Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Observer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big fan of Nutnfancy and I know I have posted articles before questioning his knowledge but don't get me wrong he is amazing and my bug out bag is based on his advice.

Anyway... Maglite 2 Cell AA, no LED upgrade (or any other for that matter). The Maglite manual says that you should only really use Alkaline batteries but Nuntnfancy says Lithium is best (I agree with him but...) why does Mag Instruments insist I use alkaline?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
It actually doesn't matter for incandescent lights the Maglight comes with, but it DOES matter for LED lights (a little). I have the same Maglight with the LED kit and use NIMH rechargable batteries. Nothing bad happens.

The reason is, rechargeable batteries have a full voltage of 1.2 volts, and alkalines have a full voltage of 1.5 volts. Some electronic items, like my digital camera, will not work with rechargebles because they require every little volt. Only alkalines will make my camera work.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I have tried Lithium Batteries in my maglite mini and in my maglite solitares. Both blew out bulbs in under a month of use. Happened 3 times and I went back to alkaline batts.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Interesting. The rechargables are supposed to be LOWER voltage than alkaline. A higher voltage is what blew your bulbs. Perhaps the lithium are an exception.

Are you talking the rechargable lithium or disposable lithium? They sell both at the store.

I just looked at my disposable Energizer lithium battery and it said 1.5v. Same as alkaline.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Interesting. The rechargables are supposed to be LOWER voltage than alkaline. A higher voltage is what blew your bulbs. Perhaps the lithium are an exception.

Are you talking the rechargable lithium or disposable lithium? They sell both at the store.

I just looked at my disposable Energizer lithium battery and it said 1.5v. Same as alkaline.
Just your normal energizer lithiums throwaways. I have no idea why though. They seem to be ok with my LED upgrades though. Just normal bulbs thye blew out. I did notice that all 3 times, it was at turn on though. It would flash on then be burned out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts