Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
TrailBlazer
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have an Ak with a couple of 30 rnd mags for it. My question is, does it harm the magazine(spring etc.) by keeping it loaded in case i need it right away? How do you ready your ammo and mags?

If someones breaking down the door, the last thing i wanta do is ask for them to wait a minute so i can feed my mag with some crime stopper.:rolleyes::D:

Just dont know about this, feed back much appreciated! Thanks!:thumb:

·
Mr. Sailfish
349 Posts
Not sure to tell you the truth. I keep most mags loaded, but I don't know about long-term storage. For what its worth I've never had a problem...the springs seem to retain their energy either compressed or expanded.

But if I were to put a gun away for five years or so, I'm not sure what the damage done to magazines would be if they were left loaded.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
Loading a magizine to capacity can weaken the springs 'causing mis-feeds. Anyone with bush experiance in 'Nam will attest to this. 18 shells in a 20 round clip.

·
Grumpy Old Curmudgeon
341 Posts
Fully loaded mags won't hurt a thing.

Load them however you wish to and it'll be fine.

It isn't the compression of the springs that causes failure.
Only HEAT can change the temper of the metal.

What kills mag springs is the repeated loading and unloading.
Kinda like bending a strip of wire back and forth. Do it enough times and it breaks.

Loaded mags are fine.
It's an old wive's tale that it hurts the springs.

·
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!
249 Posts
Mags loaded... Check
Drums loaded... Check
Belts loaded... Check
Ammo linked... Check

I know, overkill...what do you need all that stuff for...
My wife likes it though...

I think I'm good to go...

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Fully loaded mags won't hurt a thing.

Load them however you wish to and it'll be fine.

It isn't the compression of the springs that causes failure.
Only HEAT can change the temper of the metal.

What kills mag springs is the repeated loading and unloading.
Kinda like bending a strip of wire back and forth. Do it enough times and it breaks.

Loaded mags are fine.
It's an old wive's tale that it hurts the springs.
The above is 100% true. Leave them full. The one thing you need to watch is that there is proper antirust lubrication on the springs and inside walls of the mag. They say tearing them down and cleaning and lubing to protect the springs from rust every 3-5 years.

A good coat of lithium wheel bearing grease may get you out of that job though.

·
TrailBlazer
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey everyone thanks for the response and info! I appreciate it greatly! :thumb::)

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Same question for having a lever action 30/30 or 44 mag Marlin or Winchester rifle...does keeping it fully loaded hurt anything?

·
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!
249 Posts
Tube mag springs in rifles tend to be a little weaker... I keep a 1894 357 loaded in the bedroom and have done so for several years... I rotate ammo and springs every so often... Just to be shure...

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I have heard it said that with modern 'spring metal' it is not the compression time, but the repatitions of compression and 'relaxation'

...I don't know.

I CAN tell you however tell you that I left (intentionally)
several of both 1911 and Ak mags loaded for five years.

THey were uneffected.

I have a couple 1911 mags that I loaded in 2000. In 2020 I'm gonna try them out....:D:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts