Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone this is part 1 of my MasterPiece Arms Mac-10 review. The model I have for review is the MPA30T-A. This is the full size 9mm Mac-10 from MasterPiece Arms.

The first part I’m going to start off with is the fit and finish. This seems to be a small complaint on a few of the Mac series.

The fit and finish on the Mac-10 from MasterPiece Arms is great. The welds have been cleaned up with no sharp edges on it all. I have to look really close to see the welds. They cleaned them up really well and then painted the gun with a flat black.

The second thing I’m going to talk about is the sites. The sites have been a big complaint on the Mac-10 series. I can understand why and see that now after really holding one in my hands. I have held others and didn’t pay much attention to it then.

The MasterPiece Arms has an ok site on it and its something that won’t be a problem with shooting it and being right on target. I think where the complaints lye with it is the Mac-10 series has a small hole to look through. These are not normal open sites you would see on a handgun and that is something that you just have to get used to.

I have been looking to see if I can make a scope mount of some kind without having to put it on rail that would have to be attached to the Mac-10 permanently. I believe I have found a way of doing this.

The front take down pin is right under the front sight. The front sight has holes on the side of it and I believe I can mod something to work with the take down pin and front sight. I will have more on this later on and maybe a video to show what I’m talking about.

The third thing I’m going to talk about is the grip on the Mac-10. I have heard complaints that it’s to thick and one thing people hated about it. The grip is thick but not that bad.

The grip on it I can see where it would be great in full auto and maybe something to get used to compared to other handguns in semi auto. My Glock G19 took me awhile to get used to and to adapt to shooting it. I feel this is something I will have to do with the Mac-10 and it’s no big deal on it.

The fourth thing I want to talk20about is the magazine release. I have read that some of the Mac-10 series where and are tough to get it to let go. I put the magazine in it last night and the MasterPiece Arms has no problems with releasing the magazine and let me take it out.

I’m not sure if it should drop free or if the design of it is to push and pull it out. I didn’t even try to let it drop free. This maybe something I will try and update in my second part of this review.

The fifth thing I want to talk about is the top cocking handle on the Mac-10. The cocking handle is another thing I have heard good and bad things about.

I have talked to others who have had other brands of Mac-10’s and they said the charging handle was sharp and would cut there hands when chambering a round. The MasterPiece Arms has no sharp edges on it at all.

I have also read that the charging handle got in the way of the sights I myself have not noticed this yet on it but maybe I will see something different at the range.

The charging handle is stiff but I feel it will loosen up a bit after I break it in. I was comparing it to my other handguns and I would say it would come close to my Polish Makarov copy I have. That’s really stiff as well and has gotten better over time so I feel the Mac-10 will also. This again is no big deal to affect the gun or me shooting it.

The sixth thing I want to talk about is the magazines for it. The MasterPiece Arms uses the sten magazines and I know I have read it’s hit or miss on used magazines.

This one comes with what they say is a new Sten magazine. I’m not sure if they are new or not as I thought they have not made new magazines in years. This one came with what looks like a new follower inside it. The body of the magazine does look new and never used and again I don’t know if it something MasterPiece Arms has done and went ahead and made them or just re-did original ones.

The magazine again is something I will know more about when I get to shoot the gun. I also have a few used magazines that I will get to try out as well. This is something I can talk more about in part two of the review.

This is all I have for now and if you have questions or something you want to me to talk about post and PM me. I can’t wait to get to the range with it and I hope to have a video of it at the range. I’m not sure how the range feels about cameras so I will see when I get there.

Thanks everyone for reading and stay tuned for part two my day at the range.

·
woefully unprepared
1,488 Posts
Did you pay around $500 for it? My friend was looking at one of these at a show the other day. I told him I didn't know anything about it, as it's not something I would ever buy. Let us know how you like it after you get to know it a little better.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey HotPrepper I will have a range report I hope soon. I find out tomorrow when I have to have surger on my gall bladder so I hope to either have it done before that or right after.

I paid 403 shipped to my FFL then 22 to the FFL holder. Tell your friend to talk to J&G Sales or Atlantic Firearms they have them before shipping 369 thats what mine started at. Im working on maybe doing a scope mount and that will be in another part of my review I hope lol. Stay tuned and tell your friend get one now while he still can and the mags are still cheap.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,685 Posts
It's just a "spray and pray" weapon as it's always been. I'd rather have a good Glock or Sig than a semi auto Mac-10.

·
Registered
308 Posts
While I will say that I don't like MACs at all(owned a Cobray for about a week,lol), you definately give a thorough review, and I will definately agree with you that if you might want one of these, you better get one quick, because if they do re-enact a ban this will definately be one of the first to be on the list along with ARs and AKs. Not to change the subject but, did you ever have that surgery you were talking about?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok let me try to answer all the questions. You dont need a class III to own the semi version of the MAC-10 like the one I own.

Kahn I have a Glock G19 so I wanted something differnt. I thought I had mentioned I owned a Glock in the review or some where else I talked about the Mac, but maybe not.

The sigs in my area are 7-800 guns not worth it to me. They are nice guns but not worth that.

Werewolf thank you for comenting on my review. I tried to do my best review before I go to the range and then I will have one as well from the range.

Brew I went with the orginal design cause it was cheaper. I like the side cocking one's and would have bought it but was out of my range.

I hear the Cobra models are a little hard around the edges. I do not see that with the MPA one its all clean and smooth no hard edges on it.

I have not had the surgery yet. I was due to have it this past tuesday but something showed up in blood work so I have to have some other test. They want to make sure I wont have another stroke while under.

I will have a range report I hope soon but right now to many doctor's appointments and test going. Stay tuned.

I wanted to add I think that any gun can be a spray and pray and if you train with a gun you should hit what you aim at. Thanks everyone and please stay tuned I hope to have a video of the day at the range if they allow it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.