Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Take me out to the black
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trashcan compost bin has been overrun by maggots (some corncobs got thrown in there whole).

Should I leave them in there to let them break down the organic material or just throw a black plastic lid on it and put them out in the hot sun to burn up into organic matter themselves? Are they harmful to my compost in anyway?

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
My trashcan compost bin has been overrun by maggots (some corncobs got thrown in there whole).

Should I leave them in there to let them break down the organic material or just throw a black plastic lid on it and put them out in the hot sun to burn up into organic matter themselves? Are they harmful to my compost in anyway?
If you dust your compost with diatomaceous earth, you won't have to worry about maggots in it. You can sprinkle it on animal droppings to eliminate maggots too. Wonderful stuff it is!

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Chickens love em!

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
No no Kregner, they would have to be in the sesspool for the camparison to work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.