Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having issues with having the bolt not hold open after the last shot on a custom AR build using 20 round Magpul magazines. I was also having occasional FTF issues with rapid fire.

I thought it was a rifle issue. It had around 400 rounds through it and still could be breaking in. I always start with the magazine before I start fooling with the rifle. So I switched to another 20 rounder and found out it was also having the same issue. I switch to a Vietnam era Colt 20 rounder and was having the same issue as well.

I then switched to a 30 round aluminum Brownells and the issue stopped. So I switched to a 30 round Magpul and the issue stopped. I switched back to the 20 round Magpul and the issue started again.

Now I started to believe that the magazine spring in the 20 rounders was week or ???? Then I notice the 30 round Magpul and Brownells has green anti-tilt followers and and the 20 round magpul had black followers.

I took the 20 round Magpul apart and looked a the follower and it was clearly marked Magpul 20 round and was visibly shorter than the 30 round green followers.

So I put the 30 round follower into the 20 round magazine and WHALLA.....problem solved.

Now the downside to this is that the 20 round magazine now only hold 18 rounds....but I'd rather loose 2 rounds than FTF and last round bolt open issues.

What I can't understand is why Magpul doesn't have the a shorter anti tilt follower. There could be 3/4" to match the back guide. :confused: I am going to cut one of the 30 rounders down to the height of the 20 rounder but leave the anti tilt longer and see if that allows a full 20 rounds and stops the issue.

I have only had this issue intermittently in the past with 20 round magazines in certain rifles. I never though much of it as it happens from time to time with all rifles. Now I know why. I've changed all my 20 rounders over to 30 round followers.

·
Awakened
181 Posts
Wy don't you contact magpul. I am sure they might work with you.

Additionally you can easily purchase the anti tilt followers, I replaced all of mine with those.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wy don't you contact magpul. I am sure they might work with you.

Additionally you can easily purchase the anti tilt followers, I replaced all of mine with those.
I have follower so they are already replaced. I planned on contacting Magpul to ask why they don't make the 20 rounders mini versions of the 30 rounders.

I'll see what they say.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They seem likes. Good company and would work with you on issues. What gen is your mags.
Gen 1

Magpul is a great Company. I had an issue with them missing a nut on a BUIS. I called them and they mailed 5 new ones in less then 5 working days.

Great company and great product. I don't think this is a defect as much as it is these followers don't work in this rifle consistently. Either way I've solved the problem.

Since I've not see the Gen 3 20 rounders I can't say if they have the same follower as the Gen 1.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sounds like you have the old Gen 2 20 round mags, they had known issues with FTF and the bolt locking back on the last round. The gen 3 is a completely redesigned mag that eliminates these issues.

As you stated, contact Magpul and see what they are willing to do.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
I have three ARs (well four, actually, one is a pistol), do most of my shooting with 20 rounders, and Magpul (Gen 2 and 2), Brownell's GI Spec metal, couple of really old GI ones, and even Thermolds all run flawlessly in all of them.

Know a number of folks who run various 20 rounders on the range with bipods and no issues.

Obviously something peculiar to that particular rifle that it only likes a certain type follower, I'd suspect something not quite spec in the bolt catch assembly. Or longer shot that mag seats a hair lower than spec for whatever reason. Or something.

- OS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts