Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured this would be the best place to put this query.

Does anyone know if any of the things done in MacGyver are true to physics/chemistry/etc... I'm leaning towards "no" since Hollywood is always a disappointment but it'd be cool if I could tell the wife that I needed to collect all the seasons in the name of survival!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
IIRC, there is a free eBook someone wrote that goes episode by episode critiquing what was possible and what was not and the science behind it, especially focusing on the escapes.

·
Registered
784 Posts
i would say that no most ofwhat he does is not posible.

but there is one ting that he does that is very posible. when he gets in a bind he stays calm and thinks the problem through. which is the first step.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Although most of the solutions aren't 100% correct, the core idea usually might work.

@firecraft: You need every episode to learn creative thinking in all types of survival situations. And also to study the art of wearing the mullet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mullet? Check!
Paper clips? Check!
Chewing gum? Check!
Calculator watch? Check!
Wallet sized periodic table? Check!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Anything to do with chemicals or explosives was altered for obvious reason but the concepts supposedly were solid.

On another note MacGyver was an awesome show when I was a kid. I still watch it to this day!

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
Anything to do with chemicals or explosives was altered for obvious reason but the concepts supposedly were solid.
That is what i heard also, that one step or a ingredient was left out
On another note MacGyver was an awesome show when I was a kid. I still watch it to this day!
I have bought them on DVD (at least the lst four seasons) nice to have something clean to watch with the kids.

Reactions: Leif the Lucky

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Having probably seen every episode (I was a very bored kid), I would say most are not feasible, but each has truth behind it.

Mythbusters on Discovery Channel did a MacGyver episode not all that long ago. Some things worked, some things didn't. Even the ones that didn't ended up having SOME truth behind it (chemical reactions that work, but aren't strong enough to do what hollywood showed).

·
Wanderer
15 Posts
The Mythbusters did an show on this. Tried to reproduce some of the stuff from the show with various degrees of sucess.

pat

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know he had the guts to face down any dilemma if he was going to sport the mullet all that time. And with a theme song like that how could you not be inspired to save the day with a bottle-cap, AAA battery, and a small woodland creature!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts