head if I got down to my last mag in a fight. Probably not though. Adrenaline typically destroys most minor details in a plan. To be honest, I mostly buy windowless because I'm mildly OCD about my gear and want it to match.

·
Remove Kebab
3,589 Posts
I use all windowless mags. The last two rounds in my mags are tracers. I'll know when I have an empty mag with one in the chamber. I bought a huge pile of tracers right before Sandy Hook at $8 a box. Got my friends and my sister to buy around a thousand each too.

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
I use all windowless mags. The last two rounds in my mags are tracers. I'll know when I have an empty mag with one in the chamber. I bought a huge pile of tracers right before Sandy Hook at $8 a box. Got my friends and my sister to buy around a thousand each too.
Im old school, I wait for the bolt to lock back LOL

·
Ultranationalist
12,878 Posts
This thread is very old.

There, I said it first. Now maybe the thread necro-nazis will stay away.

I don't buy windowed mags because they cost more. That's all. I came back from Afghanistan alright without using windowed mags. And I DID fire my weapon in combat. I didn't have any problem with round count then, so I can't justify paying an extra few dollars for a window.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I go windowless for opsec. The spotter for an enemy sniper can view your round count from a distance and relay the information. To keep track of my round count, I've trained myself to detect the difference in weight each round makes. So I can just hold my rifle and know. For the sake of fair disclosure, I just made all that up. I buy windowless and just practice fast reloads. I guess I'd keep track of rounds in my head if I got down to my last mag in a fight. Probably not though. Adrenaline typically destroys most minor details in a plan. To be honest, I mostly buy windowless because I'm mildly OCD about my gear and want it to match.
LOL had me going with the whole weight different thing, from just one bullet lol.

Also there have been no good PMAG sales recently!!! With all the cheap ARs maybe lots of people buying PMAGs.

·
The Time Is Now
6,398 Posts
I buy what ever is available and is cheapest. Most of the time that is the windowless pmag, sometime it isn't though. So for every 10 mags I have 2 of them with windows.

As far as knowing how many rounds are in the mag? It's not really reliable I have found trying to count rounds. There are so many things going on that you will be hard pressed to count. I'm talking real world shooting. Not range time. However, I try, try being the key word, to keep up with how many rounds I have discharged. With that being said, I train to change the mag when I stop shooting and I'm under cover. No matter if I have only sent 5 rounds down range. When in doubt change the mag out. I put the not empty mags in my dump pouch and if for some reason run out of full mags then I go to them.

Just how I do things.

·
Paratrooper X
3,537 Posts
I buy what ever is available and is cheapest. Most of the time that is the windowless pmag, sometime it isn't though. So for every 10 mags I have 2 of them with windows.

As far as knowing how many rounds are in the mag? It's not really reliable I have found trying to count rounds. There are so many things going on that you will be hard pressed to count. I'm talking real world shooting. Not range time. However, I try, try being the key word, to keep up with how many rounds I have discharged. With that being said, I train to change the mag when I stop shooting and I'm under cover. No matter if I have only sent 5 rounds down range. When in doubt change the mag out. I put the not empty mags in my dump pouch and if for some reason run out of full mags then I go to them.

Just how I do things.
I do the same for the most part. I feed my rifle from the left pouches (right handed) when the shooting stops I basically shift full mags to the left. Time permitting top off mags from mags that were partially used U should ALWAYS have a full magazine in ur gun

1 - 14 of 14 Posts