Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Knowledge is Power
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my local Armslist I found an ad for someone selling Federal LEO 9 pellet #00 and Truball slugs.

$100 for a 250 round case of buck
$150 for a 250 round case of slugs

I bought 3 cases of buck and 1 of slugs. I figure my grandkids should be set for deer hunting now :)

I also picked up a new lee turret press and jammed out 900 rounds of 9mm today.

I'd say it was a pretty productive day although my wife seems to feel otherwise ;)

·
What hell, pay attention
8,988 Posts
Looks like you made out OK. :)

Just an FYI on the Lee press, specifically, the powder measure. Id suggest two things.

One, dont take their powder chart as gospel. Id weigh a bunch at first and randomly as you go along, to see that youre getting what youre supposed to be for the powder youre using. Mine "always" came up light, and I usually had to go up a number or two to get the correct weight. You'll have to do it anyway, if you use someone elses data.

Two, keep an eye on the measure as it throws, especially after its been used awhile. As they wear, they tend to hang up, and if youre not paying attention, can be an issue.

I had a Lee Progressive 1000 back in the 80's when they first came out, and loaded a couple of bazillion rounds with it, before it finally took a dump. I had a number of issues with the powder measure, and actually replaced them a couple of times. The only time I ever had an issue with reloading that was equipment related, was with those measures.

The downside to the progressives is, you dont get to check things as easily as you do with a single stage, and you need to pay a lot more attention.

·
Knowledge is Power
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like you made out OK. :)

Just an FYI on the Lee press, specifically, the powder measure. Id suggest two things.

One, dont take their powder chart as gospel. Id weigh a bunch at first and randomly as you go along, to see that youre getting what youre supposed to be for the powder youre using. Mine "always" came up light, and I usually had to go up a number or two to get the correct weight. You'll have to do it anyway, if you use someone elses data.

Two, keep an eye on the measure as it throws, especially after its been used awhile. As they wear, they tend to hang up, and if youre not paying attention, can be an issue.

I had a Lee Progressive 1000 back in the 80's when they first came out, and loaded a couple of bazillion rounds with it, before it finally took a dump. I had a number of issues with the powder measure, and actually replaced them a couple of times. The only time I ever had an issue with reloading that was equipment related, was with those measures.

The downside to the progressives is, you dont get to check things as easily as you do with a single stage, and you need to pay a lot more attention.
I'm pretty familiar with this particular press. This is the second one I've owned. I sold the first one as I was getting out of the military and regretted it for about 2 years. I'm going to use this until we actually move and I have the room for a progressive.

Thanks for the advice though! I kinda look at this press as expendable. I would like to replace that crap powder measure with a higher quality one but I don't know about compatibility.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,988 Posts
Ive owned and used a bunch of Lee reloading gear over the years, and its always worked. Its not as refined or as robust as some of the others, but it always seemed to work OK, and was always reasonably priced.

Those powder measures fit right in there. They work OK, they just dont hold up as well as the other designs over time. They dont cost an arm and a leg either. :) As long as you know to watch them, its really not an issue until they start to go, and it becomes one.

Before going to far with loading, I would double check the loads they throw though, new or not, just so you know where you stand. You pretty much have to do it with all the powder measures too. Things change with powder from lot to lot and so does load data over time, and youre always constantly making minor adjustments. I keep records with mine for the different loads/weights, and still seem to always have to do some fine tuning from lot to lot.

Reactions: usmc0341

·
Knowledge is Power
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ive owned and used a bunch of Lee reloading gear over the years, and its always worked. Its not as refined or as robust as some of the others, but it always seemed to work OK, and was always reasonably priced.

Those powder measures fit right in there. They work OK, they just dont hold up as well as the other designs over time. They dont cost an arm and a leg either. :) As long as you know to watch them, its really not an issue until they start to go, and it becomes one.

Before going to far with loading, I would double check the loads they throw though, new or not, just so you know where you stand. You pretty much have to do it with all the powder measures too. Things change with powder from lot to lot and so does load data over time, and youre always constantly making minor adjustments. I keep records with mine for the different loads/weights, and still seem to always have to do some fine tuning from lot to lot.
:) I did throw about a dozen loads or so until I found the right setting on the right disk. Not suprisingly it was not the one Lee said it would be.

Once I found the correct setting I threw another couple dozen charges to confirm then continue to batch check every 50 or so.

·
Bugged out already
4,834 Posts
You did well! Slugs are perhaps my only SHTF ammo deficiency. I only have a few hundred of them.

Reactions: usmc0341
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.