Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to get a mag extension for my 870 and there seems to be plenty of options out there, but I read on someone's website that the "dimples" pressed into the end of factory mag tube will prevent rounds from feeding properly. Does anyone know more about this and can comment? There isn't much point in being able to load more rounds if they won't feed.

I want to keep the gun modular and flexible. My plan is to keep it set up for extra capacity for home defense when at home then be able to remove things when I go out to hunt.

·
SKS gunner
193 Posts
I ran into the same problem when i got my tacstar mag extension for my 870 express supermag. no where on the web site did it say anything about it. Any way you have a few options. I have read some where that they make a tool that you drive in to the mag tube that presses the dimples back out. I wish that i would have had that tool but i did not so this is what i had to do. first i took the gun apart and and stuffed a rag into the end where you would usually load the shells to keep the metal flakes from getting in to the trigger assembly. then i took a dremel tool and ground the knobs off. if you are careful you can grind enough off with out going all the way through the tube. Here is where i had my problems. the area where i was grinding was very rough. the little orange cap you look for to check if the magazine was empty would not come back past that point after being loaded past that point.so the spring would stop. what i did was get some fine sand paper and just polish the heck out of it till it would slide freely.

all and all it wasn't too bad of a process. even after doing all of that i can convert it back to the stock form for hunting in about a min. All the dimples are there for is so that the spring wont shoot out and hit you in the eye when you take the tube cap off. so the only ill effects of the mod is that you have to be ready when you clean/disassemble the gun.

If you don't fell comfortable doing it the same way i did get the tool or take it to a gun smith.
Hope this helps later.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read some where that they make a tool that you drive in to the mag tube that presses the dimples back out. I wish that i would have had that tool but i did not so this is what i had to do.
Do you recall what that tool is called or is it just a steel tube with the correct outside diameter?

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
knox makes one that you can put in that will convert it to a mag type...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
knox makes one that you can put in that will convert it to a mag type...
Any links?

I just did a Google internet-wide search. I just found someone say they used an appropriate diameter socket and pounded that in to flatten the dimples. I may give that a try!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I drilled mine out with a drillbit and smoothed the edges of the holes with a Dremel tool and then put some cold blue on the inside of the tube to cover up the bare metal. When you put it back together, everything is covered and looks great.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
knox sidewinder is the mag one...there is a box mag version and a 10 round drum version. over priced in mo opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts