Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oldest daughter got her first can of pepper spray today. The boy friends mother gave it to her. I bet she would get expelled from school if they found it in her car.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Pepper spray and "Mace" are two very very different things. Some "pepper sprays" are barely enough to season my food. Check the Capsasin percentage. To check take the OC% on the bottle and the SHU (heat unit). You want OC in the 2-10% with the highest SHU you can find.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
Mace is a tear gas.

Pepper spray is also known as OC spray (from "Oleoresin Capsicum"), much, much better :D:

Reactions: wewild

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Says don't store above 120. That all there is on the canister about temp.
By heat rating, I mean the heat level that the OC is rated at. Here's a good link that explains a lot. They don't go into much detail about heat rating vs percentage, but there is a lot more info out there about it. My friend works at the Sherriffs Dept. and is one of their pepper spray trainers. He verified the accuracy of the website's statements on oil vs water based, and heat rating vs percentage.

http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/relatedinfo/whatis.shtml

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,540 Posts
Both in the military and in the LEO world; before you can be certified to use mace / pepper spray / tear-gas you must first be sprayed with it.

I have undergone military grade gas 3 times during my career.

I would seriously recommend that on a day when she has nothing else scheduled all day long that she take a shot right between the eyes. To see what it is like, to know it's power, and to understand the effects.

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
We always used Cap-Stun, but there are others that are supposed to burn like hell fire. Saber Red, FoxLabs 5.3, DefTec Bodyguard LE10, and Freeze+P, just to name a few.

I still have a couple of Cap-Stun personals to this day. I'm thinking of tossing a can of Saber Red in my GHB for whatever one may encounter in the process of humping back home...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Pepper spray is good stuff. I use it a lot at work, and it is usually quite effective. But make sure your daughter understands that it might not work on everyone (some people just aren't affected by it, others may be under the influence). And even if it does work, it usually takes a good 30-45 seconds before you'll see any reaction at all.

It's not fun, but I also agree that she should experience how the pepper spray will affect her before she has to use it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Since when do Schools have the right to search your vehical?:confused:

Hahaha what a question... We have drug sniffing dogs in our parking lots during school hours a few times every month, they even go to the cars parked down the street which are not "on campus" according to school rules about leaving campus, but are apparently on campus for searches. People have been expelled for having knives in their car while parked down the street from the school. HOWEVER, if for some reason a girl was caught with Pepper Spray in her car, I doubt it would be a big deal. Pretty easy to claim self defense on that one.

(I'm a high school senior) I'm not sure what age/school the posters daughter is, but this is for HS.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Hahaha what a question... We have drug sniffing dogs in our parking lots during school hours a few times every month, they even go to the cars parked down the street which are not "on campus" according to school rules about leaving campus, but are apparently on campus for searches. People have been expelled for having knives in their car while parked down the street from the school. HOWEVER, if for some reason a girl was caught with Pepper Spray in her car, I doubt it would be a big deal. Pretty easy to claim self defense on that one.

(I'm a high school senior) I'm not sure what age/school the posters daughter is, but this is for HS.
In the complete B.S. world of "zero tolerance" I'd get something in writing that said it was either OK or not OK to keep in a car on campus. If they can kick 4th graders out for drawing a gun, they can kick out a senior for having pepper spray. :mad:

·
Misfit Toy
2,185 Posts
I've been sprayed. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I don't think it would benefit her any to take a dose. As long as she understands how and when to use it, and it's effects.
I totally agree. I can't see where subjecting her to that would benefit her, really.

x2 on your comments and a strong emphysis on wind direction. :D:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been sprayed. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I don't think it would benefit her any to take a dose. As long as she understands how and when to use it, and it's effects.
If she doesn't understand how it will affect her, and she sprays an assailant, and some blows back on her... will she be capable of getting away?

I don't agree that she should spray her face with it - but spray it onto a cotton swab and rub some on her skin, and possibly on her nose, or close to the eyes (very small amount). The more prepared she is the more she will know how to use it. Any self defense item should be fully understood.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
As Raven stated, FoxLabs and Saber Red get very good reviews for their effectiveness. I bought a small personal one for my wife for when she goes running. I also have some stored around the house.

Some of the delivery systems for your home are quite ingenious.
Canisters and hoses that spray from your door and even pepper grenades that can fill a room with peeper mist.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.