Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One topic that doesn't seem to be very well covered is a kukri vs machete. My local surplus store has a sale on "bladed weapons" and i noticed a ontario kukri. I love their sp line and this is no different. It feels great and the handle is leaps and bounds over my ontario machete (which i love also). I was wondering what benefits a kukri has over a machete and vice versa. Only problem with this is that the sheath is very mediocre but i plan on keeping it on a backpack and not on my belt.

It seems to me that a kukri would be better at "ax" related activities and other wooded chopping. Also, it would seem to be a little better at wood carving and finer skill activities. Machetes would appear to be a better brush clearer. Are these assumptions true or just false?

For me, when i'm in the outdoors i do more wood chopping over brush clearing but i do enough brush clearing to make carrying a ax not worthwhile.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The kukri Is actually a decent chopper it is meant to be a cross between a common machete and hatchet. it is made for thick brush, while the regular machete is a lite chopper and better for grass,vines etc. But wood carving with both is more difficult than a knife.. But they can do this task as well.

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts

I could have just one knife but I have dozens, I could have just one gun but I have...had a terrible boat accident.

Depends on what you are planning on doing with it, each of these has been used but each was used for a different job. All around I suppose I would take the Kukri but if I was working in mostly marsh/grass areas the straight machete would be better. The Woodsmans pal and the brush hook both get used while clearing my fence lines and would have a place in camp but for choosing only one the one that fits your hand best and is good for your job should be your first consideration because an ill fitting poorly matched tool will just be misery not utility.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Gotta say, I took my new kukri into the woods this past week for a short camp trip, what a blast! It really depends on where you are going, and what you plan to use it for. I found it very capable of procuring firewood, as well as clearing overgrowth. The extra bulk the blade gives you towards the point helps with chopping, while the sleek design allows for easy carry on the belt, or pack. Plus you can't beat how beast it looks...the people I went camping with were calling it the black mamba. lol

·
Registered
313 Posts
the woodsman pal look great altough i never used it, but i know from my personal experience that a bolo machete is a good multi purpose blade. it have the straightness of a regular machete, for better handling and more accurate cuts when needed (my personal opinion) , but is heavier at the end of the blade for added chopping power.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I my personal experience the cheap kurki are junk and the expensive ones are extremely nice... i havent used the woodsman pal but ive been looking at them but if youre not going on a month long hiking trip the type of blade you choose (as long as its made of good materials) matters much less than youre skill with it. just my personal opinion but i carry a cane knife and its never broke or not been able to do what i need it to do... i have a kurki as well its a condor i love it but it falls short of a small hatchet/cane knife combo that doesnt add much more weight

·
Hunter-gatherer
1,762 Posts
I've got a Linder that I love. It's a great chopper as well as an awesome brush-machete. Almost a full 3/16" thick and with a convex edge. I don't feel limited with it at all. But I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. I always thought a kukri was a cross between an axe and a big knife (stabbing). No slight meant to the kukri at all.

·
Hunter-gatherer
1,762 Posts
What about a kukri machete, its a combination like this one from Budk.com http://budk.com/Knives/Big-Bohica-Kukhri-Machete

Gotta really check these (cheaper) machetes out before you buy one. I bought a nice $10 machete from BudK. It had plastic handles on it so I decided to make some better wood ones. When I removed the plasic ones I saw they welded the handle to the blade right where the handles covered it. That's exactly where it will break if you're doing any real chopping with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had my Coldsteel kukri for about 5 years now. It has never let me down, and I don't see it letting me down anytime soon. It's cheap, strong, takes an edge easily and cuts through wood with ease. I would not hesitate to buy another or recommend anyone buy one.

·
أنا واحد
6,631 Posts
I prefer an authentic Kukri. The newer ones only have the shape of the blade not the heft of the quarter inch spine beveled to the edge of the blade like an axe. They cut better than a hatchet.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Woodsman's Pal's are $20 and easy to use in the brush. They attach pretty easy to packs and have better weight forward and more compact than a machete.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gotta cast my vote for the kukri too. I have two genuine, old school steel kukri, and they are great. Thick heavy blades that will go through anything, as well as two small skinning blades in each sheath. Although the skinners on one are too rusted to be of much use (told ya they were old school :D:).

Also, for those that are inclined to take this into consideration...the kukri is the business when it comes to sentry removal. The Ghurka (who invented the kukri) were masters of ninja-ing up on the enemy. If said sentry was wearing a helmet, the weight of the blade allowed for easy decapitation. Helmetless sentries offered the option of a vertical stroke to the cranium. Just sayin.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts