Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a hoe head that is made in the USA or Europe. Just about everything I am finding are made in China, Brazil or Mexico.

So far the only place I can find real made in USA farm tools is ebay.

Where can I find made in USA hoes and garden tools?

I want a slip on hoe head like a grub hoe. Something heavy duty that will last.

Those cheap garden hoes do not last more than a couple of years before they fall apart.

·
Certified Organic Grower
4,969 Posts
If you want USA made, try Bully Tools.

Not a huge selection, and somewhat decent quality.

Longevity in USA tools is almost at par with foreign these days.

Most hand tools here are turned over at end of season with the extensive daily use.

American Garden Tools are another choice.

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
I have a few old hoe heads that were made in the U.S.----quite some time ago. I picked up two of them at flea markets for a few bucks each and bought new handles. The other one I got from my husband's aunt, and had to replace the handle on that too.

They are old, probably from the 30's through the 60s, but I have been using them for years. Maybe look at a flea market if you want a good quality one and don't have to have one brand new. Mine will outlive me, as they are still in excellent condtion.

·
Registered
403 Posts
2 years ago i bought a hoe at my local farm store - broke in 30 minutes of actual use - made in mexico - what garbage.

I ended up getting a diff brand forget where it was made though.

Better off to find some auctions and get older well made items and replace handles.

My dad used to have sears shovels that would last 30 years before the handles would break or metal would get so worn down. Now its like I get a new one every few years cause they are made so cheap

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
Like Hannah says, flea markets and yard sales. where i find most my old axes, and sharp tools. just picked up a Mattock and a Go-devil USA made, as well as a set of 8" and 14" Log tongs, and a log jack. total expenditure, 18$. I will have to clean em up and rehandle, but thats about it. coat of black paint, and they ready to go.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Aren't Ames tools 'made in America'? Dunno bout new ones, but used to be good quality. Iirc they took over True Temper a few years ago. Find em at the big orange box.

·
Born to prep
3,651 Posts
Would this be a good time to learn how to make one?

Any blacksmith worth his/her salt should be able to make a hoe.

Have you looked in FoxFire to see if there is an article on how to make a hoe?

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would this be a good time to learn how to make one?

Any blacksmith worth his/her salt should be able to make a hoe.

Have you looked in FoxFire to see if there is an article on how to make a hoe?
Making my own stuff would be a very nice skill to have, but I am limited on time.

I have a lot of projects going on and blacksmithing will probably have to wait a couple of years.

Old fence line to clear and fence in a few acres.
Build a pole barn.
Toyota Tacoma I am rebuilding.
Old house I am restoring.
Clearing a small piece of land for a garden.
Planting a garden this year.
School to move up in the company.

Lot of irons in the fire

1 - 20 of 26 Posts