Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mad Shrinkage
The videogame machines made by Atari, Nintendo and microcomputers like the Commodore 64 and the Apple II featured the 6502, a computer chip made by MOS Technology. The 6502 had only 4,528 transistors on chip. A Motorola M68000 had over 68,000 transistors (where it got its name).
An AMD RYZEN 3990X Threadripper features approximately 3.9 billion transistors.

The MOS 6502 was launched in 1975.
AMD Ryzen 3990X was launched in 2021.
46 years.

Reactions: SoJ_51

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
The funny thing is...that old Motorola chip cost more than the new AMD unit.

I remember the first time I bought a 64 MB memory stick, it was $65. Now you can buy 8 GB for under $40.

·
Over and Out
4,914 Posts
By the thread Title, I just assumed this was going to be a Babylon Bee piece about Hunter Biden in his speedos. :geek: jk

The world of Micro (and, soon to be Nano- ) Electronics is Truly fascinating, and the Co. I currently work for has a Huge part, Globally, in making it all even Possible, via ultrafast / super-precise and long-term-reliable Lasers for things like production-scale 'nano-hole drillers' / SMC welders / trimmers, and solderers.. :cool:

When yer working with traced-connections / "wiring", etc that are finer than human hair - Lasers are just about the only way to - reliably - get the work done, especially on mass-production scales. (y)

jd

·
Banned
5,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Animation has gone into "unreality" - the Matrix is here!

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,246 Posts
I'm amazed at how computing power has increased over time while, at the same time, costs have plunged.

I'm in my 60s, and for some strange reason, my high school had a focus on computers. Among other things, we used a time share system that gave us 3 hours from noon to 3pm on MWF. We wrote basic code, copied our programs onto paper tape, and played lunar lander.

We also had a "desktop" computer that had 1k (!) of memory. We couldn't do a lot with it, but then we got one that had 2k of memory. We could program that to print out, on a paper tape, the time every 10 seconds. Looking back, I can't help but marvel at how pathetic that was.

Today, I have a smartphone that's better than anything they imagined on the original Star Trek. Last night I was texting w/ a friend in Hawaii (I'm in the midwest US). Unreal.

My first hard disk drive was 20mb; I paid $420 for it, or $21 per megabyte. Today you can get a 2 Terabyte (2 TERABYTES!) hard drive on Amazon for $46.99. If my math is correct, that's 2 million megabytes for $46.99. Unreal.

When you see how far we've come in 50 years, it's impossible to imagine where we'll be in another 50,

Reactions: SoJ_51 and Cigars

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I'm amazed at how computing power has increased over time while, at the same time, costs have plunged.

I'm in my 60s, and for some strange reason, my high school had a focus on computers. Among other things, we used a time share system that gave us 3 hours from noon to 3pm on MWF. We wrote basic code, copied our programs onto paper tape, and played lunar lander.

We also had a "desktop" computer that had 1k (!) of memory. We couldn't do a lot with it, but then we got one that had 2k of memory. We could program that to print out, on a paper tape, the time every 10 seconds. Looking back, I can't help but marvel at how pathetic that was.

Today, I have a smartphone that's better than anything they imagined on the original Star Trek. Last night I was texting w/ a friend in Hawaii (I'm in the midwest US). Unreal.

My first hard disk drive was 20mb; I paid $420 for it, or $21 per megabyte. Today you can get a 2 Terabyte (2 TERABYTES!) hard drive on Amazon for $46.99. If my math is correct, that's 2 million megabytes for $46.99. Unreal.

When you see how far we've come in 50 years, it's impossible to imagine where we'll be in another 50,
In 50 more years we will probably have 2 soup cans with string pulled tight between them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts